Re: Welcome!

  • Ken Coates
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2000
      I've had one since November of last year. I'm having a great time
      looking at DSO's and planets. In December of last year, I got a few
      days of very steady air, and the views of Jupiter and Saturn were
      fantastic. One night I saw 7 cloud bands on Jupiter and the shadow
      transit of IO.

      I think it is a great starting telescope. My main recommendations to
      new owners are:
      1) Build/Buy an observing chair. I built one the one at:
      http://members.tripod.com/denverastro/seat.html

      2) Read the article at Sky & Telescope
      http://www.skypub.com/resources/testreports/telescopes/0001sixdobs.htm
      about 8" telescopes and make the 2 modifications they recommend:
      a) Add some felt pads below the mirror to support it better.
      b) Add some milk jug washers on the center bolt. I used 6 and they
      make the azimuth motion much smoother.

      3) Get a 1x finder. I bought the Rigel Quikfinder, and I'm very happy
      with it. It fits in between the eyepiece and the finder and doesn't
      affect the balance at all.

      I've since upgraded the finder to a University Optics 8x50 Right
      Angle finder with an Amici Prism. This has greatly improved my star
      hopping ability. It has a 4.2 degree field of view, so it is easy to
      use with Telrad overlays on star charts. It did require me to add 4
      lbs of counterweight to the bottom of the OTA. I used ankle weights
      and taped them to the outside of the tube. The extra weight means
      that I only need to use one tension spring to maintain balance.

      Ken
    • stjerome@uswest.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2000
        The S&T article was the deciding factor for me to get one, plus there
        are 2 Orion dealers in Mpls. (No shipping!) I also use a Rigel
        finder.
        I also have a Meade ETX, and the Orion is my first Newtonian. The
        finder bracket on the XT8 has too small a curve where it contacts the
        tube. I used coarse sandpaper wrapped around an old sonotube and
        sanded a new curve onto the foot of the finderscope bracket. (did
        that
        make sense?) more later, Jeremy V.
      • stjerome@uswest.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2000
          I keep putting off getting a "proper" observing chair; I currently
          use
          a 5 gallon bucket with a padded seat lid; it usually works ok. I am
          considering mounting the entire scope on a lawnmower frame to wheel
          it
          around my yard. This is what Dr. Clyde Tombaugh (discovered Pluto)
          used
          with one of his dobs because no one spot in his yard offered a
          complete
          view. I do use the carrying handle on the box, but I keep the tube
          vertical and steady the top end with my free hand. The way they show
          it
          in the pictures (tube horizontal) seems clumsy to me.
          Jeremy Vecoli, Mpls, MN
        • John Decker
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2000
            --- In skyquest-telescopes@egroups.com, stjerome@u... wrote:
            > I keep putting off getting a "proper" observing chair; I currently
            > use
            > a 5 gallon bucket with a padded seat lid; it usually works ok. I am
            > considering mounting the entire scope on a lawnmower frame to wheel
            > it
            > around my yard. This is what Dr. Clyde Tombaugh (discovered Pluto)
            > used
            > with one of his dobs because no one spot in his yard offered a
            > complete
            > view. I do use the carrying handle on the box, but I keep the tube
            > vertical and steady the top end with my free hand. The way they show
            > it
            > in the pictures (tube horizontal) seems clumsy to me.
            > Jeremy Vecoli, Mpls, MN

            Hi Jeremy,
            I dont presently own a skyquest, but am interested in finding out
            about them. I have a great source of astronomy chairs. Its Jim Flys
            cats perch observing chair. You can buy it built, or as a kit. I just
            recieved one and couldnt be happier. It has a foot rest, and if needed
            (Im 5'8"), I can view from 6' at eyepiece! Check it out at:
            http://home.earthlink.net/~flyj/cecphome.html
            Clear skies
            John Decker