Adultery and the Rapture

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2007

      On one of the other message boards that I occasionally post on, the question came up of whether or not a Christian could be raptured while in the act of adultery.  The man asking this question is a dedicated, single for 13 years, Waymanite disciple.  His obvious motive is to mock the doctrine of eternal security.  I, however, have noted that some of the Christians I have met, who believe that a true, born again Christian cannot lose their salvation, display some of the more advanced traits of Christianity, particularly those attributes called the fruit of the Spirit.  So, since no one else seemed to want to field the question, I went ahead and did it, based on what I have learned from eternal security Christians, and my own study of that group of Christians.  Here is my answer.

      Back in my fellowship days I asked a few eternal security believers what would happen if Jesus came while someone was fornicating.  I even mocked, as I did a bit here a some posts back, and asked if they were both Christians would they still be "in the act" when they were caught up into the clouds.

      Blowing off my mockery, some gave me a serious answer.  Their point of view was that everyone sins every day.  How far do you want to take it?  If someone is cursing when Jesus comes back will they be left behind?  If someone has lust in their heart for their neighbor's wife when Jesus comes, will they be left behind?  If someone is watching pornography when Jesus comes, will they be left behind?  If someone is embracing doubt when Jesus comes, will they be left behind?

      Their point of view was that salvation was not something you could lose.  The idea of getting saved, getting unsaved, getting saved again, getting unsaved again, and so on was ridiculous.  To use David as an example, he committed adultery and murder, yet made it into heaven.  He was punished for his sin in this life, and based on some theories of Christianity, he suffered loss of eternal reward.  But he still made it.  The LORD had Nathan confront him.  If that hadn't worked, the LORD would have chastised David up to, and including, ending his mortal life.  But he was still saved.  That is why the LORD sent Nathan to him, because he was the LORD's own possession.

      Salvation in Waymanland is a crap shoot.  If Jesus happens to come back when you are committing obvious sin, then you will be left behind.  But if you made it to the altar before He came, you're in.  By fellowship teaching people are constantly on and off "rapture worthy."  To put it another way, you are saved and unsaved dozens of times.  So just hope that you are worthy when Jesus comes or you don't go.  It is the "Wheel of Fortune Salvation."

      A misconception is that adultery and fornication are the worst of sins.  They are not.  Pride offends God a lot more.  That is, if you believe the Bible.  But legalistic religions, which are actually based on pride, focus only on outward sins.  Thus the Pharisees railed on Jesus for hanging around prostitutes and crooked tax collectors and drinking wine with them.  Jesus was rather offended with these proud, religious idiots.

      The way eternal security believers see it, the explaination is found in 1 Corinthians 3: 12-15

      Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

      The unprofitable, and evil works of the Christian believer will be burned away, but the Christian himself, or herself, shall be saved.  There will be a loss for committing sin, but salvation itself is permanently purchased by the blood of Jesus alone.

      A lot of eternal security people have an attitude of humility that comes from the understanding that no one can come anywhere near keeping the commandments of Jesus.  This is reflected in what Jesus says in Matthew 19: 24-26

      "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, "Then who can be saved?"  And looking at them Jesus said to them, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

      In other words, the theme of the Bible breaks through: you can't possibly save yourself by obedience to any of Jesus' commandments.  It is God who gets you into heaven, not you.  Strangely enough, the people who embrace this are often the people who most manifest what the Bible calls the fruit of the Spirit.  The proud religious idiot who claims a "higher standard" than those "luke warm Christians" manifests the works of the flesh, and is filled with sickening pride.

      So...yes.  A believer could be raptured while commiting adultery.  I would suppose it would be the most embarassing of events.  However, some proud religious people might be even more embarassed to see their works burned up, which they thought were so pleasing to God.  That is, if they even make the rapture.  Do you remember what Jesus said?

      Matthew 21: 28-32

      "But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, 'Son, go work today in the vineyard.' "And he answered, 'I will not'; but afterward he regretted it and went. "The man came to the second and said the same thing; and he answered, 'I will, sir'; but he did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?" They said, "The first." Jesus said to them, "Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you. For John came to you in the way of righteousness and you did not believe him; but the tax collectors and prostitutes did believe him; and you, seeing this, did not even feel remorse afterward so as to believe him."

      Ummmm, prostitutes are generally adulterous, as many of their clients are married men.  Crooked tax collectors and prostitutes did what?  They believed John the Baptist and his message about the Redeemer.  The self righteous religious people trusted in their works, and would not hear that they needed a redeemer.

      In religions like the Waymanite Religion, grace, forgiveness, and redemption are only for the first few minutes.  After that it is staying saved by works.  Paul nailed it in Galatians, but the Waymanite Religion perverts this to only refer to other kinds of legalism, not theirs.

      Personally, if I were to believe the Bible, I would have to think it much more likely that a person who believed in Jesus as his Savior, who fell into a time of the sin of adultery, would be a much more likely candidate for the rapture, than a proud, obnoxious, vicious Waymanite disciple.  Jesus said the Pharisees were blind guides of the blind.  He preferred the company of prostitutes.  So, who do you think He is more likely to catch up into heaven with Him?