XT6 Mods

  • Randy Hargis
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hi all,

      I was wondering if any of the XT6 owners have done any modifications to
      their scope. I have done a few myself and I was looking for some ideas.

      Randy
    • Gene Baraff
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hargis"
        <randyhargis@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I was wondering if any of the XT6 owners have done any
        > modifications to their scope. I have done a few
        > myself and I was looking for some ideas.
        > ************
        A different approach to the "mod"ding issue: what are the things
        you are dissatisfied with re image, aiming, scope control and any
        other human comfort issues? Then tell us what you have done to
        try to improve on these and what successes and frustrations you have
        had.

        That way, you'll both be teaching us something more about the scope,
        as well as stimulating members who have dealt with those very same
        problems to report back to you what worked for them.

        Gene
      • Randy Hargis
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
          The reason I ask is twofold.

          1) I don't want to necessialy want to reinvent the wheel. If there
          is an "xyz" issue, for example, and I haven't encountered it yet and
          there exists a mod that works around it then I want to see that.

          2) I can see how people do some of their mod's which have
          some "controversy" to them as in to flock or not to flock a XT6.

          Randy

          --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Baraff"
          <g2baraff@...> wrote:

          > --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hargis"
          > <randyhargis@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I was wondering if any of the XT6 owners have done any
          > > modifications to their scope. I have done a few
          > > myself and I was looking for some ideas.
          > > ************
          > A different approach to the "mod"ding issue: what are the things
          > you are dissatisfied with re image, aiming, scope control and any
          > other human comfort issues? Then tell us what you have done to
          > try to improve on these and what successes and frustrations you
          have
          > had.
          >
          > That way, you'll both be teaching us something more about the
          scope,
          > as well as stimulating members who have dealt with those very same
          > problems to report back to you what worked for them.
          >
          > Gene

        • Gene Baraff
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
            <randyhargis@...> wrote:

            > The reason I ask is twofold.
            >
            > 1) I don't want to necessialy want to reinvent the wheel.
            > If there is an "xyz" issue, for example, and I haven't
            > encountered it yet and there exists a mod that works around
            > it then I want to see that.
            >
            > 2) I can see how people do some of their mod's which have
            > some "controversy" to them as in to flock or not to flock a XT6.
            > ************
            Both valid reasons. But while you are waiting for some of
            the "live" members to reply, have you looked through everything in
            our files section? There is a lot of what you are thinkng about
            hidden away in there.

            Gene
          • Jack Kramer
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
              I guess a better title for this thread would be simply "XT Mods", because what applies to the XT6 probably applies in some degree to all the scopes in the XT series. I have not yet flocked the inside of my XT12i, but have done six modifications:

              1. Added a handle on the tube for carrying it.
              2. Replaced the little knob at the front with a weight to acheive better balance.
              3. Replaced the stock finder with the better Antares 8x50 straight-through.
              4. Added milk jug washers around the center screw of the rocker box to make the azimuth motion smoother and reduce stiction. Since I don't have a COL, I removed the components for indexing in azimuth.
              5. Replaced the knobs on the focuser with the fancier ones that Orion sells. They seem to offer a better grip (plus they look nice!).
              6. Replaced the existing glue/grease in the focuser with silicon-based dielectric tune-up grease and adjusted the tension. The focuser has some slop but I don't have a problem with the smoothness of the motion. It's easy to focus even at high magnification.

              Jack Kramer
              Lily Lake, Illinois
              http://home.att.net/~jak.stargate/wsb/index.html