Re: tel-rad or Easy Finder

  • Mallettem@home.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2000
      We have heavy light pollution here. However, the finder scope is
      difficult to use. If it had a right angle it would be much easier.
      Last night Casseopia and Cygnus were the only constellations that I
      could could see. You mentioned seeing the andromeda galaxy 5 miles
      from downtown Mpls. How did you find it?

      Do you think the Reigel would work for me in this light polluted area?

      Malcolm

      --- In skyquest-telescopes@egroups.com, stjerome@u... wrote:
      > An EZ finder reflects a point of light on a small window you look
      > through. it sits too close to the tube, in my opinion. A Rigel
      > Quickfinder or telrad project a bullseye pattern that is calibrated
      > to cover a certain amount of sky (inner circle is 1/2 degree, for
      > example) This makes star hopping much easier. I am seeing a lot of
      > posts talking about replacing the finderscope with a telrad or QF;
      > don't get rid of the finderscope. You can (and should) have both- I
      put
      > my QF right between the focuser and the 6x30. I prefer the Rigel QF
      > because of the height above the tube. I mounted the base with RTV
      > silicone. I think the 6x30 is a pretty decent finder; see what
      Meade &
    • stjerome@uswest.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2000
        I could spot it (andromeda galaxy) in the 6x30 no problem. I live about
        2 miles from downtown, but I had a nice clear night. Try finding it
        first with binocs, noting brighter stars in the area to orient
        yourself. Get a Rigel QF before you buy any other accessories!