Re: New member from Citrus County Florida

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2013
      Sounds like a nice setup!

      I have an observatory for astrophotography with a pier and GEM mount. It's great having all the stray light in my neighborhood blocked. My XT10i gets lots of mileage yet though with outreach and our club's activities.

      John Wunderlin
      Mineral Point, Wi
      XT10i

      --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Jihad me at Hello!" <anthonylh79@...> wrote:

      > Ha! Can't believe I forgot to mention that! I got an Orion Skyquest XT10. I've actually ditched the light blocking panel and gone with a cheaper, yet better solution. A full blown 10' x 10' portable observatory for less than $100.
      >
      > The frame of the room will be 1" PVC schedule 40, but I had to order the corners (3 way elbows) from a patio furniture supply store. Apparently these fittings have no use in plumbing so they are not available at the home improvement stores. There are also vertical pvc supports between the corners using Tee fittings. The tarps simply overlap the top and bottom of the frame and are bungee corded through the grommets. Tent stakes to keep it from becoming a sail.
      >
      > The 8' x 10' sun blocker 12 mil tarps I got for a song at Tarp Factory outlet online. About $10 apiece.
      >
      > --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnw@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Welcome! No lack of money pit ideas here. Which telescope did you end up purchasing?
      > >
      > > --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Jihad me at Hello!" <anthonylh79@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey all! After years of 'armchair astronomy' I received my first scope on Feb 3rd for my birthday. I did get to use it a bit with the 25mm Plossl but of course when my array of Explore Scientific EPs I ordered arrived it clouded right up!
      > > >
      > > > Not one to waste time I did some research and spent a little money. So far I've added a second dovetail mount and an 8x50 RACI, a knob on the underside of the skyward end of my OTA for something to hold onto while tracking and a 12" lazy susan ball bearing ring for the Dob base as I was already getting 'stiction'.
      > > >
      > > > Now with more cloudy nights in the forecast I'm looking at maybe a complete dis-assembly to flock the tube as well as some PVC framed light barriers for the front yard. I also have a wooden EP case on the way that as an unfinished art supplies chest is just begging for some customization.
      > > >
      > > > Anyhoozle, that's me and where I'm at so I figured I'd join this group and see what other money-pit ideas I could scrounge up!

    • Jihad me at Hello!
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26, 2013
        That's where I want to be. A nice roomy observatory set up for AP. I'm finishing up a year at college and we're planning to move to a bigger house with astronomy in mind. It's coming, but I do envy you!