Glad to see a support group out there.

  • hempkevin
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 15, 2008
      My wife and I left The Door about six years ago. People who are raised
      in a healthy church have trouble understanding the extent of
      manipulation and mind control that can take place within a cult like
      CFM. When we tell our own amazing story of abuse and, thank God,
      escape, people often say, "Why didn't you just leave?" That question
      makes perfect sense to someone who is a part of a church that is free
      to leave if they want to. At The Door, if you leave you leave with the
      fear that you are damned to hell. Anyway. I'm looking forward to
      sharing stories and offering support to anyone that needs it.
      -Kevin-
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 15, 2008
        [My wife and I left The Door about six years ago. People who are raised
        in a healthy church have trouble understanding the extent of
        manipulation and mind control that can take place within a cult like
        CFM. When we tell our own amazing story of abuse and, thank God,
        escape, people often say, "Why didn't you just leave?" That question
        makes perfect sense to someone who is a part of a church that is free
        to leave if they want to. At The Door, if you leave you leave with the
        fear that you are damned to hell. Anyway. I'm looking forward to
        sharing stories and offering support to anyone that needs it.
        -Kevin-]

        Hi Kevin.  Welcome to Slam the Door.  Actually, I use this message board to help people who are looking for the Slam the Door group find other ex members of Wayman O.'s fellowship.  The original Slam the Door group was taken down about three and a half years ago as a result of threats being made by current fellowship members of the fellowship to trace out people's IP address.  Also, the couple running the message board had been doing so for five years, and they were getting a bit weary of it.  Since they had concealed their identities, they felt it was time to move on before they were traced out.  Even though I have IMed with them many times, I still don't know who they are.

        I have nothing against people who want to remain anonymous as I know of people who received threats, and even one guy, who after he did a TV spot, had his tires slashed.  I, however, use my real name, as I don't care if they know who I am.  No need to try and track me down.

        Now, in regards to your post, you are correct.  Essentially, most people don't have a clue of what it is like to be in something like the Door, or the Potter's House.  This includes people who attend church, and people who don't.  They all say that line, "Why didn't you just leave?"  It takes hours to try to explain and most people, quite frankly, are not that interested in what happened to us.  One of the reasons that some people benefit from message boards like these is that they can finally communicate with someone who knows what they are talking about.

        My background in the fellowship is as follows.  I was ensnared in the Tucson church, the Door, in late 1975.  I was sent out to pastor in mid 1980, first to Deming, New Mexico, for one year, and then to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where I successfully pioneered a church.  I was in the fellowship for the break off from Foursquare Gospel Church, and for the 1990 exodus of leaders, pastors, and churches.  In 1993, after studying other Christian points of view, and embracing the ideas that Calvary Chapel was espousing, I decided to start changing things in my church.  I "got away with it" for about a year, but then a man in my church, who was functioning as an evangelist, called Prescott to "report" me.  My Bible study leaders voted to do away with the media rules, and I was called to Gallup, New Mexico, where they were having their conference, in April of 1994.  I was confronted by Harold Warner, my "pastor," and Dale Reece, the area leader, about my "rebellion."  I was told point blank by Dale Reece to reinstate the media rules or "get out."

        To make a long story short, my Bible study leaders did not want to go back to the legalism of the fellowship, so we opted to leave.  Wayman O. used the evangelist in my church to split it, and others opted just to get out of the whole mess.  In July of 1995, I decided to close what was left of my church, and I changed my beliefs completely.  I no longer profess the Christian faith.

        Back in 2000, I ran across Slam the Door and starting posting there.  Some have a great deal of difficulty with my lack of Christian faith.  However, I think I have a much better understanding of the Bible than I did when I was in Wayman's fellowship.  The main message board that I run for ex members of the Door, the Potter's House, etc., is Escape From the Fellowship.

        I would love to have you come over and share your experiences.  There are a lot of people who read there, who never post, or only once in a while.  We have a small group of regulars, both those who have remained Christian and those who have not.

        Recently another group was started by a woman who just left the fellowship a few months ago.  She posts on my group as well. The name of her group is Freedom From the Potter's House

        There is also a message board based in England, run by a man who calls himself Naboth, or naboth675.  His group is called, Slam the Door on the Potter's House

        There is a message board that was started back in 2000, called Potters House Survivors, which was unmoderated for years, and thus filled with spam, but has recently become moderated again.

        As I said, I would love to have you come over to Escape From the Fellowship and share your story.  Some are offended by a non Christian moderator, but I don't disdain the Christian point of view.  I have said many times that you can expose Wayman's religious racket with or without the Bible.  So I hope I see you over there.

        I always check these message boards, so if you just want to interact with me here, that is fine.  Also, there are people who read here from time to time who might jump in on any discussion.  However, you will more likely get the most interaction on the message boards above.

        Thanks for posting.  I look foward to reading your story.

        Shalom
        Ken

      • Kevin Hemp
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 15, 2008
          Thanks Ken for the invite.  I'm sad to hear that you've left the Christian Faith, but we all have to come to terms with the abuse of authority we were exposed to in the CFM.  I'd be happy to share my/our story sometime.  I need some time to write it all down so I'll opt for another time.
          Sincerely,

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Escape_ from_the_ Fellowship/

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/freedom_ from_thepottersh ouse/

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/slamthedoo r_on_the_ pottershouse/

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/pottershou sesurvivors/

          As I said, I would love to have you come over to Escape From the Fellowship and share your story.  Some are offended by a non Christian moderator, but I don't disdain the Christian point of view.  I have said many times that you can expose Wayman's religious racket with or without the Bible.  So I hope I see you over there.

          I always check these message boards, so if you just want to interact with me here, that is fine.  Also, there are people who read here from time to time who might jump in on any discussion.  However, you will more likely get the most interaction on the message boards above.

          Thanks for posting.  I look foward to reading your story.

          Shalom
          Ken

        • Bryan Hupperts
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 15, 2008
            Hi Kevin,

            If you have ever read or heard of the book Churches That Abuse, I'm the guy in the story. There is life, and grace, outside Wayman's ever diminishing shadow.

            Peace

            Bryan Hupperts
            www.SheepTrax.con/xpress

            Suspicious message? There’s an alert for that. Get your Hotmail® account now.
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 16, 2008
              [Thanks Ken for the invite.  I'm sad to hear that you've left the Christian Faith, but we all have to come to terms with the abuse of authority we were exposed to in the CFM.  I'd be happy to share my/our story sometime.  I need some time to write it all down so I'll opt for another time.
              Sincerely,
              Kevin]

              I will look forward to it.

              Shalom
              Ken
            • hempkevin
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 17, 2008
                --- In slamthedoor@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Hupperts
                <BryanHupperts@...> wrote:
                >Hi Bryan,
                It was the book "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse" that opened our
                eyes (me and my wife) to the abuse we were suffering at The Door.
                I'm sorry but I haven't read your book. I'm going to make sure a get
                a copy of it and read it as soon as I can. Thanks for responding.
                -Kevin-

                > Hi Kevin,
                >
                > If you have ever read or heard of the book Churches That Abuse, I'm
                the guy in the story. There is life, and grace, outside Wayman's ever
                diminishing shadow.

                > Peace
                >
                > Bryan Hupperts
                > www.SheepTrax.con/xpress

                > Suspicious message? There's an alert for that.
                > http://windowslive.com/Explore/hotmail?
                ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_broad2_122008

              • hempkevin
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 17, 2008
                  --- In slamthedoor@yahoogroups.com, "kenhaining777" <kenhaining777@...>
                  wrote:
                  >It's 2 a.m. and I can't sleep so I'm going to write some stuff. It's
                  been 6 years since my wife and I have left The Door (Christian
                  Fellowship Ministries). Why am I just now feeling compelled to make
                  contact with ex-members? I think it's because when you leave The Door
                  you carry with you the fear that you will become the very person they
                  tell you you will become. People who leave The Door become the butt of
                  jokes for Sunday morning sermons. We always heard how people that
                  leave the fellowship meet up with, made friends with and hang out with
                  other ex-members (backsliders), because that's what backsliders do.
                  They hang out with each other, wallow in sin and talk smack about The
                  Door. It makes me sick to think about the one sided thinking I'd been
                  conditioned to receive. Now that I'm on the outside looking in..."No
                  Duh"...I'm going to connect with ex-members because I have no one else
                  to connect with. The longer you stay at a fellowhip church the more
                  you become isolated. You are taught that other "Christians" are "Luked
                  out" (not as spiritual or as "on fire" for the Lord as "we" are)
                  therefore it's wrong to associate with people from other churches
                  because their spiritual disease may jump on you, attack you and bring
                  you down. Over time you end up not having any friends outside of CFM.
                  Ironically, things in the fellowship can continue along in a very nice
                  and pleasant manner for many years (as it did with us, I was in CFM for
                  12 years, my wife was in for 20). However, the minute you begin to ask
                  questions and "stick to your guns" is the time when you will truly be
                  knocked for a loop. When people get used to the status quo and operate
                  on mental cruise control for years, It's really tough to start standing
                  on your own two feet and start thinking for yourself. It's really
                  tough. Leaving The Door was one of the single most difficult things
                  I've ever done in my life. The torture of knowing inwardly that it's
                  right to leave, but also knowing that things would be so much easier if
                  I stayed. When I announced to my kids that we had decided to leave, my
                  14 year old daughter burst out in tears. I asked, "Why are you
                  crying?" She said, "Because no one will like us any more." I
                  said, "That's exactly why we're leaving. In the years that we've gone
                  to church here your mom and I cannot think of one time where people
                  have left under good conditions with the blessing of the pastor and the
                  congregation. That's wrong. That's manipulation, that's cultish and
                  I'm tired of being controlled." We had tried to leave twice before
                  that but I whimped out. The first time I tried to leave was when a
                  friend of my wife (in the church of course, who was a single mother)
                  decided she wanted to leave and she left. However, her 17 year old
                  daughter didn't want to leave. The pastor told the daughter that her
                  mom was in rebellion and it was not good for her (the daughter) to
                  continue living at home (and exposed to that rebellious spirit). When
                  the mom was at work the pastor had his "council" (religious thugs)enter
                  the woman's house and move all of the daughter's belongings to another
                  house where the spiritual climate was more conducive to the young
                  woman's conditioning. Yes, my wife and I were livid when we heard. To
                  talk to this woman and hear the story from her, in tears, was heart
                  breaking and enraging to us. I decided I was going to confront the
                  pastor, and tell him I was going to leave the church. When I did talk
                  to the pastor he told me his side of the story and before I knew it I
                  was back in the fold. I relayed his side of the story to my wife and,
                  to her disappointment, I decided to stay. As a result we had to cut
                  off communication with my wife's friend. We didn't speak with her again
                  until we, ourselves, left some years later. The second time I tried to
                  leave, I was unemployed (in the backwater, podunk town of Yucca
                  Valley. That's where the church was, and remember, church policy is
                  that you have to stay at the church you get saved at forever and ever
                  and ever). I had gotten a job offer in San Jose and had booked a
                  flight up for the interview. I was preparing for the interview when my
                  nephew and his wife showed up at the house unexpectedly. They saw all
                  of the papers and my briefcase on the kitchen table and asked what was
                  going on. I gladly told them I had a job offer! Great! Where? "San
                  Jose" I said. Wow, you could have sliced the tension with a knife.
                  Just the thought of leaving that building in that town because I had
                  said a prayer there 10 years before and was now bound to that site for
                  life...just the thought of leaving was blasphamous. I caved in again.
                  I called my prospective employer and canceled the interview. My friends
                  and family had told me for years that I was in a cult but I wouldn't
                  listen. However, by the time my brother-in-law sat me and my wife down
                  in his living room after a 12 year run, I was weary and ready to
                  listen. He dropped a pile of paper he'd printed up into my lap and
                  said, "This is all the stuff I found on-line about your church.
                  Everyone says it's a cult. That should tell you something." And it
                  did. I took a deep breath and said "I'll tell the pastor I'm leaving
                  after the next church service." For those of you reading this that are
                  trapped in the CFM cult, I don't recommend this. Don't talk to your
                  pastor and tell him you're leaving. No, you don't owe him the common
                  courtesy of saying "good-bye". Turn your back and run, run, run! Pack
                  your bags and leave town in the dead of night and don't tell anyone
                  where you are going! I am serious as a heart attack. The minute you
                  decide to leave you are "Evil" a "Backslider"
                  a "Rebel" "Unsaved" "Condemned" "Poison" and you will be targeted,
                  berated, insulted, threatened and live in fear, confusion, condemation
                  and anger. You will toil with and wrestle with bitterness, hatred,
                  unforgiveness, shame, abandonment and much more. I ended up in Yucca
                  Valley because of the Marine Corps. I was a Marine stationed at 29
                  Palms. While in, I talked a buddy of mine, a recon sniper, a really
                  really fun, neat guy and true friend from Texas, to come to church. He
                  attended the whole time he was stationed at 29 Palms. Like I said, If
                  you're "with the program" at CFM things can actually be fairly
                  pleasant; nonetheless, when he got out of the Marines everyone,
                  naturally, expected he would forsake his friends and family back in
                  Texas and stay in Yucca Valley. One day. Danny was gone. He left a
                  note on his Camero that he had gone back to Texas. He told his room
                  mate to sell the Camero and use the money to pay for his portion of the
                  rent. That's the last I ever heard or saw of him. Sunday morning
                  service was like, "Where's Danny?" "I don't know." He slipped out
                  under the radar. My friend. If you are going to leave, leave the way
                  my friend Danny did. Put a smile on your face, go to church, don't
                  give any indication that you've got a U-haul booked. Pile up your
                  stuff and leave leave leave! You think I'm joking! I'm serious! When
                  I finally took my stand and told the pastor I was leaving he started
                  laying into me with his vulcan mind meld control speech. I could
                  literally feel myself getting weak and wanted to cave in again, but I'd
                  made up my mind and simply said, "We're leaving". I thought that was
                  the end of it. No that was just the beginning. First thing, my nephew
                  shows up at my house and starts "prophisying" over my family..."Thus
                  says the Lord, your daughter will become a prostitue and walk the
                  streets taking money for sex, your children will come to desolation and
                  destruction, repent or suffer the wrath of God..." No joke. I had to
                  shut him up and kick him out like a common bum. My kids are listening
                  to this, shocked. My daughter is crying. We received letters telling
                  us we were damned to hell and that God was going to kill us out there
                  in the world on our own and we'd have no hope or remedy for our sin.
                  To this day, our relatives who are still in the church refuse to talk
                  to us or communicate with us in any way shape or form. We are dead to
                  them. Let me say this, The pastor I told you about who ordered the
                  removal of the teenager's possessions from her mom's house...last I
                  heard, he has left the fellowship. One of the families who wrote us
                  those terrible letters, the husband has left the fellowship and the
                  wife "reluctantly" followed (so I'm told). As terrible as the actions
                  of these people sound, I have to remind myself that I was, at one time,
                  just like they were. Don't be angry. Don't be bitter. Get as far
                  away as you physically can from them and then forgive them, pray for
                  them and Lord willing, they will come to their senses just as you did.
                  How did it come to this? That's another topic I'd like to discuss at
                  another time. Until then
                  Shaloam (did I spell that right?)
                  -Kevin-

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 17, 2008

                    Kevin said:

                    [I finally took my stand and told the pastor I was leaving he started
                    laying into me with his vulcan mind meld control speech.]

                    That line really cracked me up.

                    I cross posted your message to Escape From the Fellowship.

                    You may get some responses over there.  Nichole, who posts under the name mammamanykids is also from Yucca Valley, and left the fellowship just a few months ago.  You might want to have some interchange with her and her husband.  She also runs her own message board, Freedom From the Potter's House.

                    We also have another ex Marine posting on Escape, Denis, who goes by iwas1ncthr.  We have some Australian ex members posting there as well.

                    So stop by Escape From the Fellowship, if you get a chance.  I am sure you will get some responses to that testimony of yours.  I appreciate you taking the time to write that.  Thanks.

                    Shalom

                    Ken

                  • melissal29
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 17, 2008
                      I love what you wrote, its true if you are going to leave you should
                      just leave. I left the fellowship about six months ago. I was a
                      member for three years. To be honest I am not sure why exactly I
                      left. I loved the church, but the more more people were leaving and
                      it wasnt even just new converts it was member of the church that had
                      been their for ten twelve years, I start praying and asking
                      questions. And, it is so true once you start asking questions you
                      kind of get in trouble, they tell you that these members are
                      backsliding or have lost their way just pray for them and stay away
                      from them. I knew these people and they were my family. I was so
                      confused, if these people were in sin and at risk to going to hell,
                      why not embrase them talk to them befriend them even more, to try and
                      win them back. This was an issue I always had with the church. I
                      didnt understand how I could call my self a christian and these
                      peoples family when i would abandon them when they need church family
                      the most! My decision to leave was based on month of prayer I truly
                      felt God telling me to leave and not look back. I did try and talk
                      to pastor and let him know that i was no longer attending the church,
                      they just made me feel like i did not hear from God that I was making
                      it up. I knew the last sunday I was their that I was doing the right
                      thing. I over heard pastors wife telling a young lady whos husband
                      was in the military and not saved that if he left the area she needed
                      to stay here and not go with him. I couldnt believe it, god is all
                      about family and keeping them together what would be so wrong with
                      her going with her husband and attending another fellowship church. I
                      made my decision and never looked back. I have still recieve calls
                      from members, and they want to know why i left and some even ask me
                      how you could do it. The only reponse i have is it was what was write
                      for me and my family. I dont bash the church with them or even
                      listen to them bash the church. I will not be a part of their ideas
                      of me. I was told that the first sunday I left pastor stood up and
                      told everyone to beware of the Jezbel spirit. I couldnt believe it,
                      i had been a part of the church for three years and I had put my
                      entire life on hold and put them first. I was so angry I wanted to
                      march my self up their and tell them exactly what a cult they were
                      but knew it would be useless. I found this group and truly love it,
                      to be able to talk to others who had left. I look at your stories
                      and draw strength, I admire anyone who has left the church after ten
                      years or twenty years. I was only a member for three years and still
                      am stuggling with my decision. I miss all my friends, and people who
                      were my family for the past three years. I do pray for them and the
                      church to open their eyes to the truth, and to change there ways. I
                      am so sad to hear about members who left and now no longer have faith
                      in Christ. It kills me to see the damage that one person can do.
                      I left the chruch not my faith in Christ in fact I dont even
                      think I was truly saved in the potters house. I was just obedient to
                      a mans words not gods. Talk to yall later!