Re: Cleaning primary mirror on an XT10?

  • Jeff McWilliams
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
      Jim

      Congratulations on winning the Ethos!

      I was at the top of the hill, in the field with the tall grass &
      clover. I had the silver Honda CR-V with the mountain bike on top.

      My Intelliscope COL worked wonderfully on Friday. I had a warp factor
      of 0.1 after aligning to a 3rd star.

      On Saturday, things didn't go so well. For some reason, I couldn't
      get a warp factor below 1.6. I'm not really sure what happened. I
      had moved the scope about 10 feet east of where it was on Friday to
      get farther away from the trees, but otherwise the setup was the same.
      The guy selling the carved wooden boxes had given me some NGC objects
      to explore, and I was never able to do that, because my COL was out of
      commission and I didn't have star charts that would allow me to hand
      guide.

      I've had nothing but trouble getting good alignments on my
      Intelliscope, and I'm to the point where I feel I can't rely on it. I
      plan on getting good enough star charts to guide by hand, but I'm
      frustrated with this thing. :-(

      Anyway, yes, I'm currently a member of the Warren Astronomical
      Society. I talked to Bob Macfarland. Were you set up close to him?

      Bob highly recommended the Oakland and Seven Ponds groups, as I live
      in Troy. I might check out one or both of them. The chili cook off
      out at the nature center in February sounds like fun!

      Jeff
    • johnwunderlin
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
        > On Saturday, things didn't go so well. For some reason, I couldn't
        > get a warp factor below 1.6. I'm not really sure what happened. I
        > had moved the scope about 10 feet east of where it was on Friday to
        > get farther away from the trees, but otherwise the setup was the same.
        > The guy selling the carved wooden boxes had given me some NGC objects
        > to explore, and I was never able to do that, because my COL was out of
        > commission and I didn't have star charts that would allow me to hand
        > guide.
        >
        > I've had nothing but trouble getting good alignments on my
        > Intelliscope, and I'm to the point where I feel I can't rely on it.

        Have you checked to see if the az encoder is slipping? Sounds just
        like issues I had when I first got my scope. I ended up gluing the
        encoder to the base and have had almost no issues since.

        Another thing to check is to make sure the black knob opposite the COL
        plug is completely tight. If it's loose at all, that can also cause
        bad warps. The knob on the same side is the CorrecTension knob and
        doesn't need to be tight, but the other one MUST be completely tightened.

        Hope that helps.

        John Wunderlin
        Mineral Point, WI
        XT10i
      • Jim Moscheck
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2008
          Hi Jeff,
          I was set up near Bob M. and the rest of the Ford guys.  Right after the rocket launch on Sat. I went to visit my son at Alma College.  Got back just in time for the door prizes.8^)

          Both of the clubs Bob mentioned would be good.  I know a few of the Oakland members and they have a nice observing spot near Romeo.

          Check both axis' like Phil said, if it's new the az. bolt needs to be tightened as per the manual.  Once you get it right it should stay there, I had my XT10i for over two years and after getting the az. bolt with the right tightness I consistently had good warps(as long as I used the right alignment stars).

          Good luck to you,
          Jim