Re: XT8 or XT10?

  • rick_245
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
      I have both (the XT10 is on long-term loan). I have a backyard
      observatory, and have spent quite a bit of time with both. Yes, you
      get more detail with the XT10, and it's heavier. If I want to lug the
      XT10, it's two trips, while the XT8 is one.

      The XT8 cools down more quickly.

      It's not a huge difference, at least to my eyes. I find the XT8 is
      just more manageable in all areas. It push-to's easier, and seems to
      have less az resistance as well.

      You'll be happy as a clam with either, though. If I only had one,
      given my stay-at-home-most-of-the-time, I'd for sure have the XT10.
      There are those really dark nights when you get the extra trails off
      some DSO that you don't see in the XT8.

      Have fun!

      Richard in the west end of the Antelope Valley, California
    • Jack Nelson
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
        Good evening, where ever your name is. Glad to have you in the group.
        I've just recently joined, and believe me this place is an
        encyclopedia of information.

        I have a Celestron 8, and just got an XT-10i. I'd look at it this way.
        Eigher scope is of a quality that you will probably have it for
        several years. If it's only $150 or so difference, that is only a
        couple $s a month. The extra 2" of apature transulates to 40+ % more
        light gathering ability, and in your really dark skys....I'd gladly
        pay a couple bucks for that.

        I decided to spring for the Intelliscope option...you can't add it
        later, but this adds a little more too.

        Have fun.

        Jack Nelson K5FSE
        Cumming, GA
      • David Mohler
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2006
          --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "mills0688"
          <mills0688@...> wrote:

          > I have always been interested in telescopes and astronomy, and i
          would
          > like to buy one, ive narrowed it down to either the XT8 and XT10,
          > like both of them because theyre easy to use and from what i read
          are
          > good quality scopes, ive read reviews that said 500 was good for
          the
          > XT8, and they said that was a tremendous value, and now that its
          down
          > to 359, it sounds even better.I dont want to spend a ton of money,
          359
          > sounds like a great price, but the aperture of the 10inch seems
          like
          > itd be a lot better, but i dont know if i want to spend the $530
          right
          > away, and its heavier. Any advice on which would be a better
          starter
          > scope? also, how much more can you see with the XT 10, because i
          live
          > in a very dark area with basically zero light pollution except
          lights
          > on the horizon from a smaller city about 15 miles away, other than
          > that, every other part of the sky is extremely dark, there arent
          even
          > any street lights, so i wouldnt have to go anywhere but my
          backyard for
          > viewing, any suggestions on which scope to get, and is the XT8
          enough
          > if i go that route?

          I've had an XT10 for three years and am glad I got it instead of an
          XT8 if for no other reason than to stave off some of the dreaded
          aperture fever.I've looked through 18's,24's and 30's,and though
          I've lusted after them,for practicality's sake,I'm still very happy
          with what I have.
          I use my scope at home mostly,but also take it out to our club's
          observatory fairly often.The size is not a problem for me,but should
          certainly be taken into consideration.If you don't want to tote
          it,you won't want to use it.Ican carry all my gear out in two
          trips.Trip one---base,stool,eyepiece case,and small table with
          shoulder strap.Trip two---tube.
          You also need to be sure it will fit in your vehicle if you plan on
          taking it anywhere,though there really isn't much difference
          physically in size between the two.
          One plus that I haven't seen mentioned is that the 10 has a 9x50
          finder compared to the 8's 6x30.The larger finder is a definite plus
          when you are hunting down some objects.I found the 6x30 woefully
          inadequate on my daughter's XT4.5 after having used the 9x50 for so
          long.
          As for the intelliscope option,I initially wished I had it after
          many frustrating nights looking for faint fuzzies.Now that my skills
          have improved,though,I think I get a lot more satisfaction finding
          things on my own.Just be patient!With practice,it gets a lot easier.
          In the long run,if the size isn't a problem,I think the extra $170
          would be money well spent.But either way,you'll have a great scope.
          Also,if your not in a huge hurry,watch Orion's clearance
          section.I've seen both of these scopes in there fairly often.I
          bought the XT4.5 from there and couldn't tell it from new.

          Good luck and enjoy!

          David Mohler
          Midland NC
        • Ant Carlos
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 6, 2006
            Hello,
            I am new here, My name is Ant.
            I am architect, artist, painter and love astronomy.
            The reason why I subscribed to this group is that I've got a XT10 few months ago.

            As for our unamed friend, I'd say get the XT10. If you go for the XT8, you'll always be wondering what the 10" apperture would give you that the 8" doesn't. It may sound just a few things now, but with time those things will make some difference.

            David Mohler wrote:
            >As for the intelliscope option,I initially wished I had it after
            >many frustrating nights looking for faint fuzzies.Now that my skills
            >have improved,though,I think I get a lot more satisfaction finding
            >things on my own.Just be patient!With practice,it gets a lot easier.

            David,
            You are right. I believe the amateur astronomer is a hunter (a star hunter). That's the joy of the hobby and those go-to's may kill the magic. It's like if a computerized rifle was finding and aiming at the deers we were hunting (if we were deer hunters) and all we had to do was pull the trigger. After a while that would not be fun anymore.

            Kind regards from sunny Brazil,

            Ant
            www.antcarlos.com.br
> [...]

            finder compared to the 8's 6x30.The larger finder is a definite plus
            when you are hunting down some objects.I found the 6x30 woefully
            inadequate on my daughter's XT4.5 after having used the 9x50 for so
            long.
            As for the intelliscope option,I initially wished I had it after
            many frustrating nights looking for faint fuzzies.Now that my skills
            have improved,though,I think I get a lot more satisfaction finding
            things on my own.Just be patient!With practice,it gets a lot easier.
            In the long run,if the size isn't a problem,I think the extra $170
            would be money well spent.But either way,you'll have a great scope.
            Also,if your not in a huge hurry,watch Orion's clearance
            section.I've seen both of these scopes in there fairly often.I
            bought the XT4.5 from there and couldn't tell it from new.

            Astronomy star name Astronomy book Astronomy camera ccd

          • Rob Jaworski
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6, 2006
              David Mohler wrote:
              > I've lusted after them,for practicality's sake,I'm still very happy
              > with what I have.

              I have the XT8i and I'm pretty happy with it too, even after looking through
              bigger scopes. Thing is, at star parties, the bigger scopes will always be
              around!

              > As for the intelliscope option,I initially wished I had it after
              > many frustrating nights looking for faint fuzzies.Now that my skills
              > have improved,though,I think I get a lot more satisfaction finding
              > things on my own.
              I used the COL for a while, but now I just star hop. It's more challenging and
              fun. When I do get around to using the computer, it's more of a "let's see how
              well this thing's working", than a useful tool to actually find something I
              want to look at.

              -Rob

              --- David Mohler <davidmohler@...> wrote:

              > --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "mills0688"
              > <mills0688@...> wrote:

              <snip>

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • rw44123
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 13, 2006
                <mills0688@...> wrote:

                > I have always been interested in telescopes and astronomy, and i
                would
                > like to buy one, ive narrowed it down to either the XT8 and XT10, i
                > like both of them because theyre easy to use and from what i read
                are
                > good quality scopes, ive read reviews that said 500 was good for
                the
                > XT8, and they said that was a tremendous value, and now that its
                down
                > to 359, it sounds even better.I dont want to spend a ton of money,
                359
                > sounds like a great price, but the aperture of the 10inch seems
                like
                > itd be a lot better, but i dont know if i want to spend the $530
                right
                > away, and its heavier. Any advice on which would be a better
                starter
                > scope? also, how much more can you see with the XT 10, because i
                live
                > in a very dark area with basically zero light pollution except
                lights
                > on the horizon from a smaller city about 15 miles away, other than
                > that, every other part of the sky is extremely dark, there arent
                even
                > any street lights, so i wouldnt have to go anywhere but my backyard
                for
                > viewing, any suggestions on which scope to get, and is the XT8
                enough
                > if i go that route?

                This has been a common question here. To be short and brief, I went
                through this "dilemna" myself a few years ago. I went with the XT8
                and have never looked back. I'm 6' 200#,and it's right at the border
                of what I can handle for short movements of the scope. But as an
                added suggestion, make sure you get a good finder (like the 50mm
                right angle), and a Telrad or a Rigel unit finder. These two items
                can be purchased additionally for about a hundred bucks total. They
                almost eliminate common biginner frustrations with a new scope. Good
                luck. You'll love either scope.