Re: [skyquest-telescopes] 2" barlows for 12xti

  • Rickey Ditmore
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
      ok,that makes sence, and will consider. I may need the wider fov for friends of mine that can't see in the regular eye pieces that well,of course i do have a couple of wide view peices and 1 1/4 shorty plus 2x and a trimag 3x barlow. Just didn't know if i would get more of up close detail of clusters and the moon and other. thanks Phil, any more input , i'd appreciate it.

      Phil Lefever <kb0nes@...> wrote: At 10:21 PM 1/31/2007, you wrote:
      >can someone give me and idea about which barlow i should use, i'm
      >looking at orion Deluxe 2" 2x fully baffled and multicoated OR 2" 2x 3
      >element barlow Apochromatic optical design. i have a 2" eye piece,but
      >i want to get closer. Are these two a good choice or does anyone
      >have another suggestion i want to stick with a 2" barlow. thanks for
      >any comment.

      Rickey,

      Is there any chance that you already own a 1-1/4" eyepiece
      that is close to 1/2 the focal length of your 2" model?
      The reason I ask is that I really feel that 2" Barlows are
      somewhat of a waste of money. Also in a dob having several
      large heavy objects in the focuser compounds balance issues.
      I have usually considered 2" format Barlows to mostly be
      useful for prime focus imaging.

      I would suggest buying a _good_ eyepiece that puts you at
      ~125x (try to end up with an exit pupil between 1.5 to 3mm).
      Overall you will find that for the majority of the objects
      you observe on most nights this is the only eyepiece you
      need. Then choose a 2x 1-1/4" Barlow to get you up to high
      magnification on the Planets on the nights with good stable
      seeing. This route will likely be similar in total cost and
      is not as likely to cause imbalance issues.

      Remember that the only reason that 2" eyepieces exist is for
      wide FoV low magnification views. Once you jam a Barlow in
      front of one the need for the 2" barrel is relieved so then
      you just end up with extra weight and expense.

      Clear Skies,

      PL

      Phil Lefever - Burnsville, MN
      Amateur Radio Callsign - KB0NES EN34jt