File - Welcome message (Revised December 2002)

  • skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 1:08 AM
      skyquest-telescopes: Welcome and Introduction Page
      Revised December 2002

      1. Introduction and Background

      The skyquest-telescopes forum was founded in July 2000 by Jeremy Vecoli.
      His purpose was to establish a group in which owners of Orion SkyQuest
      XT Telescopes (6" and 8" aperture dobsonian reflectors having a spring
      tensioning system attached to their altitude hubs) could discuss their
      experiences with these scopes.

      Since that time, Orion has expanded the XT line to include a 4 1/2" and a
      10" model, and has changed the exclusive distribution arrangement it made
      with the original manufacturer. The original manufacturer now supplies
      scopes to other marketers. Small dobsonians, of construction similar to that
      of the XT's, are presently available from other sources. At least one other
      manufacturer is now also supplying the market. These non-XT (but
      essentially similar) scopes have been called XT-clones, a name which is not
      meant to be derogatory. Because of the mechanical and optical similarities
      between the original Orion SkyQuest XT line and the clones, the forum
      welcomes discussion from owners and prospective owners of the so-called
      clones as well as from owners of the XT scopes.

      2. Forum Scope and Purpose

      Discussion relating to purchasing experiences (both good and bad),
      problems with getting started and useful hints in that area, problems and
      successes in making modifications, problems and successes relating to the
      use of these scopes, etc. is welcome here. The purpose is to exchange
      information among owners, prospective owners, new users, experienced
      users and inveterate tinkerers. The construction and modest price of these
      scopes does lend itself to do-it-yourself modifications. Some of the
      modifications first proposed by members of this forum have, in fact, been
      included into later XT models. Apparently, Orion follows this forum from
      time to time.

      Getting full use of a telescope often means purchasing and using accessories.
      Eyepieces, filters, finders, dewshields, fans, etc. can enhance the viewing
      experience of any telescope. But the effect of these accessories may vary
      depending on the size and the focal length of the scope, and on the quality of
      the observer's eyes and skies. Discussion of these accessories is therefore
      also welcome on the forum, PROVIDED that the discussion relates to their
      use in the XT or clone scopes.

      Although there are non XT-like small and medium size dobs sold, used, and
      being home built, this forum has chosen to restrict itself to discussion of the
      XT line and its clones. The reason for this is simply to keep a common
      focus to the group, thereby limiting the volume of posts that appear. This
      formula has worked well in the past, with members typically being able to
      read every single posting without being overwhelmed.

      As Jeremy Vecoli first proposed, the forum was never meant to be an all-
      purpose astronomy forum. There exist other and better forums devoted to
      equipment, to observations, software, amateur telescope making , general
      astronomy, etc. Our members are strongly advised to peruse and contribute
      to these other forums so as to retain the XT-and-clone focus of this one.

      3. Posting to the Forum

      Listeners ("lurkers" in net terminology) are encouraged to speak up, even
      before becoming owners or users of the scopes we are interested in. Your
      questions may provoke answers that will be useful to you in making your
      buying decisions or encouraging you to think about other aspects that you
      have not yet considered. Someone, sooner or later, is going to lead you
      down a path that will end up saving you money, even if it by getting you to
      defer any equipment purchase at this time. And guaranteed, someone will
      lead you to ways of getting more out of the equipment you already own.

      The tone of the questions and answers, and the comments about the pros and
      cons of various pieces of equipment or of various retailers has always, in the
      past, been informative and respectful, even when something is being faulted.
      Frank and honest advice to newcomers is always welcome. But do provide
      that information, even if negative, in a way that is reasoned, considerate and
      non-confrontational. Messages whose content violates this spirit of
      cooperation and helpfulness will be deleted: the tone of the forum is as
      important as its content.

      The following thoughts have been taken, with permission, from the "Talking
      Telescopes" policy file. (The TT group is a forum whose focus on
      astronomical equipment is much broader than ours, and is one to which a
      large number of our members also belong):

      Try to avoid posting "banter" type replies. While saying "thanks" or
      "sounds great" etc. is nice, it does add to the volume of messages that really
      do not serve the group. By all means, contribute when you have something
      to say to the group, but if your comments involve just one member, you can
      always communicate with him directly, off line.

      Also, PLEASE don't quote the entire message to which you are replying. It
      is good net form to edit the message down to exhibit only the essential
      points you are addressing, and to retain a reference to the person or message
      to which you are responding. Anybody wanting to see the entire message
      can either click on the "up thread" button at the bottom of the page or, using
      the information you have provided, punch up the entire original message.
      The only thing worse than a "me too" post is a "me too" post followed by all
      twenty-five paragraphs of the eight messages preceding yours in the thread.

      4. Use of the Photos and Files Resources

      In addition to the message board (archives) and the search engine which can
      help you go back through earlier messages, the forum has a "Files" section
      to which members can post and can, via the message board, notify the others
      that they have done so. From time to time, I will go through the files and try
      to rearrange them into some logical order, putting files into folders that more
      or less cover a single topic. I may also have to delete postings from time to
      time: Yahoo provides us with only a limited amount of server space.

      There is also a "Photos" section to which you can post, and arrange your
      own pictures into albums. Material cannot be transferred between the
      "Files" section and the "Photos" section. Because pictures take up more
      storage space than do text files, and because Yahoo has alloted us more
      storage space in the "Photos" section, I recommend against posting pictures
      in the "Files" section, unless there is a really good reason for doing so.

      It is hoped that members who upload to the Files section will include, in the
      labeling information on their post, the number of the message that prompted
      it. This is even more important in the pictures uploaded to the Photos
      section: Identify what message relates to these pictures. Even though you
      notified the group (if indeed you did) when you uploaded, there is no way
      that someone browsing the photos section now can know who you were or
      why you uploaded these pictures.

      5. Unsubscribing

      You can do so yourself with the click of a button. There is a substantial
      volume of subscribes and unsubscribes which the server processes
      automatically each week. Asking me to do it for you is a burden I don't
      want to accept, and in retaliation, I'll do the only thing I can do: make sure
      that you won't be able to resubscribe.

      5. A Final Word to the Members:

      The message board and archive is open to the public to read. The ability to
      post messages, to reply to messages, and to browse the Files and Photos
      sections is limited to you, the members. It's up to you to make the forum a
      useful one.

      We can help only by setting rules that might be helpful in that regard, and
      trying, as non-intrusively as we can, to see that they are followed. There is
      no guarantee that something we think is helpful now will always be so. And
      so the rules may evolve with time. But again, it's your job to make the
      forum one that helps you and the rest of us to get the most out our
      astronomical interests and investments.

      Gene Baraff December 30, 2002.
    • skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com