Re: note to all beginners

  • phoenixangus
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
      Ouch!!!! I'm very very sorry to hear this! What a bummer that is!!!

      If your in North-Central MA, Southern NH area, I'd also be willing to
      help out if you get new mirrors. Reinstalling the mirrors is a snap.
      The hardest part is going to be re-collimating!

      You already know how to install/remove the secondary. The primary has
      a trap too. When you remove it the balance on the scope shifts
      possibly making the tube fall down on the focuser side if you have it
      base and your not prepared.

      I would call Orion Customer Support and tell them your story and see
      if they would be willing to help you out - at least a little. It
      can't hurt to ask!

      They have some stuff here.

      http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=31

      Antler's Optics, and Discovery sell mirrors too. I think some of them
      are drop in replacements. If you don't want a hassel stick with the
      Orion or make sure they are drop in replacements before you buy one
      of these.

      Hang in there!

      --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "eblake00" <ejblake@...>
      wrote:

      > from one beginner to any others out there...
      >
      > I got my site tube today and in the process of centering the
      secondary
      > under the focuser I loosened it too far...WAY too far and....off it
      > fell, down, down, down...onto the primary shattering both mirrors
      and
      > here I sit a miserable man with a telescope in need of repairs.
      > Everyone, if you're a beginner, don't be foolish like me. Use
      caution,
      > and...maybe even ask someone more experienced than you to do your
      > collimation for you.
      >
      > clear skies,
      >
      > Emory
      >
      > PS - Does orion to repairs? I don't want to buy new mirrors and
      > install them myself for fear of something even worse happening.

    • Robert Bruce Thompson
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
        On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 01:37 +0000, eblake00 wrote:

        > I got my site tube today and in the process of centering the secondary
        > under the focuser I loosened it too far...WAY too far and....off it
        > fell, down, down, down...onto the primary shattering both mirrors

        Did the primary mirror really shatter, or was it just scratched? I can't
        imagine it shattering. It's thick enough to serve as bullet-proof glass,
        literally.

        If it is only scratched, you may want to try using it rather than just
        replace it. If the scratch is in the center, in the area shaded by the
        secondary, it won't cause any image degradation at all, because that
        area of the mirror isn't used to form the image.

        Even if the scratch is in an area of the mirror that's used to form the
        image, you might be surprised by just how bad a scratch can be without
        causing any noticeable degradation. Compare the area of the scratch with
        the area of your secondary mirror, which in optical terms is pretty much
        like a huge scratch.

        --
        Robert Bruce Thompson
        thompson@...
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
          No, in my rage of anger I exagerrated...the primary did not
          literally shatter...there is a large scratch across the bottom of
          the primary, it's the secondary that literally DID break. You're
          right...it might not affect the image as much as I suspected. I'll
          replace the 2ndary and see what it's like then swap out the primary
          if I need to. Thanks to everyone who's so willing to help.
          clear skies to everyone .. .

          - Emory

          --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bruce Thompson

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
            Gene, I'll probably give orion a call and see what they can do.
            There is a telescope/optics store an hour from me and there is a
            remote chance they might have the right size secondary. Odds are
            though I'll have to get it from orion since of course they will have
            the exact size for my scope.

            --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Baraff"
            <g2baraff@...> wrote:

            > --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Conley"
            > <econley@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Emory, do you live in or near Michigan? I would be happy to
            help
            > > repair your telescope. E-mail me off the board for a
            suggestion.

            > > Ed Conley
            > > **************
            > >
            > > Ed,
            >
            > You do know that Orion used to be willing to swap your mirror if
            you
            > weren't satisfied with it. (They were also willing to take the
            > whole scope back if you really didn't like it, but they did
            > routinely swap mirrors back in the days when the quality control
            was
            > not as good as it is now.)
            >
            > Because of that, they are likely to be a source of replacement
            > mirrors - just in case you don't have another source of mirrors
            the
            > exact same diameter and the same focal length.
            >
            > And that's a very generous offer of yours to help.
            >
            > Gene

          • Robert Bruce Thompson
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
              Depending on how bad the scratch is, you might be better off sending the
              mirror to Steve Swayze for refiguring and recoating. It's not exactly
              cheap to do that, but it's not all that much more than buying a new
              Chinese/Taiwanese primary, and you end up with a premium mirror.

              For example, Swayze charges $350 to refigure and recoat a 10" mirror. Of
              course, if the scratch is deep enough to require regrinding (as opposed
              to just refiguring) it may be a lot cheaper just to buy a new
              Chinese/Taiwanese primary mirror. Orion sells their 10" f/4.7 primaries
              for $300.

              --
              Robert Bruce Thompson
              thompson@...
              http://www.ttgnet.com/thisweek.html
            • Phil Lefever
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
                At 12:03 PM 4/1/2006, you wrote:
                >Depending on how bad the scratch is, you might be better off sending the
                >mirror to Steve Swayze for refiguring and recoating.

                Or yet another option, just have the mirror recoated. Its not too likely
                that there was much damage to the actual glass substrate. Recoating the
                mirror at Spectrum Coatings will only cost $100 (and could be a step up
                from the factory coating too).

                Of course if you are already shelling out the money to recoat maybe its
                not a totally bad idea to pay a bit more for some testing to insure that
                your mirror is worth spending money on.

                I would call Orion first and see what they might do to help out. They
                are sometimes known for helping out in a time of need.

                Clear Skies,

                PL

                Phil Lefever - Burnsville, MN
                Amateur Radio Callsign - KB0NES EN34jt
                C8-SP XT-10 C102 80WV
                MNAA & MAS Member
              • steve_feist2003
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
                  -

                  > I got my site tube today and in the process of centering the secondary
                  > under the focuser I loosened it too far...WAY too far and....off it
                  > fell, down, down, down...onto the primary shattering both mirrors and
                  > here I sit a miserable man with a telescope in need of repairs.
                  > Everyone, if you're a beginner, don't be foolish like me. Use caution,
                  > and...maybe even ask someone more experienced than you to do your
                  > collimation for you.

                  Emory,

                  Bummer! That sucks! I have attempted to protect my XT-10i from my
                  typical klutsiness by installing a safety strap for the secondary
                  mirror. It is nothing more that a wire cable fishing leader that is
                  wrapped multiple times around a tie wrap and is super glude to it.

                  The tie warp in turn goes around the secondary mounting pedestal and
                  is super glued to it. The top clasp of the leader is attached to the
                  center of the spider vane. It costs about a buck & a half and is cheap
                  insurance for preventing this type of nightmare. I highly recommend it!

                  I will try to post a couple of pics of how I installed this tommorow
                  after I finish these (#*!!%) taxes.

                  Cheer up!

                  S.F.
                  XT10i & ST 80
                • Cliff Hedgepeth
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
                    Is the primary shattered or just scratched badly? As light as the
                    secondary is, I wouldn't think it would shatter the primary. If it
                    scratched it and its in the center, you don't use that part of the
                    mirror anyway, it is shadowed by the secondary.

                    something that was mentioned earlier that really needs to be stressed
                    is, sit on a stool while working on the ota and pull it down just
                    lower than level. That way anything that gets dropped rolls to the
                    front. Also make sure it is pointed out of the sun's path.

                    Cliff Hedgepeth

                    --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "steve_feist2003"