Re: [skyshed-pod-uk] Finally!.. 1st light

  • Wayne Parker
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
      Thanks Paul!

      Yes the scope should be mounted off center.

      Have fun!
      Wayne
      Owner/Designer
      SkyShed Observatories
      www.skyshedpod.com
      www.skyshed.com

      Paul wrote:

      Hi all!

      Finally, I a can report 1st light has been observed from my POD! I managed to squeeze in a few minutes last night before the clouds rolled in.

      I've still a load of work to do before it'll be up to speed for photography, but its good to be able to be up and running within a few minutes of stepping outside.

      That said, I've a couple of observations about my experience in getting this far.

      1) I've been having problems with water getting in round the base. The dome and wall joints seem water tight so far, despite some pretty enthusiastic testing by the resent weather we've had here in the UK!

      I'm not getting much water in under the base, just enough so there is a damp ring round the base of the wall. The problem arises when I try to seal this up, as most of the sealant products out there don't like adhering to damp surfaces (and I don't have enough Lexel to run a bead round the whole circumference, in side and out). My current solution, which seems to be working, is to run a strip of FlashBand round the bottom 2" of the wall and overlapping onto the plywood baseboard. I warmed the pitch on the FlashBand, with a heat gun, to help it adhere and it seems to be doing the trick.

      That said, looking back, I think a better solution would have been to
      run a couple of lengths of the 1" self-adhesive black foam strips round the complete circumference of the POD wall after bolting them all together - one strip on at the inner edge and one at the outer edge. This stuff seems to work well sealing the dome halves where the meet at the bottom, so it should work well on the underside of the walls.

      2) Last night I though I'd slew over and have a look at M31, which was not too far from the Zenith. Unfortunately, try as I might, there was no way I could see M31 past the lip of the open dome.

      I build the observatory such that the mount pier is dead centre in the dome. I'm wandering if I should have offset it a few (6?) inches south(?) to prevent this problem? Has anyone come across this before?

      If this is a viable solution I'll make up a bracket to move the mount and see how I get on.

      cheers

      Paul

      --
      signature

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
        Thanks Wayne,

        I'm working on a cunning plan to relocate it about a foot south. That should solve the problem.

        In the meantime, I seem tohave solved the problem or wateringress under the lower edge of the wall....a layer of bitumen flashing inside and out and an additional coat of spary-on roof repairing gunk round the outside.

        cheers

        Paul

        --- In skyshed-pod-uk@yahoogroups.com, Wayne Parker <wparker@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Paul!
        >
        > Yes the scope should be mounted off center.
        >
        > Have fun!
        > Wayne
        > Owner/Designer
        > */SkyShed/ Observatories*
        > www.skyshedpod.com
        > www.skyshed.com
        >
        > Paul wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi all!
        > >
        > > Finally, I a can report 1st light has been observed from my POD! I
        > > managed to squeeze in a few minutes last night before the clouds
        > > rolled in.
        > >
        > > I've still a load of work to do before it'll be up to speed for
        > > photography, but its good to be able to be up and running within a few
        > > minutes of stepping outside.
        > >
        > > That said, I've a couple of observations about my experience in
        > > getting this far.
        > >
        > > 1) I've been having problems with water getting in round the base. The
        > > dome and wall joints seem water tight so far, despite some pretty
        > > enthusiastic testing by the resent weather we've had here in the UK!
        > >
        > > I'm not getting much water in under the base, just enough so there is
        > > a damp ring round the base of the wall. The problem arises when I try
        > > to seal this up, as most of the sealant products out there don't like
        > > adhering to damp surfaces (and I don't have enough Lexel to run a bead
        > > round the whole circumference, in side and out). My current solution,
        > > which seems to be working, is to run a strip of FlashBand round the
        > > bottom 2" of the wall and overlapping onto the plywood baseboard. I
        > > warmed the pitch on the FlashBand, with a heat gun, to help it adhere
        > > and it seems to be doing the trick.
        > >
        > > That said, looking back, I think a better solution would have been to
        > > run a couple of lengths of the 1" self-adhesive black foam strips
        > > round the complete circumference of the POD wall after bolting them
        > > all together - one strip on at the inner edge and one at the outer
        > > edge. This stuff seems to work well sealing the dome halves where the
        > > meet at the bottom, so it should work well on the underside of the walls.
        > >
        > > 2) Last night I though I'd slew over and have a look at M31, which was
        > > not too far from the Zenith. Unfortunately, try as I might, there was
        > > no way I could see M31 past the lip of the open dome.
        > >
        > > I build the observatory such that the mount pier is dead centre in the
        > > dome. I'm wandering if I should have offset it a few (6?) inches
        > > south(?) to prevent this problem? Has anyone come across this before?
        > >
        > > If this is a viable solution I'll make up a bracket to move the mount
        > > and see how I get on.
        > >
        > > cheers
        > >
        > > Paul
        > >

        > --
        > *
        > *

      • Wayne Parker
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
          Ahh, a cunning plan. Sounds good. Glad you got the base sealed up as well.

          Good stuff!

          Wayne
          Owner/Designer
          SkyShed Observatories