Re: Hello & thank you from a new member

  • scout873
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
      > Welcome to the group! The XT-8 is a fabulous first "serious" scope, it will serve you well for many years out in the dark. As with any scope the more you use it the more you will get out of it.

      Get out and join a local observing group if you can, sharing the experiences greatly increases the increase of knowledge and enjoyment.
      > As always feel free to throw any questions you come across to the group!
      > Clear Skies,
      >
      > PL
      > --------------
      > Phil Lefever
      > Burnsville, MN

      Thanks Phil! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once summer rolls around and I can get my 'scopes out and start playing with them regularly. I've only ever had a small 2" Unitron (it was my dad's from his high school days so it's more of an antique then anything) so to go from that to the XT8 was pretty awesome. First night out of the box I got some great views. I recently just bought an Orion accessory kit that came with a Barlow, two eyepieces and some filters. It's been pretty cold and cloudy here in Illinois so I've only gotten one good night out of the XT8 so far but I'm hoping for a great summer.

      I just got in touch with a local astronomy group and I'm a regular at two observatories in my area. I'm blessed to live in a rural area away from light pollution so we've gotten some pretty good sights in just here on the farm. Plus my library of books keeps me going when it gets REALLY cold here and I can't be outside with telescopes (mostly binocs in the winter).
      Is there a place for recommended books on this group or another site? I'll have to take a look in the file section again.

      > Allison
      >> Welcome I have a XT-8 and its a great scope,of all
      >> my scopes this is the one I use the most ,easy to set up and use.
      > Clear Skies Anthony

      Thanks Anthony! I was impressed with just how easy to use the XT8 was! Even the little finder-scope that came with it wasn't too bad. I knocked it off a couple times but that will probably be the first thing I upgrade. I've been looking through all the files here on building a storage case and moving case for the XT8. I kept the styrofoam from the delivery packaging so we'll see how creative I can get!

      Thanks for the responses and here's to a great summer of star-gazing!
      Allison
      Belvidere, IL
    • Anthony Maida
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
        Allison      Did it come with a red dot finder?, if so I think a 9x50mm right angle finder scope will work better for you.

                          orion sells them check out there website. Anthony

        > Welcome to the group! The XT-8 is a fabulous first "serious" scope, it will serve you well for many years out in the dark. As with any scope the more you use it the more you will get out of it.

        Get out and join a local observing group if you can, sharing the experiences greatly increases the increase of knowledge and enjoyment.
        > As always feel free to throw any questions you come across to the group!
        > Clear Skies,
        >
        > PL
        > --------------
        > Phil Lefever
        > Burnsville, MN

        Thanks Phil! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once summer rolls around and I can get my 'scopes out and start playing with them regularly. I've only ever had a small 2" Unitron (it was my dad's from his high school days so it's more of an antique then anything) so to go from that to the XT8 was pretty awesome. First night out of the box I got some great views. I recently just bought an Orion accessory kit that came with a Barlow, two eyepieces and some filters. It's been pretty cold and cloudy here in Illinois so I've only gotten one good night out of the XT8 so far but I'm hoping for a great summer.

        I just got in touch with a local astronomy group and I'm a regular at two observatories in my area. I'm blessed to live in a rural area away from light pollution so we've gotten some pretty good sights in just here on the farm. Plus my library of books keeps me going when it gets REALLY cold here and I can't be outside with telescopes (mostly binocs in the winter).
        Is there a place for recommended books on this group or another site? I'll have to take a look in the file section again.

        > Allison
        >> Welcome I have a XT-8 and its a great scope,of all
        >> my scopes this is the one I use the most ,easy to set up and use.
        > Clear Skies Anthony

        Thanks Anthony! I was impressed with just how easy to use the XT8 was! Even the little finder-scope that came with it wasn't too bad. I knocked it off a couple times but that will probably be the first thing I upgrade. I've been looking through all the files here on building a storage case and moving case for the XT8. I kept the styrofoam from the delivery packaging so we'll see how creative I can get!

        Thanks for the responses and here's to a great summer of star-gazing!
        Allison
        Belvidere, IL

      • John
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2013
          Hello Allison,

          I actually prefer a straight-through finder to a Right angle personally, but to each his/her own.

          I also wanted to add my club is a bit over 2 hours from your location and our skies are in the 'green' zone at our observing sites. If you feel adventurous sometime, you'd be welcome to come join us- our schedule is online at www.icastro.org.

          John Wunderlin
          Mineral Point, WI
          XT10i

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
            > I actually prefer a straight-through finder to a Right angle personally, but to each his/her own.
            >
            > I also wanted to add my club is a bit over 2 hours from your location and our skies are in the 'green' zone at our observing sites. If you feel adventurous sometime, you'd be welcome to come join us- our schedule is online at www.icastro.org.
            >
            > John Wunderlin
            > Mineral Point, WI

            Hi John, Thanks for the info on your club. I've got your website and will keep you in mind if I'm ever out your way. I'm always up for a good road trip.

            Oh and thanks Anthony and John for the input on finder scopes. I'm going to do some research and see what is out there. I'll probably end up using the Orion red dot finder that came with the scope until it gives out; I found it really easy to use. Now all I gotta do is wait for warm weather! Thanks again