Re: Intelliscope to laptop with ECU demo and Cartes du Ciel

  • rapideye.geo
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
      --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "snorklersrus"
      <snorkler@j...> wrote:
      > I need to get some red acrylic plastic shielding so my computer
      > monitor doesn't ruin my night vision like it did tonight.

      CdC has a night vision mode that works pretty well (at least on my
      laptop). You might have to play with the color for the ground - the
      default color is a bright green, but easy enough to change (mine is a
      dark brown now). Go to Preferences, then to Chart Parameters. In
      the lower right corner, you can change the color of the 'ground'.

      Just flip it to NV mode (big bright red lightbulb icon on the
      toolbar), then turn your monitor brightness to as dim as it will go.
      Usually, there are hotkeys on the keyboard for that, but you may have
      to go into the power settings or even the bios setup to tweak the LCD
      panel brightness.

      Ohhh, one more thing... CdC tries to show the brightness of either
      the setting/rising sun and or moon (depending on fullness) by turning
      the background of the main chart varying shades of blue. You can
      disable that and just turn it pitch black by clicking on the icon two
      to the right of the NV mode - it looks like a square that is half
      black and half blue. Removing any blueness should help even more on
      the nightvision.

      <RE>
    • MaxIPTer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
        Try this for red screen: go to an office supply store and by a red document protector. Get the kind with a little flap on the top and hook the flap over the top of the scrren. If you can't to this and your laptop has a hook on it to keep the scren closed, just cut a hole in the document protector and hook it through the hook. If all this fails, fasten some velcro. Velcro is magic.

        Max
      • mark84541
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2004
          -- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, snorkler@j... wrote:

          > connectors right, then still having to buy a DB-9 to USB cable at
          > Ratshack for $41+, since my laptop doesn't have a serial adapter

          Yes, most modern laptops do not have a serial port in order to save
          space. If you don't like radioshack(like I), you can find these
          adaptors at many computer stores as well, such as compusa.

          If you use a USB adaptor, you need you follow the instructions that
          come with it for installing drivers if needed.

          > Since USB
          > communications use 5 V DC and can damage components like your
          > Intelliscope, you have to buy the DB-9 to USB cable. Worse, you

          Not sure what you are getting at here, but USB and RS232(serial) are
          completly different port types. Further details are not needed to et
          this working, but I can say that if you attempt to wire a usb port to
          your intelliscope with just wires, you do not risk damaging your
          intelliscope, but you do risk damaging the USB port on your laptop.

          > At one time, I had a cable with a phone handset cable, female DB-9,
          > female DB-25, and male DB-25 all wired together, so I could plug my male
          > DB-25 serial cable into my laptop's parallel port. Don't follow my
          > example ;-(

          Hmmm, not sure what you were trying here, but for others, don't do
          this! You do risk damaging a laptops parallel(printer or LPT) port if
          you try to connect it to the intelliscope. Besides, it won't work.
          Although it is possible to have a serial port with a 25 pin connector,
          I have never seen it on a PC more recent than a 486. If you have at
          least a pentium, there is approximatly 0% chance of having a 25pin
          serial port. In otherwords, if you have a 25 pin port, it is a
          parallel one, not serial. Serial is a 9 pin. If you don't have it,
          then you don't have it, use USB.

          For the majority of people out there, the apropriate thing is to
          purchase Orion's cable, then if you do not have a serial port, use a
          USB to RS232 adaptor.

          > I got the scope icon positioned in the display with ECU demo, but
          > with an inaccurate display.

          With ECU do the following: (from a prior post)

          Step 3: Setup scope as usual with object locator. Connect serial cable
          to smaller connector on the object locator. The other end of your
          serial cable goes to a open port on your pc. (If you don't have a
          serial port, you could try one of those USB to RS232 dongles)

          Step 4: Align the object locator as usual as described in the Orion
          manual. Now you can use the object locator as normal.

          Step 5: Start up and configure ECU. Under the telescope menu select
          "telescope type and general settings", then select telescope type "Orion
          Intelliscope Object Locator". The default settings (including the
          encoder setting) are automatically inserted. (if you mess them up, the
          encoder resolution for both is 9216 with the azimuth direction being
          reversed)

          Step 6: Enable the telescope interface in ECU, performing it's alignment
          routine. (Telescope menu, "enable telescope interface") You may wish
          to change the default alignment stars first by selecting the desired
          star, then in the telescope menu, select alignment stars, then 1st or 2nd.

          Step 7: When enabled, you will need to perform the alignment procedure
          for ECU. I find it is easier if you use the same stars in ECU as you
          did with the object locator. I always used the 2 star alignment, and
          used the +90 setting(with the tube pointed up just like with the object
          locator).

          Now you should be working!

          > have yet to figure out how this will be beneficial to my viewing,
          since I
          > haven't figured out how either software program will guide me to
          > objects,
          > or display my location on their star maps. Hopefully, I'll figure this
          > out today and pass the information on the the rest of you.

          There are two benefits in my mind. First, you get a chart view. With
          the object locator, you need to cross reference manually with a print
          chart if you want to see where you are, or what is nearby. Second,
          you can have a larger database.

          I use it by using ECU to scroll around the chart, and pick the object
          I want. Then I just move the scope until the cross hairs are pointing
          at my object(using zoom out and in as appropriate to see enough of the
          chart). Alternatively, you can select the object, and press the
          button for goto, and a popup window will appear which functions the
          same as the finding method with the object locator. Move your scope
          so the numbers are zero.

          > ECU demo
          > Right now, ECU demo looks like it will display an RA/Dec display
          > that you

          > can use to match to a target. My problem last night is it showed
          > Albireo's RA/Dec settings completely off from where my scope was
          > pointing

          > as I was looking at Albireo. I think my problem lies in not being able
          > to tell ECU demo when I'm aligned.

          To double check, align your locator and find an object or two to know
          that it is aligned good.(this isn't really needed, but is a good place
          to start when having problems) Then, align ECU with a 2 star
          alignment and the +90 option.(+90 is vertical) When done, make sure
          the chart view shows the cross hairs on the star you finished the
          alignment with. If so, point the scope back to the first alignment
          star, and again make sure the cross hairs in the chart view point at
          the correct star. If this isn't working you must be doing something
          different in ECU alignment. Perhaps you are not pointing at the stars
          you think you are, or perhaps you have ECU configured for something
          different.

          A couple more points:
          You need to provide location information into ECU(like any planetarium
          program). If you cannot find your locations lat/lon, use the nearest
          city, and you should end up close

          the +90 setting is relying on your pointing the scope vertical. by
          moving the tube up agaist the stop, you are not necessarily pointing
          vertical, just perpendicular to your ground. I have never had any
          problem, and I've never bothered leveling my base.

          If you find that the setup is close, but not perfect, these things
          might be good areas to work on.

          > I should set it back to its default of 2000 steps? It will

          2000 is not correct. It must be set to 9612.

          Mark
        • shafferb1
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
            --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Hedgepeth"
            <cliff_hedgepeth@h...> wrote:

            > This serial port delima for newer laptops is going to be a problem
            > for the un computer literate. A suggestion is to buy an old cheap
            > laptop for outside. I had ecu pro talking on a 120mhz NEC Laptop.
            > work in electronics but opted to buy the cable from Orion.
            >
            > There are a number of companies specializing in older laptope. I
            > bought a 750mhz Dell with serial port for $330 from a company
            called
            > Retrobox.
            >
            > You need to do a 2 star alignment for ECU to work. I think there's
            > way just to output everything from the handheld but haven't
            figured
            > out that one. I still like the handheld.
            >
            > Cliff

            To just output everything, just go into the ALT/AZ test mode. That
            wakes everything up and immediately starts transmitting. Still have
            that awful 15 minute timeout though. Here are some great hints
            about the intelliscope. http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~de-
            smet/intelliscope.html
          • Gene Baraff
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
              --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "shafferb1"
              <shafferb1@y...> wrote:

              > To just output everything, just go into the ALT/AZ test mode.
              That
              > wakes everything up and immediately starts transmitting. Still
              have
              > that awful 15 minute timeout though. Here are some great hints
              > about the intelliscope. http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~de-
              > smet/intelliscope.html

              This link to Mark De Smet's work has been in our "Member's Web
              Pages" folder in the links section since Mark first put it up.

              Because of its specil utility, I have also included another link to
              it, not in a folder, but in our links section where you all may come
              across it more obviously.

              Gene
            • snorkler@juno.com