Writers of the Past (14)

  • kenhaining777
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2011

      Here is a cross post from the group, Escape From the Fellowship

      I thought I would put another post by Jim Davis, restlessw.  This message doesn't come up on a search on his name, for some reason, but I found it another way.  It illustrates just how much damage the fellowship experience can do to someone's life.

      ***************

      Thanks for sparking some interesting thoughts. I know as far as I am
      concerned, and probably several others on this site,although we
      never made it into the ministry, it was an ambition that we strove
      for all in the name of serving God. Like some of those former
      pastors, we gave up career and education to seek God. My only
      encounter with former fellowship pastors was the man who had been my
      best man at my wedding in Las Cruces, NM. However, he was simply
      involved in another church that had a totally different way of
      abusing, although some similaritiesexisted between that church and
      the fellowship. I have spent the past nine years as a homeless
      individual, primarily due to a lack of marketable skills. I am in
      the process of working through that but sometimes
      I'm not sure things will ever change. I'm not bitter and I don't
      cast blame. I refuse to live in the mistakes and abuses of the past
      and to be haunted by them. I have left church altogether and would
      basically define myself as a non-believer. When trust has been
      broken in the ways it was broken by the fellowship, it is extremely
      difficult to hear the voice of God without hearing it in WOM's tone.
      So for my sanity I chose to walk away and start over. It is
      unfortunate that some former pastors can't do anything except
      pastor. The abuse that was promulgated in the fellowship does in
      fact continue far and wide even after Prescott's grip has been
      broken. And the cycle continues.

      March 22, 2006