Close Approach For Upcoming 'Partial' Eclipse?

  • msmythii
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2005
      For the upcoming new Moon on SkyMap Pro version 9 there
      is a close approach between the Moon and the Sun of 14
      arcseconds. I have the lat/lon down to the nearest second.

      How well will SMP duplicate what the separation will be
      from NYC?

      Lat: 40°46'48.6"
      Long: -73°58'6.0"

      Thanks in advance.

      Ben
      Manhattan, NYC
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2005
        Hi Ben,

        SkyMap's accuracy is extremely high in things like this. The only real
        uncertainty is the Moon's "irregular" limb profile which SkyMap doesn't
        model. The basic position and the apparent size are correct to a fraction of
        an arc second.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2005
          To add to what I said previously, I must add a note of caution. What SkyMap
          shows on the MAP are the correct positions of the Sun and Moon as seen from
          your location. If that is showing a close approach, then that's accurate.

          However, you CANNOT use the "Event Finder" tool with the Moon. It uses
          geocentric positions which, in the case of the Moon, can be up to 1 degree
          (2 lunar diameters) different from the position you'll see it in in the sky
          from your location on the Earth's surface!

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9, 2005
            Chris,

            Thanks for the tips.

            Good to know when geo- and topocentric are being used.

            I look forward to photos of the near miss of the Moon
            'backlit' by the Sun's corona in H-alpha.

            Ben