Re: Rookie with a new XT8

  • bhoffman@axiom8.com
    Message 1 of 42 , Oct 1 5:39 AM
      I'd like to add another book that made a HUGE difference for
      me...It's the Messier Merathon book published by Willman-Bell. Once
      I got this book and the Rigel I found about 12 or 13 M-objects the
      first time out! You have to do a little adjusting for the Rigel but
      it's basically just a matter of doubling the circles.

      --- In skyquest-telescopes@y..., Phil Lefever <kb0nes@i...> wrote:
> [...]
      > a shame we all look at too many astrophotographs that spoil us.
      > M31 even from dark skies in my friends 25" dob shows little
      > structure. Also no filter will significantly improve a galaxy or
      > cluster, unfortunately.
      > >2. Will a filter be necessary to see most nebulae (or at least see
      > >them well)?
      > In almost no cases will a filter be "needed" to see a nebula. It
      > (if not most) cases a filter can make a significant improvement in
      > the contrast of the image though. Especially true from light
      > suburban skies. I own several LPR (Light Pollution Reduction) and
      > narrow band filters and I won't observe without them, but they are
      > no replacement for truly dark skies. If you were going to but a 1st
      > filter I'd suggest an Orion Ultrablock or maybe a Lumicron UHC.
      > The broadband filters like the Orion Skyglow filter can help but
      > the effect is minimal except in skies that are heavily polluted by
      > man made light.
      > From your Silver Spring skies you will be able to see a number
      > of the brighter deep sky objects. The Orion Nebula will look good,
      > M13 Great cluster in Hercules should be easy, M31 Andromeda
      > galaxy and M27 Dumbell nebula should all be decent. I do suggest
      > you look at all these objects again from somewhere far from the
      > city lights though. The difference will AMAZE you, filter or not!
      > faint deep sky objects are best observed during a New Moon night
      > when the illumination from the Moon is minimal. This makes a HUGE
      > difference!
      > >3. What do you think would be the highest power EP I could use here
      > >on most nights (seeing Saturn through the 9mm provided with the
      > >had more longing for more power)?
      > The general rule of thumb is 40X per inch of telescope aperture.
      > of course gives you 320X which would equate to about a 4mm eyepiece.
      > Of course all rules are made to be broken and this one has a few
      > First the atmosphere you are looking through needs to be steady
      > is referred to as "Seeing" conditions). Second your telescope needs
      > be aligned (collimated) well. Also an eyepiece with this short of a
      > length would be annoying due to it's small eye lens and short eye
      > What can you do about this? Well the seeing conditions nothing. Just
      > keep upping the power until the image goes mushy then back off. That
      > will be the limit for that point in time and that object. Telescope
      > is under your control and a properly adjusted 'scope will reward
      it's owner
      > for learning how to properly align a telescope. The StarWare book
      as well
      > as some online information can describe collimation and star
      > Finally as for the eyepieces. My recommendation is to buy a quality
      > Barlow lens. This slips under your eyepiece and doubles it's
      > The Celestron Ultima Barlow is the bang for the buck hands down
      > For about $70 you can double your effective eyepiece collection.
      The 25mm

      Message 42 of 42 , Oct 12 6:05 AM
        Thanks for the tip Jeremy! I'll do that next time I go

        --- stjerome@... wrote:

        > If it shows up centered in the 25mm, the Telrad is
        > not the problem. The
        > target is drifting while you are switching
        > eyepieces. You have to be
        > quick about it. One trick is to center the target,
        > and then take
        > another quick peek thru the finderscope, to remember
        > what the finder
        > view looks like. I hunt in this order: Telrad,
        > finder, low mag, high
        > mag. If you lose the target, back up a step or two.

        Do You Yahoo!?