Re: Tales of Newbie, etc.

  • J R Hilland
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hello David and congratulations on your new telescope. I remember what I was
      first told when I started, learn the night sky. There is no substitute for
      learning the sky and it takes time. You couldn't pick a better place to set
      up your scope than near the boundary waters wilderness canoe area. Although
      the only problem this far north is that when it is warm the night only last
      for a few hours and when the night is much longer than the day it is
      miserably cold. I would suggest that before you go buy a telrad or reflex to
      replace your finder scope, attend one of the Minneapolis astronomy club
      meetings (re: St. Paul - Minnesota Astronomical Society
      http://www.mnastro.org/, or Minneapolis - Minnesota Sidewalk Astronomers
      http://www.visi.com/~dbrown/sidewalk.htm).

      Personally I have a reflex and several finder scopes of different sizes, but
      the Orion dobs have the problem that my digital camera and camcorder have.
      They are designed for right handed and right eyed people. With my EQ130 I
      put the view finder on the other side of the focuser and rotated the tube
      within the mount so that I could view from the other side of the telescope
      and use my left eye on the view finder. The Orion dobs, by design do not
      allow you to do this. For my Orion dobs, any type of view finder is, for the
      most part, useless and I rely on a wide angle, very low power 2" eyepiece to
      get me around the sky.

      On another note, concerning warmers for the COL screen, I ran across this...
      http://www.telescopes.com/products/kendrick-control-pad-heater-for-meade-aut
      ostar-and-celestron-nexstar-hand-controller-43061.html
      I see no reason why this would not work on the Orion COL but I have emailed
      them. Anyone up north every tried this product on the Orion COL?

      Jere XT12i
      Fargo, ND