Observation Logs

  • john_volent@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1 9:05 AM
      Are there any good observation logs out there (notebook or
      software)? I would like to track which objects I see during a
      night. It would be nice to have a feature on my Starry Night
      software to enter observation data on an object and date.

      Also, any opinions on the Rigel Starlite for a flashlight?

      Thanks
    • nicholl.cj@mellon.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1 9:28 AM
        --- In skyquest-telescopes@y..., john_volent@y... wrote:
        > Are there any good observation logs out there (notebook or
        > software)? I would like to track which objects I see during a
        > night. It would be nice to have a feature on my Starry Night
        > software to enter observation data on an object and date.
        >
        > Also, any opinions on the Rigel Starlite for a flashlight?
        >
        > Thanks

        I don't know if you use a Palm, but there are a few Palm observing
        logs. I don't use them, so I can't speak to how simple they are, but
        there *is* a relatively new PalmAstro group that Rod Mollise set up,
        specifically for Palm/astro related questions. If you're interested,
        here's the link:

        Chris N.
      • mtnhome62@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1 9:43 AM
          --- In skyquest-telescopes@y..., john_volent@y... wrote:
          > Also, any opinions on the Rigel Starlite for a flashlight?

          I have used the Rigel Starlight flashlight for a few years and really
          like it! The dimming capability is a definate plus when trying to
          keep your eyes dark adapted.

          Carl
        • Jay Theilacker
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1 9:46 AM
            I use Deepsky 2000 to plan and log my observations. The program has
            an extensive database of objects and has reasonable charting built
            in. The cost is reasonable. You can find it at www.deepsky2000.net.
            Deepsky2000 also has a Yahoo group under, I believe,
            astronomy/deepsky.

            I feel that it is important to carefully assess various logging
            methods before jumping in. Once you start, you may have a difficult
            time moving data to a new format if you determine that the one you
            chose is not working for you.
            Good luck,
            Jay

            --- In skyquest-telescopes@y..., john_volent@y... wrote:
            > Are there any good observation logs out there (notebook or
            > software)? I would like to track which objects I see during a
            > night. It would be nice to have a feature on my Starry Night
            > software to enter observation data on an object and date.
            >
            > Also, any opinions on the Rigel Starlite for a flashlight?
            >
            > Thanks
          • Mark Wilden
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1 2:34 PM
              > --- In skyquest-telescopes@y..., john_volent@y... wrote:

              > > Are there any good observation logs out there (notebook or
              > > software)? I would like to track which objects I see during a
              > > night. It would be nice to have a feature on my Starry Night
              > > software to enter observation data on an object and date.

              Well, since you can do this (probably easier) with a plain old pen and
              notebook, maybe you could describe what capabilities you'd like to see in a
              observation logging program. In other words, what results would you like to
              get out of it?

              When I was a kid, I thought the coolest thing would be to catalog my books
              (needless to say, I wasn't exactly the coolest kid in my neighborhood). I
              spent hours typing up 3x5 cards, and I'd got about halfway through my 3,000
              books before I gave it up. However, there were these "personal computers" on
              the horizon...

              When I finally did get a computer, I ended up becoming a database designer.
              I cataloged a lot of things, but not my general library. I finally faced the
              fact that it would require a ton of work and at the end of the day, what
              would it benefit me? I knew exactly what books I owned and where they were.
              It would have been a case of computerizing something that didn't need
              computerization.

              I'm just reminded of my book cataloging project whenever I hear talk of
              computerizing a project. Clearly, there can be advantages to an observation
              logger (which Messiers haven't I seen yet?), but (in my opinion only), it
              sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

              And I don't know anything that lets you enter sketches.
            • Mark Wilden
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1 2:35 PM
                > --- In skyquest-telescopes@y..., john_volent@y... wrote:
                > > Also, any opinions on the Rigel Starlite for a flashlight?

                It's great. Fits in my mouth well, too. :)
              • john_volent@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1 8:11 PM
                  I do tend to agree with you on this point. I downloaded the trial
                  version of Deepsky 2000 v2 and it was a bit too much for being new to
                  the hobby. I will just get a notebook and a Rigel flashlight. I do
                  like Starry Night Backyard though.

                  What amuses me about all this is I bought an XT6 telescope for my 4
                  year old son who seems to be interested and gifted in learning about
                  astronomy ( he knows all the planet's moons with the exception of all
                  of Saturns). Somewhere along the line, I got hooked. Anyways, below
                  is what I have determined to be a great beginner's package.

                  1) XT6 from Orion on Clearance for $289
                  2) Starry Night Backyard ($36.00 download version)
                  3) Telrad or Rigel Quickfinder ( Telrad $36 from Adorama)
                  4) Celestron Ultima Barlow ( $59 from Adorama )
                  5) University Optics 6mm Ortho ( for the planets $58)
                  6) Celestron Ultima 30mm ($85 Adorama)

                  Finally, I have found that you really have to watch shipping charges
                  when ordering supplies for vendors on the net. As you can probably
                  tell from above, I think Adorama has the best shipping charges and
                  prices.

                • alcyone@pe.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2 6:55 AM
                    Hi!
                    I have two formats - one is a blank/lined book for general
                    observations, which I also use as a notebook for notes from astro
                    books I am reading. I use a jar lid for a circle.
                    I also made log pages for the Astro League Observing programs
                    on my computer in Mic Word 2000, though I have them in '97 too
                    (Messier and Universe Sampler). I print them out and put them in a
                    binder. I also cleaned up the Lunar Club and Binary Club web page
                    dowloads. You could modify these as you like. The binder works very
                    well, and having preprinted lines for mag/seeing/EP/obs circle etc.
                    is nice.
                    I agree about computer logs - the reality of paper ones makes
                    entering them in the computer seem shallow.
                    I recommend the Rigel Skylite - it has red light and white on
                    variable.
                    If you (or anyone else!) are intersted in the files, e-mail me and
                    I'll send them as a zip. Clear SKies! Andrea

                    --- In skyquest-telescopes@y..., john_volent@y... wrote:
                    > Are there any good observation logs out there (notebook or
                    > software)? I would like to track which objects I see during a
                    > night. It would be nice to have a feature on my Starry Night
                    > software to enter observation data on an object and date.
                    >
                    > Also, any opinions on the Rigel Starlite for a flashlight?
                    >
                    > Thanks
                  • Ken Coates
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 4 2:02 PM
                      I use Skymap Pro (www.skymap.com). That includes logging.
                      I have the Rigel flashlight and I really like it. It is a little tricky to
                      change the battery (you have to pull a printed circuit board out, but the
                      batteries last so long that it isn't a big deal. I've read about an issue
                      with the adjustable wheel's screw getting loose, but I haven't had that
                      problem.

                      Ken
                    • dugancasey@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2001
                        I found an observation log at this site; for some reason I can't get
                        the page up to browse, but I really like the form that this gentleman
                        created. I just print it, 3-hole punch it, and put it in a binder.
                        Try and check it out if it gets back up. The web site is for
                        the "star hopper," a fellow in Dallas - Mark P.- don't recall his
                        last name.

                        http://srd.yahoo.com/goo/star+hopper/4/*http://frontpage.dallas.net/~m
                        arkp/starhopper_info.html