PH pastor Threaterns legal action

  • miguel_hayworth
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10 1:31 PM
      From:
      "J Onel" <joang78@...>
      Add sender to Contacts
      To:
      miguel@..., thefirstplumblinechurch@..., webmaster@..., ssimpson@...
      Dear Editors of First Plumbline Apologetics,

      My name is Pastor John Onelum

      You have several 'untrue' articles about me and the church I currently pastor on your website.

      www.firstplumbline.net/html/thepottershouseinsidemanorpark.html

      I hereby write to inform you that I did not give consent to any of the authors (or any one acting on your behalf) to take pictures of me, or conduct any research on our worship service with the intention of publishing it on the world wide web.

      I find it very disturbing, that a 'Christian' organisation (as you purport yourselves to be) will post information on your site without a 'consent/permission' policy. Are you aware that this is not only an unfair (and unchristian) practice, but it has legal implications as well?

      I will be seeking legal advice and a way forward on this matter if you do not remove every image and reference to my name off your site in the next 24hrs (before close of play tomorrow Tuesday 11th August 2009)

      Kind regards,

      John Onelum
    • miguel_hayworth
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10 3:12 PM
        From:
        "J Onel" <joang78@...>
        Add sender to Contacts
        To:
        miguel@...
        Cc:
        thefirstplumblinechurch@..., webmaster@..., ssimpson@...
        Thanks for getting back to me Miguel.

        Miguel the PH church in Manor Park operates as a separate church, and does not have its own website? Furthermore, how do you verify if the 'various sources' are reporting the truth and not replicating a mood from the other sites/ or experiences of others (or simply have an agenda)? Miguel, I was never personally challenged (or even rebuked!) by any of the 'reporters' regarding the allegations presented on your site...as the saying goes 'I was damned if I did, damned if I didn't!'.. this was an unscriptural approach to addressing issues...it is so unfair...These are the things that makes this kind of reporting and publication seem biased if not disingenuous.

        I appreciate what you /your website is trying to do, but you might need to incorporate some further checks and balances to the way your report so it looks more civil and trustworthy. e.g.. a consent policy, challenging the church/minister about the issues raised before they are published, inviting the church/minister to provide a rebuttal to the allegations/claims etc.... are just a few thing you could consider. This could make your site more robust and engaging.

        I will still go ahead an investigate this situation with legal simply to verify the citations you have provided below are in context. (This is what I expect you to do with information you receive from reporters before you publish).

        Thanks again for responding and I hope you can see where I am coming from on this matter. I will be in touch very soon.

        God bless.
        John

        Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:16:40 +0000
        From: miguel@...
        Subject: Re: Pator John Onelum - www.firstplumbline.net/.../thepottershouseinsidemanorpark.html
        To: joang78@...

        Under Criticism and news reporting. section of the UK copyright law this is permissible, The Text used, Photos and quotations, that are referenced from PH website and other varied sources are for non-commercial research/news reporting/education and Criticism there is no profit or finacial gain from any of the work used in any of the website material.

        UK FAIR DEALING On Copyright LAW

        http://www.ipo.gov.uk/copy/c-manage/c-
        useenforce/c-useenforce-use/c-useenforce-
        use-exception.htm

        Definition of fair dealing
        "Fair dealing" means the right granted by copyright
        laws to reproduce limited portions of copyrighted
        works without infringing the legitimate interest of the
        authors or copyright owners. This right exists in the
        UK and other regions whose copyright ordinances are
        derived from the UK (such as Australia, Canada, New
        Zealand and Hong Kong). In the US, the term "fair use"
        is adopted.

        Fair dealing is a term used to describe acts
        which are permitted to a certain degree
        without infringing the work, these acts are:
        ° Private and research study purposes.

        ° Performance, copies or lending for
        educational purposes.

        ° Criticism and news reporting.

        ° Incidental inclusion.

        ° Copies and lending by librarians.

        ° Acts for the purposes of royal commissions,
        statutory enquiries, judicial proceedings and
        parliamentary purposes.

        ° Recording of broadcasts for the purposes of
        listening to or viewing at a more convenient
        time, this is known as time shifting.

        ° Producing a back up copy for personal use of
        a computer program.

        ° Playing sound recording for a non profit
        making organisation, club or society.
        (Profit making organisations and individuals should
        obtain a license from the Performing Rights Society.)

        www.firstplumbline.net/.../thepottershouseinsidemanorpark.html

        --- In slamthedoor@yahoogroups.com, "miguel_hayworth" <miguel_hayworth@...> wrote:

        > From:
        > "J Onel" <joang78@...>
        > Add sender to Contacts
        > To:
        > miguel@..., thefirstplumblinechurch@..., webmaster@..., ssimpson@...
        > Dear Editors of First Plumbline Apologetics,
        >
        > My name is Pastor John Onelum
        >
        > You have several 'untrue' articles about me and the church I currently pastor on your website.
        >
        > www.firstplumbline.net/html/thepottershouseinsidemanorpark.html
        >

        > I hereby write to inform you that I did not give consent to any of the authors (or any one acting on your behalf) to take pictures of me, or conduct any research on our worship service with the intention of publishing it on the world wide web.
        >
        > I find it very disturbing, that a 'Christian' organisation (as you purport yourselves to be) will post information on your site without a 'consent/permission' policy. Are you aware that this is not only an unfair (and unchristian) practice, but it has legal implications as well?
        >
        > I will be seeking legal advice and a way forward on this matter if you do not remove every image and reference to my name off your site in the next 24hrs (before close of play tomorrow Tuesday 11th August 2009)
        >
        > Kind regards,
        >
        > John Onelum

      • miguel_hayworth
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10 3:14 PM
          From:
          "J Onel" <joang78@...>
          Add sender to Contacts
          To:
          miguel@...
          Cc:
> [...]

          > www.firstplumbline.net/html/thepottershouseinsidemanorpark.html
          >

          > I hereby write to inform you that I did not give consent to any of the authors (or any one acting on your behalf) to take pictures of me, or conduct any research on our worship service with the intention of publishing it on the world wide web.
          >
          > I find it very disturbing, that a 'Christian' organisation (as you purport yourselves to be) will post information on your site without a 'consent/permission' policy. Are you aware that this is not only an unfair (and unchristian) practice, but it has legal implications as well?
          >
          > I will be seeking legal advice and a way forward on this matter if you do not remove every image and reference to my name off your site in the next 24hrs (before close of play tomorrow Tuesday 11th August 2009)

        • miguel_hayworth
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10 3:14 PM
            From:
            "J Onel" <joang78@...>
            Add sender to Contacts
            To:
            miguel@...
            Cc:
> [...]

            > www.firstplumbline.net/html/thepottershouseinsidemanorpark.html
            >

            > I hereby write to inform you that I did not give consent to any of the authors (or any one acting on your behalf) to take pictures of me, or conduct any research on our worship service with the intention of publishing it on the world wide web.
            >
            > I find it very disturbing, that a 'Christian' organisation (as you purport yourselves to be) will post information on your site without a 'consent/permission' policy. Are you aware that this is not only an unfair (and unchristian) practice, but it has legal implications as well?
            >
            > I will be seeking legal advice and a way forward on this matter if you do not remove every image and reference to my name off your site in the next 24hrs (before close of play tomorrow Tuesday 11th August 2009)

          • miguel_hayworth
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11 1:25 PM
              Flag this message
              RE: Pator John Onelum - www.firstplumbline.net/.../thepottershouseinsidemanorpark.html
              Tuesday, 11 August, 2009 1:24 PM
              From:
              "J Onel" <joang78@...>
              Add sender to Contacts
              To:
              miguel@...
              Cc:
              thefirstplumblinechurch@..., webmaster@..., ssimpson@...
              Miguel,

              As promised I have just sought legal advice about this issue and it has been confirmed that your referencing to the law is out of context and not relevant to the core issue at hand.

              You will be recieving a letter from my solicitors shortly. It will also highlight the potential 'damage' implications of your articles about me.

              Once again I advise you to remove this article and all related articles that feature my name, and image off from your site with immediate effect.

              Regards,

              John