The Door in The Netherlands

  • laurabrokke
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2009
      Hello, im Laura, 30 years old from the Netherlands. My husband and i have been to the Door church twice. Its on the other side of our street so we thought; lets have a look there! We first went to 'de kerk van de Nazarener' but thats a church with a lot of members so we were looking fore some 'smaller' church. Lots of mebers is a good thing, but when you are new its difficult to get to know the people if you know what i mean. In the Door church the people were very nice and askt us a lot of things, we thought that was nice because they liked us for who we are. But now on the internet i read so much bad stuf about CFM/the Door and i don't want to go there anymore. We also have a baby who is 5 month old and i feel guilty for bringing him there twice with us. Maybe someone can tell me more about why some people say that The Door is a cult/sect.
      I hope you all unsterstand my message cause my English is not that good.
      Greetings Laura
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2009
[...]

        Hi Laura.

        Generally speaking the Door, or Potter's House, CFM is a religious cult.  Yes, they are very friendly when you first start going there.  However, once they "lock you in" they begin to require more and more service from you, and more and more money from you.  The require a minimum of 10% of your income to be given to the church.  They have multiple services and require that you always be there, etc.

        Another couple of groups to check out are

        There is a bit more activity on those.  Freedom from the Potter's House is more exclusively Christian, and Escape from the Fellowship has both Christian and non Christian points of view.

        Perhaps we will see you over on those groups for some more discussion.

        Ken

      • samuel.detroit
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2009
          Hi Laura,
          When you first enter the cult you are in the Love Bombing period. Everyone is very nice and go above and beyond to do what they refer to as "lock you in". During this period you are not exposed to the harsh rules and doctrines of the CFM/the Door.

          For a better description of love-bombing take a look at this: http://books.google.com/books?id=75JSQtZLCq0C&pg=PA142&lpg=PA142&dq=love+in+period+cult&source=bl&ots=b1eLFg53VE&sig=vKPJIea8RkWqapE_4ci1e-Owb9s&hl=en&ei=2CZKSrz7N478MfD5tKMB&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

          It sounds so eerily similar.