XT8 right angle finder

  • mayne@shasta.com
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2001
      Hi all!

      Just got my xt8 yesterday (its my first telescope) and after spending
      the first evening using it I must say the telescope was great to use
      except for the finderscope. To anyone who has used the straight
      through scope (all of you reading this) I need to say nothing else.
      My question is this....... Where is a good place to get a right angle
      finderscope for a reasonable price?

      Thanks!
    • mcruz@rochester.rr.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2001
        I got mine from Antares. They don't have a web site but advertise in
        S&T. I got the 8x52 image-erect model. Cost me around $125
        including s/h. I use it along with a Telrad. You can see most
        Messier objects right in the FOV! While you can get more expensive
        ones (UO) this finder is a good value for the money and does its job
        (helping you find objects) well. I wouldn't go back from my current
        setup for nothing in the world!

        Marcelino
        ---

      • mtoconnor@adelphia.net
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2001
          Hope you're enjoying your new scope. I swapped out my finderscope for
          an Antares (8x50) erect image right angle finderscope over a year ago
          (has it really been that long already?!) I love it. Single best mod I
          have made except for the plastic milk jug spacers mod. I don't have a
          contact number for them any more but you can find them with any
          search engine. They are out of Canada, some place on the west coast.

          My next project is going to be to swap out the focuser. Too much slop
          for my taste and for accurate laser collimation. I toyed with the
          idea of upgrading to a 2 inch but with the Antares finder and a
          telrad already on the scope I don't think I need any more weight up
          top.

          Clear skies,
          Mike

        • mcruz@rochester.rr.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2001
            >>They are out of Canada, some place on the west coast.<<

            Sky Instruments in Vancouver, CA. Their phone number is 604-270-2813.

            Marcelino
          • plumeria@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2001
              I believe that the are actually made in China.

              I had read such wonderful reviews here and on the newsgroups about
              this finder that I was a bit disappointed when I finally used it. It
              was the same problem that one person had once posted in the USENET
              astronomy newsgroup (the lone voice of dissent which you can find via
              Google search...).

              It seems you lose about 1 degree of sharpness around the edges where
              the stars are blurry. The advertised Field of View (that I have seen
              posted) is 7 degrees, but in reality it is about 6 (through star
              testing), so losing a degree on either side, gives about 4 degrees of
              sharp viewing. This is still fine for me and much better than the
              previous Orion finderscope.

              I talked with Gary Hand of handsonoptics who sells these and he said
              that I would have to spend a lot more money to get the performance I
              had been expecting....

              peter

            • mcruz@rochester.rr.com
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2001
                Mine shows some blur towards the edges (the 1 degree you are talking
                about) but it is minor and I still get a very generous FOV (> 5
                degrees). I bought this from the perspective that I was going to use
                it as a FINDER. For observing, well that's what the scope is there
                for. You can spend over $200 and get a UO RA finder or better,
                however I can't justify spending that much money on a finder.

                IMHO, the Antares is a very good value and it does its job very
                well. If my average search time was 10 minutes, then with the
                Antares and Telrad my average search time went under 2 minutes. It's
                very easy to match the view with my sky atlas. I haven't repented at
                all that I bought it, on the contrary, I'm very happy with it. I'd
                still recommend it as a very good alternative/upgrade to the Orion
                6x30 finder.

                Marcelino
                --

              • xt8radio@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 15 , May 3, 2001
                  I purchased the Antares right angle finder for the XT8. At $120
                  complete with mounting rigns and shipping, i did noot expect a Tel
                  Vue little telescope. The Antares right angle finder is fine as a
                  finder. Not good as a telescope but I did not want a small aperture
                  scope, just a finder. I also use a Rigel

                  Malcolm

                • ken@osisoft.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2001
                    I have the UO Right Angle Finder and I use that with the Rigel. It
                    was more expensive than the Anatares, but I'm very happy with it. I got it
                    with the quick release base.
                    The biggest downside is that it required 4 lbs. of counterweight at
                    the bottom of the tube to restore balance.
                    On the plus side, star hopping is a joy now. The UO finder has a 4.2
                    degree FOV which is very close to the Telrad 4 degree ring. That makes it
                    easy to star hop with charts that have an Telrad overlay.
                    The main point is that an erect image RA finder is a great addition
                    to the XT-8 and will make it much easier to find things in typical suburban
                    skies. The Rigel is perfect for finding your jump off star. From then on I
                    use the RA finder.

                    Ken
                  • mcruz@rochester.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4, 2001
                      ""The main point is that an erect image RA finder is a great addition
                      to the XT-8 and will make it much easier to find things in typical
                      suburban skies. The Rigel is perfect for finding your jump off star.
                      From then on I use the RA finder."

                      I second this. I have almost the same setup except that I use a
                      Telrad. I sometimes star-hop using the Telrad, or I get to an
                      initial star and from then on use the RA finder.

                      I have set up the RA cross-hairs to match the azimuth and altitude
                      motion of my dob. I always know where I'm at and which way I need to
                      move my scope to get to where I want to go.

                      Marcelino
                    • Brad
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2001
                        Mike,

                        You should try the tape mod before swapping focusers. Makes all the
                        difference in the world. Instructions in files section on this website.
                        One of the members here is selling materal at cost. Probably cost you
                        around $2.

                        Brad

                        On Tue, 01 May 2001 20:36:31 -0000, you wrote:

                        >Hope you're enjoying your new scope. I swapped out my finderscope for
                        >an Antares (8x50) erect image right angle finderscope over a year ago
                        >(has it really been that long already?!) I love it. Single best mod I
                        >have made except for the plastic milk jug spacers mod. I don't have a
                        >contact number for them any more but you can find them with any
                        >search engine. They are out of Canada, some place on the west coast.
                        >
                        >My next project is going to be to swap out the focuser. Too much slop
                        >for my taste and for accurate laser collimation. I toyed with the
                        >idea of upgrading to a 2 inch but with the Antares finder and a
                        >telrad already on the scope I don't think I need any more weight up
                        >top.
                        >
                        >Clear skies,
                        >Mike
                        >--- In skyquest-telescopes@y..., mayne@s... wrote:
                        >> Hi all!
                        >>
                        >> Just got my xt8 yesterday (its my first telescope) and after
                        >spending
                        >> the first evening using it I must say the telescope was great to
                        >use
                        >> except for the finderscope. To anyone who has used the straight
                        >> through scope (all of you reading this) I need to say nothing else.
                        >> My question is this....... Where is a good place to get a right
                        >angle
                        >> finderscope for a reasonable price?
                        >>
                        >> Thanks!
                        >

                        > http://www.egroups.com/group/skyquest-telescopes

                      • cfwcfwcfw
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 29, 2002
                          Right on. I plan to replace the @#% finderscope with an 8x50 erect
                          image right angle finderscope. Orion makes one too -- has anyone
                          bought and tried their's yet? The next thing I plan to do is to
                          replace the rack&pinion focuser witha 2" -- is this a big job -- can
                          it use the current hole in the tube, or does this have to be
                          enlarged? I basically want a richest field wide angle telescope,
                          and I think this works best with 2" eyepieces. If it's too heavy,
                          I will just have to add additional counterweights -- others have
                          done this I know. Does anyone have a source for the 2" rack and
                          pinion focuser which would work with this scope?
                          Charles Wilkes
                          --- In skyquest-telescopes@y..., mtoconnor@a... wrote:
                          > Hope you're enjoying your new scope. I swapped out my finderscope
                          for
                          > an Antares (8x50) erect image right angle finderscope over a year
                          ago
                          > (has it really been that long already?!) I love it. Single best
                          mod I
                          > have made except for the plastic milk jug spacers mod. I don't
                          have a
                          > contact number for them any more but you can find them with any
                          > search engine. They are out of Canada, some place on the west
                          coast.

                          > My next project is going to be to swap out the focuser. Too much
                          slop
                          > for my taste and for accurate laser collimation. I toyed with the
                          > idea of upgrading to a 2 inch but with the Antares finder and a
                          > telrad already on the scope I don't think I need any more weight
                          up
                          > top.
                          >
                          > Clear skies,
                          > Mike
                          > --- In skyquest-telescopes@y..., mayne@s... wrote:
                          > > Hi all!
                          > >
                          > > Just got my xt8 yesterday (its my first telescope) and after
                          > spending
                          > > the first evening using it I must say the telescope was great to
                          > use
                          > > except for the finderscope. To anyone who has used the straight
                          > > through scope (all of you reading this) I need to say nothing
                          else.
                          > > My question is this....... Where is a good place to get a right
                          > angle
                          > > finderscope for a reasonable price?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks!
                        • heavenwatcher2001
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 29, 2002
                            I bought the Orion 9x50 Right Angle Correct Image Finderscope and it
                            is one of the best purchases I've made. It is very sharp, very easy
                            to adjust and much easier on the back. I use the Telrad for
                            pointing into the sky, and then I can search in a more detailed way
                            with the same orientation, since it's correct image. I love it.
                            I'd get it. Reasonable price, too.

                            Jason Fry

                          • beefce
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 29, 2002
                              I bought the Rt. angle finder,Orion 9x50 correct image,but it never
                              made it to the XT8. I found it fit the mount on my LX90 so now I have
                              to get another.I also replaced the Telrad with a Rigel because I
                              found the Telrad difficult to use when viewing near the Zenith.
                            • sdastroguy
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 29, 2002
                                I have the Antares RACI 8x50 finder as well. It is a great
                                finderscope and I would highly recommend it. It also works very well
                                when used in conjunction with a similar size pair of binoculars.

                                As far as I know, no one in the group has replaced the 1.25 with a 2"
                                focuser but I could be wrong there. Several people have mentioned
                                doing this mod, including me. I've not been online in several weeks
                                now so perhaps someone has done this mod. When I checked last with
                                Orion Support, they did not recommend this mod. Check the archives
                                for the posts on that subject.

                                I've been running the numbers through Newt, a shareware telescope
                                configuration program and have had little luck so far unless the
                                secondary is replaced as well as getting a low profile focuser. I
                                have run across a local ATM guy that I'll be checking with on this
                                subject.

                                In any case, you will need to 'enlarge' the focuser hole in the OTA.
                                You will also need a counterweight system of some kind as some of the
                                2" EP's are pretty heavy.

                              • PB
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 30, 2002
                                  --- cfwcfwcfw <cfw@...> wrote:
                                  > Right on. I plan to replace the @#% finderscope
                                  > with an 8x50 erect
                                  > image right angle finderscope. Orion makes one too
                                  > -- has anyone

                                  When I first bought my XT8 I bought the right-angle
                                  scope right off the bat and installed it.
                                  However, I think the right-angle scope (which BTW is
                                  also a Correct-Image unit) is best AFTER you first use
                                  an Orion EZ FINDER (or Telrad) which I do not yet
                                  have, so wind up aiming my scope at a target like a
                                  rifle (I imagine) then checking the finder scope. I'm
                                  also thinking of a way to mount the straight-though
                                  finder as well, but probably won't.

                                  Peter B.
                                  XT8 owner

                                  http://greetings.yahoo.com/