Best Orion EP And Barlow?

  • Rakna <Raknaman@charter.net>
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2003
      Okay need some help here. I don't wear glasses and own an Orion
      XT10. I've asked this before but still I'm lost as what to get. My
      scope came with the 9mm, 25mm and Shorty 2x Barlow. Now I want the
      best EP's and Barlow. I want clear views of planets. I want close
      up views as well. What should I buy?
    • HacTheSac10@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1, 2003
        You need to understand that the best EPs are determined by different factors by different people.  They can also be expensive and it can take years to 'finish' your collection.  Any EP can show you a good view, its just a matter of the extra things that can help make viewing more comfortable.  As far as good EPs go, it depends what you want.  Some people like wide field of views such as the TeleVue Naglers 82 degree Field Of View.  Others like me only want maybe 65 degrees.  Some people don't mind the 50 degree FOVs of the Plossls, such as the eyepieces you own.  Others would rather prefer long eye relief, or how close you have to put your eye to the eyepiece.  Some higher magnification EPs have smaller eye relief, such as Plossls.  Some have 20 mm of eye relief like the Orion Lanthanum's.  I know some Pentax eyepieces have it too.  And again, some people don't mind only a little eye relief.  Some EPs have better quality glass.  That's more expensive and for some, may not be worth it.  Others have many pieces of glass that may give you a wide field of view, but dim the image.  You need to see what you like, because some people hate what are considered 'the best EPs' by others.  Its not worth paying for something that you may not need in an EP because someone said they liked it.  You may not like it.  Determining that is a matter of testing out different EPs by borrowing a friend's or going to a local shop.  Some people don't have that luxury and are stuck with buying, then possibly having to return the EP.

        As far as barlows are concerned, TeleVue Powermates are considered some of the finest.  They are not truly barlows, but their is no need to discuss that here.  Powermates will give you some of the finest images available through a barlow.  Also, a great barlow such as the Powermate may not be necessary.  You can save some money and go with a good, but not great barlow.  I own the Ultrascopic Barlow by Orion and love it.  It will be better then most shorty barlows, such as the one you own.  Shorty barlows generally don't provide as good as images as full length barlows.  You also need to understand that better barlows have more glass and will dim images more.  They will increase image contrast and field of view though at the same time.  Its a matter of testing it out and seeing what you like.  Some people hate barlows because of the image dimming.  They'd rather buy a whole set of EPs.  If you do like barlows, go get one because it can save you a lot of money in buying other EPs.  You don't need to buy as many EPs then because of the additional magnification ranges you get with a barlow.  If you get a barlow, the rule is generally get one of the best ones you can afford, because they aren't real expensive and will effect almost all of your EPs.

        Hope this helps,
        Greg
      • Timothy Hickman
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 1, 2003
          Rakna,
          This question has been debated many times on this forum.
          I do not think I have added my 2 cents for a while so here goes....
          I where glasses as well and have tried a lot of eyepieces but when I want to see Jupiter or Saturn I use my University Optics 5mm ortho.
          It was 50 something dollars it has bad eye relief with my glasses on I can not see the full field of view but I can see all of Jupiter or Saturn and they are big, bright and sharp with nights of good seeing - occasionally with night of great seeing I use my 3.8mm eyepiece and nights of poor seeing I use my 6mm eyepiece.
          I find I use the most of all my eyepieces my 35mm 2 inch to find things and my 13 mm 2 inch wide angle for DSO's but my 5mm otho for planets.
          There are many other opinions and many find great pleasure with expensive eyepieces.  Part is what you can afford and what you plan to look at.
          Tim

          http://www.egroups.com/group/skyquest-telescopes

        • chris_in_mass <nicholl.cj@mellon.com>
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 1, 2003
            > I've asked this before but still I'm lost as what to get. My
            > scope came with the 9mm, 25mm and Shorty 2x Barlow. Now I want
            > the best EP's and Barlow. I want clear views of planets. I want
            > close up views as well. What should I buy?

            Rakna-
            I gave you a whole slew of suggestions a few days ago...did you read
            those responses?

            Tell us what your budget is, and we can probably make some more
            targeted suggestions for you.

            Chris Nicholl
          • Rakna <Raknaman@charter.net>
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 1, 2003
              --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "chris_in_mass > Rakna-
              > I gave you a whole slew of suggestions a few days ago...did you
              read
              > those responses?
              >
              > Tell us what your budget is, and we can probably make some more
              > targeted suggestions for you.
              >
              > Chris Nicholl

              Yes I read it. Did it help me....some. Everyone has a different
              opinion on EP's. I'm still kind of lost. I do now understand using
              an EP without a Barlow or a zoom type EP is favored as clearer with
              more light. While some prefer a Barlow or zoom as it saves them
              money on EP's and can double viewing power but, does not let as much
              light pass.

              All I really want to know is what are good EP's for the Orion XT10?
              All I want to do is veiw the planets with clarity! The only thing I
              have to compare any new EP with is my stock 9mm and 25mm that came
              witht my XT10. I'm kind of interested in buying EP's from Orion. So
              which ones of theirs is best for the XT10?
            • HacTheSac10@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
                Orion has good eyepieces.  If you want better, or great EPs, start looking elsewhere.  Orion is a bit expensive too.  Better EPs come from Meade (Series 4000 SW, UW), TeleVue (Nagler, Radian), and Pentax.  A good place to look at prices is astronomics.com.

                Again, you need to try to see what you want in an EP.  You need to narrow down what's important if you want a good suggestion.  The different specs that matter in EPs are: weight, # of glass elements (lenses), field of view (fov), price, warranty, eye relief, and barrel size (1.25" of 2").  You need to say for example, I need a low cost 7 mm 2" EP with good eye relief, but fov isn't important.

                Greg
              • donaudy <clydec@nyc.rr.com>
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
                  Rakna,

                  There comes a point when anymore advice and/ or hand holding is fruitless.
                  It really doesn't make a lot of sense to only want to use eyepieces from Orion,
                  though that is of course totally up to you. If you're seeking to see the planets
                  with clariy, get a couple of the Ultrascopics from Orion. These are basically
                  the same as the Celestron Ultimas which I know from experience are quite
                  sharp. If you got the 20mm, the 7.5 and the Ultrascopic Barlow you'd be set
                  nicely for the planets.

                  Time's a'wasting! The planets are steadily leaving.

                  Clyde

                  --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Rakna <Raknaman@c...>" <
                  Raknaman@c...> wrote:
                  > --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "chris_in_mass > Rakna-
                  > > I gave you a whole slew of suggestions a few days ago...did you
                  > read
                  > > those responses?
                  > >
                  > > Tell us what your budget is, and we can probably make some more
                  > > targeted suggestions for you.
                  > >
                  > > Chris Nicholl
                  >

                  > Yes I read it. Did it help me....some. Everyone has a different
                  > opinion on EP's. I'm still kind of lost. I do now understand using
                  > an EP without a Barlow or a zoom type EP is favored as clearer with
                  > more light. While some prefer a Barlow or zoom as it saves them
                  > money on EP's and can double viewing power but, does not let as much
                  > light pass.
                  >
                  > All I really want to know is what are good EP's for the Orion XT10?
                  > All I want to do is veiw the planets with clarity! The only thing I
                  > have to compare any new EP with is my stock 9mm and 25mm that came
                  > witht my XT10. I'm kind of interested in buying EP's from Orion. So
                  > which ones of theirs is best for the XT10?
                • Scott Lindstrom
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
                    Greetings all from a relatively new owner of an OPT XT10-clone!

                    I have been having a terrible time collimating this thing, but I think
                    the problem is in the 2-1.25 inch adapter being over-sized and allowing
                    eyepieces / chesire tool to "wiggle". OPT, fortunately is sending me a
                    new one. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

                    The problem I have is that even if I get the scope "collimated" using
                    the chesire (or a laser, for that matter), as soon as I go to tighten up
                    the three small non-collimation screws, the primary mirror moves and the
                    scope is back out of alignment. The three large collimation screws and
                    the locking screws move the mirror. That can't be right. Should I just
                    align the mirror, tighten the locking screws as tight as possible
                    without moving the mirror? This makes me somewhat nervous as the primary
                    won't be locked down during the drive to my observing site.

                    Your advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

                    Thanks!

                    Scott

                    PS - This cloudy, rainy, snowy, hazy cold crap is getting old real fast!
                  • Phil Lefever
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
                      >Greetings all from a relatively new owner of an OPT XT10-clone!
                      >
                      >I have been having a terrible time collimating this thing, but I think
                      >the problem is in the 2-1.25 inch adapter being over-sized and allowing
                      >eyepieces / chesire tool to "wiggle". OPT, fortunately is sending me a
                      >new one. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

                      The replacement tool may still have the same amount of play
                      as the one you have. This is a common problem. Sometimes
                      replacing the 2" to 1.25" adapter helps.

                      In any case you just collimate for the center of the slop.
                      When you think things are right rock the tool around and
                      see. Make a mental average and adjust accordingly.

                      >The problem I have is that even if I get the scope "collimated" using
                      >the chesire (or a laser, for that matter), as soon as I go to tighten up
                      >the three small non-collimation screws, the primary mirror moves and the
                      >scope is back out of alignment. The three large collimation screws and
                      >the locking screws move the mirror. That can't be right. Should I just
                      >align the mirror, tighten the locking screws as tight as possible
                      >without moving the mirror? This makes me somewhat nervous as the primary
                      >won't be locked down during the drive to my observing site.

                      This is fairly normal! Adjust the primary until it looks as
                      good as possible. Now go around to each of the lock screws
                      and start to snug them up a bit at a time in a circular
                      pattern. After you have just snugged each one recheck your
                      collimation. If all looks good snug them up a bit more if
                      not loosen the one lock screw and adjust the adjacent
                      adjustment knob. this is a successive game that becomes
                      much easier with practice.

                      Finally when tightening the lock screws finger tip snug is
                      all you ever want. Don't crank on them or you can distort the
                      metal cell the mirror is mounted in. The screwdriver slots in
                      the lock screws are for LOOSENING them only! Snug is all you
                      need to lock the collimation in place the best is can be.

                      Also be sure to at least test the collimation after moving
                      the scope to you observing site. In fact I would only bother
                      to collimate it after you are there and set up.

                      Clear Skies,

                      PL

                      Phil Lefever - Burnsville, MN
                      Amateur Radio Callsign - KB0NES EN34jt
                      C8-SP XT-10 C102 80WV
                      Member #13 MNAA - Minnesota Amateur Astronomers
                    • Rakna <Raknaman@charter.net>
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
                        --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, HacTheSac10@a... wrote:
                        > Again, you need to try to see what you want in an EP. You need to
                        narrow
                        > down what's important if you want a good suggestion.

                        How can I narrow it down anymore than I already have? I want to view
                        the planets up close and with clarity. That's it! I want to buy an
                        Orion EP's for my Orion XT10.
                      • Robert Bruce Thompson
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
                          What is the most you are willing to spend on a single eyepiece?

                          --
                          Robert Bruce Thompson
                          thompson@...
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
                            If you got the 20mm, the 7.5 and the Ultrascopic Barlow you'd be set
                            nicely for the planets.

                            Finally a good suggestion! What about the Orion Lanthanum series of
                            EP's? Or those new Orion HightLight Plossl EP's?
                          • Robert Bruce Thompson
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
                              Ah, no, not necessarily a good suggestion. Just a suggestion that
                              someone made because you aren't answering the questions that people are
                              asking in their attempts to help you choose wisely.

                              What people are trying to tell you is that you're going about this all
                              wrong.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
                                If the Orion Lanthanum are the same as the Vixen, and I think they are, they're
                                not as bright as the Ultima/Ultrascopic series, though the eye relief is more
                                comfortable.

                                I don't have any experience with the Highlight's or the Epic series.

                                If you have your heart set on Orion eyepieces and want clear, sharp views, I'd
                                go with the Ultrascopics. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to
                                limit yourself to the Orion line-up? A Pentax or Radian 14mm and a good
                                barlow would knock your eyes out on the planets. Plus the 14mm un-
                                barlowed would be a great all-purpose power for your scope.

                                Also a 7mm or 9mm UO ortho would give you excellent views of the planets
                                for about 60 bucks a pop.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
                                  --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "donaudy <clydec@n...>" >
                                  > If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to
                                  > limit yourself to the Orion line-up? EP's?

                                  Because I have a coupon for $10 off with them.
                                • Rakna <Raknaman@charter.net>
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 2, 2003
                                    --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bruce Thompson
                                    <thompson@t...> wrote:
                                    > What is the most you are willing to spend on a single eyepiece?

                                    I will spend a lot, if I can get clearer brighter views of planets.
                                    While my 25mm gives decent veiws, I have nothing to compare it to
                                    besides the 9mm (which sucks).
                                  • chris_in_mass <nicholl.cj@mellon.com>
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 3, 2003
                                      > > What is the most you are willing to spend on a single eyepiece?
                                      >

                                      > I will spend a lot, if I can get clearer brighter views of
                                      > planets.
                                      > While my 25mm gives decent veiws, I have nothing to compare it to
                                      > besides the 9mm (which sucks).

                                      If you're willing to spend "a lot" to get excellent planetary views,
                                      then I'd suggest putting the $10 Orion coupon aside for other
                                      accessories, and buying a 12mm Radian and Tele Vue 2x Powermate.

                                      Chris Nicholl
                                    • donaudy <clydec@nyc.rr.com>
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 3, 2003
                                        Rakna,

                                        $10?? LOL! I whole-heartedly agree with Chris. Put that coupon towards
                                        something else. You've been given a bunch of good suggestions, any of
                                        which will give you great views of the planets in your scope. Pull the trigger
                                        and start enjoying!

                                        Clyde

                                        nicholl.cj@m...>" <nicholl.cj@m...> wrote:
                                        > > > What is the most you are willing to spend on a single eyepiece?
                                        > >

                                        > > I will spend a lot, if I can get clearer brighter views of
                                        > > planets.
                                        > > While my 25mm gives decent veiws, I have nothing to compare it to
                                        > > besides the 9mm (which sucks).
                                        >
                                        > If you're willing to spend "a lot" to get excellent planetary views,
                                        > then I'd suggest putting the $10 Orion coupon aside for other
                                        > accessories, and buying a 12mm Radian and Tele Vue 2x Powermate.
                                        >
                                        > Chris Nicholl
                                      • Scott Lindstrom
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 3, 2003
                                          Phil,

                                          Thanks for the help for this newbie. Please bear with me on this.

                                          Not sure how well I can collimate based on mental averages "adjusted
                                          accordingly", but I think know what you mean. However, there is so much
                                          "slop" that using the laser and just rotating it / locking it down in
                                          different orientations can make the laser either point right on the
                                          center spot, or 1-1.5 center spot diameters away. That means the
                                          secondary would potentially need adjusting. Not sure how I would average
                                          those two adjustments. One seems to rely on the other. I'll wait for
                                          the time being on the new adapter and hope this solves that problem.

                                          Ok - new "problem". I get the thing collimated as best I can.
                                          Laser+Chesire used. They both pretty much say the optics are centered
                                          and life is great. I noticed something peculiar tonight. Stars,
                                          especially bright ones, have spikes coming out of one side of them. Low
                                          power (35mm / 25mm) or medium power (10mm), stock EP's (25mm) or Orion
                                          Ultrascopics (35mm / 10mm). Seemed to be oriented towards the "west" in
                                          my FOV. Visualize two spikes approximately 30-40 degrees apart with one
                                          spike bisecting the other two. After I center-marked my primary I was
                                          careful to ensure the primary wasn't being "pinched" by the clips for
                                          what that's worth.

                                          Now that I think of it. If I throw a star out of focus (in or out
                                          doesn't matter) it elongates to a "line". If I reverse the focus
                                          (outward of focus if I was previously inward of focus or vice-versa).
                                          the line's orientation "flips" 90 degrees.

                                          Something's not right, but I can't put my finger on it. Your help is
                                          appreciated.

                                          Thanks for your help!

                                          Clear Skies....finally!
                                          Scott
                                        • Rakna <Raknaman@charter.net>
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 3, 2003
                                            Chris,

                                            Thanks for the help. I'll use that coupon and buy either some EP
                                            filters or the laser collimator.

                                            Now where is a good place to buy what you suggested?
                                          • chris_in_mass <nicholl.cj@mellon.com>
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 4, 2003
                                              > Chris,
                                              >
                                              > Thanks for the help. I'll use that coupon and buy either some EP
                                              > filters or the laser collimator.
                                              >
                                              > Now where is a good place to buy what you suggested?

                                              Rakna-

                                              If you want to buy used, I'd go to Astromart. You can usually get a
                                              Radian, which costs $240+ shipping new, for about $185-190. I rarely
                                              buy anything new anymore, since the things I've purchased used have
                                              been such excellent values.

                                              http://www.astromart.com/

                                              If you prefer to buy new, then there are a large number of reputable
                                              dealers, and pricing is virtually the same. Anacortes, High Point
                                              Scientific and Astronomics are three that come to mind immediately.
                                              Phil Lefever on this list is also a Tele Vue dealer and would no
                                              doubt give you excellent advice and service; you may want to try him
                                              first. I don't know his website, but you can contact him through the
                                              Yahoo e-mail feature. Otherwise, the websites for Anacortes and High
                                              Point (Astronomics seems to be having server problems this morning)
                                              are:

                                              http://www.buytelescopes.com/
                                              http://www.highpointscientific.com/

                                              Good luck, let us know what you end up doing and, more importantly,
                                              how the views are through whatever you end up getting!

                                              Chris Nicholl
                                            • dropjaw13
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 24, 2003
                                                Well, I can see that I should have pursued this usergroup sooner. I
                                                just ordered the 7.5 Lanthanum and shorty APO barlow lens from
                                                Orion. If I had read this first, I would likely have ordered a used
                                                radian. I ordered the lanthanum based on the long eye relief and the
                                                fact that I thought I would get excellent images through it. Is it
                                                really that bad an eyepiece? In other words, how badly did I boo boo
                                                this time?
                                                I am very very amateur, but I wanted a little more clarity for
                                                saturn and jupiter. I figured that it won't be much use for the deep
                                                sky stuff.
                                                Also, what is an O111 filter? I keep seeing stuff about it. I
                                                want to go slow and not buy more stuff that I later find out was the
                                                wrong choice. What will help me see deep sky galaxies and nebulas
                                                best?

                                                Thanks
                                                Dropjaw13

                                                --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "chris_in_mass
                                                <nicholl.cj@m...>" <nicholl.cj@m...> wrote:
                                                > > Chris,
                                                > >
                                                > > Thanks for the help. I'll use that coupon and buy either some EP
                                                > > filters or the laser collimator.
                                                > >
                                                > > Now where is a good place to buy what you suggested?
                                                >
                                                > Rakna-
                                                >
                                                > If you want to buy used, I'd go to Astromart. You can usually get
                                                > Radian, which costs $240+ shipping new, for about $185-190. I
                                                rarely
                                                > buy anything new anymore, since the things I've purchased used have
                                                > been such excellent values.
                                                >
                                                > http://www.astromart.com/
                                                >
                                                > If you prefer to buy new, then there are a large number of
                                                reputable
                                                > dealers, and pricing is virtually the same. Anacortes, High Point
                                                > Scientific and Astronomics are three that come to mind
                                                immediately.
                                                > Phil Lefever on this list is also a Tele Vue dealer and would no
                                                > doubt give you excellent advice and service; you may want to try
                                                him
                                                > first. I don't know his website, but you can contact him through
                                                the
                                                > Yahoo e-mail feature. Otherwise, the websites for Anacortes and
                                                High
                                                > Point (Astronomics seems to be having server problems this morning)
                                                > are:
                                                >
                                                > http://www.buytelescopes.com/
                                                > http://www.highpointscientific.com/
                                                >
                                                > Good luck, let us know what you end up doing and, more importantly,
                                                > how the views are through whatever you end up getting!
                                                >
                                                > Chris Nicholl
                                              • starguide102mm
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 24, 2003
                                                  The lanth is NOT a bad eyepiece people have their opinions about them,
                                                  but that goes for EVERY eyepiece. I use them exclusivley, the vixen
                                                  branded ones, but still the same eyepiece. Try it I bet you'll like it
                                                  a lot. That said if you are going to buy another and you are
                                                  comeforatble i would segest teh Super wide lanth next time they are a
                                                  different league.

                                                  Joe Cartolano

                                                  --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "dropjaw13"

                                                • donaudy
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 24, 2003
                                                    Dropjaw,

                                                    I'll agree with Joe. The Lanthanum will give you good images. Is it as good
                                                    as a Radian or Pentax? No, but it's not junk either. I've used them both.

                                                    If I were you I wouldn't worry that much right now about an OIII filter. It's a very
                                                    narrow band filter that is tailored to very specific objects. The thing that will
                                                    best help you see the deep sky stuff better is practice and I don't mean that at
                                                    all in a snotty way. Grab your scope and your 7.5 when it arrives and just
                                                    jump in!

                                                    Clyde

                                                    > --- In skyquest-telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "dropjaw13"
                                                    > <carverhome@m...> wrote:
                                                    > > Well, I can see that I should have pursued this usergroup sooner. I
                                                    > > just ordered the 7.5 Lanthanum and shorty APO barlow lens from
                                                    > > Orion. If I had read this first, I would likely have ordered a used
                                                    > > radian. I ordered the lanthanum based on the long eye relief and the
                                                    > > fact that I thought I would get excellent images through it. Is it
                                                    > > really that bad an eyepiece? In other words, how badly did I boo boo
                                                    > > this time?
                                                    > > I am very very amateur, but I wanted a little more clarity for
                                                    > > saturn and jupiter. I figured that it won't be much use for the deep
                                                    > > sky stuff.
                                                    > > Also, what is an O111 filter? I keep seeing stuff about it. I
                                                    > > want to go slow and not buy more stuff that I later find out was the
                                                    > > wrong choice. What will help me see deep sky galaxies and nebulas
                                                    > > best?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Thanks
                                                    > > Dropjaw13

                                                  • Mike Martin
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 24, 2003
                                                      Speaking of eyepieces, I'm in the market for a used eyepiece (or maybe two!)
                                                      for my XT8 and wondered if anyone on the list had any for sale.

                                                      I'm looking for a 5mm or 6mm 1.25" eyepiece and a 2"' low power eyepiece.

                                                      Please contact me off-list.

                                                      Thanks,

                                                      Mike Martin AA9ZY EN52
                                                      Mt. Carroll, IL 61053