XT8......or XT10

  • sweden@interfold.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2001
      I'm leaning toward the 8 because the F6 would seem less fragile for
      collimation and less finicky with my $20 Rini eyepieces. Also a 35#
      tube instead of 20# might be left in the basement more often after
      the first blushes of ownership. Can anyone point out my blindspots
      here?

      Clear skies,

      Jarl
    • Luis Vazquez
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2001

        Jarl,

        If the additional weight of the XT10 is an issue in transportation then I would go with the XT8.  The main difference between them is the fact that the XT10 gathers 50% more light than the XT8.   YET... please remember that the best telescope to buy is one that will be used... therefore if the extra weight of the XT10 will make you think twice before using it, then I recommend you buy the XT8.  Either scope will give you nice views for years to come...

        Clear skys and let us know which one you decide on....

        Luis

          sweden@... wrote:

        I'm leaning toward the 8 because the F6 would seem less fragile for
        collimation and less finicky with my $20 Rini eyepieces. Also a 35#
        tube instead of 20# might be left in the basement more often after
        the first blushes of ownership.  Can anyone point out my blindspots
        here?

        Clear skies,

        Jarl

        http://www.egroups.com/group/skyquest-telescopes

        Do You Yahoo!?

      • dsc4@email.byu.edu
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2001
          I tried a couple of 2 inch Rini's in my XT-10. To begin with the
          barrels were not long enough - short by almost 1.5 to 2 inches. I
          had to lift the eyepieces out and when I reached the right distance
          there was lots of coma around the edges. For a second there I
          thought I had discovered a cluster of comets (he he). Just thought
          you would like to know. -Dave

          --- In skyquest-telescopes@y..., sweden@i... wrote:
          > I'm leaning toward the 8 because the F6 would seem less fragile for
          > collimation and less finicky with my $20 Rini eyepieces. Also a 35#
          > tube instead of 20# might be left in the basement more often after
          > the first blushes of ownership. Can anyone point out my blindspots
          > here?
          >
          > Clear skies,
          >
          > Jarl
        • Richard Hendricks
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2001
            If I could do it over again, I probably would choose the 6 over the 8 too.
            A six would see lots more sky time than the 8 I have right now.

            --
            "Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem" --FermiLab

            >From: sweden@...
            >To: skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [skyquest-telescopes] XT8......or XT10
            >Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 14:50:14 -0000
            >
            >I'm leaning toward the 8 because the F6 would seem less fragile for
            >collimation and less finicky with my $20 Rini eyepieces. Also a 35#
            >tube instead of 20# might be left in the basement more often after
            >the first blushes of ownership. Can anyone point out my blindspots
            >here?
            >
            >Clear skies,
            >
            >Jarl
            >

            > http://www.egroups.com/group/skyquest-telescopes

          • Phil Lefever
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001
              You can't go wrong with either the XT8 or the XT10, they are both
              excellent scopes.

              Of course as others have pointed out if the size and weight of the 10"
              are a factor that will prevent you using it consider the 8". The best
              scope is the one you will use most!

              As far as f/6 vs f/5 and the eyepieces goes it likely won't make much
              difference. If we were talking about a scope that was f/8 or slower then
              maybe, but f/6 is still fairly fast. I would doubt that the Rini's would look
              too good at the edges in either scope. I just took delivery of a Siebert
              12.5 WA (although it measures as a 10mm, I think it is mislabeled) and
              it is quite soft at the edges in an f/5 light cone. It also has some pretty
              strong ghosting when observing the planets. Hopefully the replacement
              will do a bit better (and will be the focal length I wanted).

              Best of luck with the decision!

              Clear Skies,

              Phil

              At 14:50 12/01/2001 +0000, you wrote:
              >I'm leaning toward the 8 because the F6 would seem less fragile for
              >collimation and less finicky with my $20 Rini eyepieces. Also a 35#
              >tube instead of 20# might be left in the basement more often after
              >the first blushes of ownership. Can anyone point out my blindspots
              >here?

              Phil Lefever XT10 10" Dob
              Burnsville, MN Celestron SP-C8
              Ham Call: KB0NES Short Tube 80mm