solar filters

  • JJ Krawczyk and Chris Adams
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 7:07 AM
      Hello,

      First, I'd like to apologize for the weather in the NE US. My Barlow
      showed up on Tuesday, and after a short tease of clearing that afternoon,
      it soon clouded up and now the sky is falling. Sorry sorry sorry... I
      won't buy anything else for a while. ;)

      I had thought that a solar filter would be the last accessory I'd be
      interested in, given the fear instilled in me at a young age (don't look at
      the sun! Especially during an eclipse!). However, I was checking the
      weather forecast the other night and Todd Gross (of weatherman.com fame)
      had a blurb on the transit of Venus across the sun that will be happening
      on June 8 (sunrise to 7:15am eastern time - see
      http://www.whdh.com/weather/ and scroll toward the bottom). So now I'm
      thinking about it.

      I found one discussion on the Orion solar filters in the archives, but I'm
      wondering what everyone else uses and how they like what they have. Might
      I just be happy to try naked-eye and binocular viewing with a #14 welder's
      filter? Does anyone use Mylar or Baader with their dobs? Dickenson/Dyer
      recommend a 23A filter in conjunction with Mylar to get rid of the blue -
      does anyone do this?

      Thanks in advance.

      -jj (in soggy, soggy Massachusetts)
    • Mark Rathbun
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 7:20 AM
        Hi

        I use a baader filter on my XT-8 and it works great. I got mine from
        Kendrick Astro Systems. Here is a link to their products:

        http://www.kendrick-ai.com/astro/solarfilters.html

        You could easily build one yourself for much less if you are so
        inclined. You might also want to consider an aperature mask as well as
        it helps greatly to improve the view.

        Mark

        --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, JJ Krawczyk and Chris
        Adams <cc88msu83@r...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > First, I'd like to apologize for the weather in the NE US. My Barlow
        > showed up on Tuesday, and after a short tease of clearing that
        afternoon,
        > it soon clouded up and now the sky is falling. Sorry sorry sorry... I
        > won't buy anything else for a while. ;)
        >
        > I had thought that a solar filter would be the last accessory I'd be
        > interested in, given the fear instilled in me at a young age (don't
        look at
        > the sun! Especially during an eclipse!). However, I was checking the
        > weather forecast the other night and Todd Gross (of weatherman.com
        fame)
        > had a blurb on the transit of Venus across the sun that will be
        happening
        > on June 8 (sunrise to 7:15am eastern time - see
        > http://www.whdh.com/weather/ and scroll toward the bottom). So now I'm
        > thinking about it.
        >
        > I found one discussion on the Orion solar filters in the archives,
        but I'm
        > wondering what everyone else uses and how they like what they have.
        Might
        > I just be happy to try naked-eye and binocular viewing with a #14
        welder's
        > filter? Does anyone use Mylar or Baader with their dobs?
        Dickenson/Dyer
        > recommend a 23A filter in conjunction with Mylar to get rid of the
        blue -
        > does anyone do this?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > -jj (in soggy, soggy Massachusetts)
      • albireo2ds
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1 8:16 AM
          Adams <cc88msu83@r...> wrote:
          transit of Venus across the sun that will be happening
          > on June 8
          > I found one discussion on the Orion solar filters in the archives,
          but I'm
          > wondering what everyone else uses and how they like what they have.
          Might
          > I just be happy to try naked-eye and binocular viewing with a #14
          welder's
          > filter? Does anyone use Mylar or Baader with their dobs?
          Dickenson/Dyer
          > recommend a 23A filter in conjunction with Mylar to get rid of the
          blue -
          > does anyone do this?

          I have a ETX90 and i use a scopetronix full apeture class A solar
          filter, it cost £90 which is a little expensive but for what it does
          (saving your eyes) its priceless,
          This screws onto the tube of my ETX and i have enjoyed numerous views
          of the sun and its sunspots and am really looking forward to june 8th,
          but this is the uk so clouds may want to play silly buggers,
          however its a top class solar filter and it actually shows you the sun
          as it should be, yellow and not blue or grey.
          I highly recommend this filter.
          hope this helps
        • kk5213@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1 8:50 AM
            I bought a badder filter or rather the material and made one for my five inch
            refractor.
            the film works just fine. 12 bucks
            kk

          • Don
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1 4:38 PM
              I bought one of the Orion solar filters and am quite satisfied with
              it. I got the glass one that is coated with the filter film. It is
              on sale now for $116. (Sale ends 4-5-04) This filter slip fits my 8"
              scope tightly without a chance of falling off.

              I think the chance of getting pinholes or other problems with the
              mylar or film filters is too great to risk using them. You can end up
              using a white cane in the blink of an eye, so-to-speak. I even
              hesitated some about viewing the sun but decided that it might be
              worth it. I track sunspots, etc. The thing to remember is that your
              scope gathers so much more light than your eye that the effect of
              exposute can be quite severe.

              Anyway, the Orion filter seems to work well and hopefully last a long
              time.

              Don

              Adams <cc88msu83@r...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > First, I'd like to apologize for the weather in the NE US. My Barlow
              > showed up on Tuesday, and after a short tease of clearing that
              afternoon,
              > it soon clouded up and now the sky is falling. Sorry sorry sorry... I
              > won't buy anything else for a while. ;)
              >
              > I had thought that a solar filter would be the last accessory I'd be
              > interested in, given the fear instilled in me at a young age (don't
              look at
              > the sun! Especially during an eclipse!). However, I was checking the
              > weather forecast the other night and Todd Gross (of weatherman.com
              fame)
              > had a blurb on the transit of Venus across the sun that will be
              happening
              > on June 8 (sunrise to 7:15am eastern time - see
              > http://www.whdh.com/weather/ and scroll toward the bottom). So now I'm
              > thinking about it.
              >
              > I found one discussion on the Orion solar filters in the archives,
              but I'm
              > wondering what everyone else uses and how they like what they have.
              Might
              > I just be happy to try naked-eye and binocular viewing with a #14
              welder's
              > filter? Does anyone use Mylar or Baader with their dobs?
              Dickenson/Dyer
              > recommend a 23A filter in conjunction with Mylar to get rid of the
              blue -
              > does anyone do this?
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              >
              > -jj (in soggy, soggy Massachusetts)
            • Robert Bruce Thompson
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1 6:39 PM
                Don wrote:

                > I think the chance of getting pinholes or other problems with the
                > mylar or film filters is too great to risk using them. You can end up
                > using a white cane in the blink of an eye, so-to-speak.

                Although a filter, glass or film, that has begun to develop a lot of
                pinholes should be replaced, there's no reason to fear using a filter
                made from Baader film. One or a few pinholes isn't going to cause you to
                go blind.

                Most visual solar filter material is ND5, which is to say it transmits
                10e-5 or 1/10,000th of the incident light. For example, if you are using
                a 100mm circular Baader film filter, that scope has an equivalent
                aperture of 1mm, which is on the close order of your eye's minimum pupil
                size. On that basis, one might think that viewing through such a filter
                would blind a person instantly. Not so, because we're using
                magnification. If we are viewing Sol at 100X linear magnification, that
                means we're magnifying the image 10,000X areally. Sol is an extended
                object, and as you magnify it, it becomes dimmer because the same amount
                of light is being spread over a much larger area.

                Same thing holds true for pinholes. Assume that a large pinhole has a
                diameter of 0.1mm. In effect, and disregarding the light transmitted by
                the intact filter material, that pinhole is acting as an aperture mask,
                reducing your scope's aperture to 0.1mm. Taking magnification into
                consideration, there is no danger.

                Furthermore, Baader filter material is coated on both sides, so the
                likelihood of a pinhole on one side corresponding to a matching pinhole
                on the other side is just about nil. In fact, Baader film is actually
                safer to use than a glass filter. See

                <http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/solar_acc/astrosolar>

                for more details.

                --
                Robert Bruce Thompson
                thompson@...
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1 8:36 PM

                  > I had thought that a solar filter would be the last accessory I'd
                  be
                  > interested in, given the fear instilled in me at a young age
                  (don't look at
                  > the sun! Especially during an eclipse!).

                  > I found one discussion on the Orion solar filters in the archives,
                  but I'm
                  > wondering what everyone else uses and how they like what they
                  have. > Thanks in advance.

                  > -jj (in soggy, soggy Massachusetts)

                  I use a Thousand Oaks solar filter. As I already lost sight in my
                  right eye as a youth it took me quite a while to work up the nerve
                  to use it. I have come up with a few safety measures and enjoy
                  observing the Sun often. The seeing was not all tha great and I
                  could have focused better but for an idea of how things look click
                  the links below.

                  Peace,

                  Vern

                  http://home.comcast.net/~nitavern/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--
                  SiteID-1462523.html

                  http://home.comcast.net/~nitavern/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--
                  SiteID-1462802.html
                • kk5213@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2 4:08 AM
                    For what its worth, the instruction sheet that came with my baader film said
                    that if you see pin holes to touch the spot with a black magic marker.
                    I haven't had any problems with mine. I made my own per the instruction
                    sheet and it works great.
                    ken