Struve catalogue crossindex

  • Nigel Tasker
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
      Those old standbys, Burnham and Webb in their delightful handbooks
      frequently refer to stars only by their Struve reference (greek capital
      Sigma). I have Googled, Altavista'd and asked Jeeves in vain to find a
      cross-index which will link to any of the modern catalogues (SAO, etc).

      Plotting the Alt/Dec and then translating to 1850 or 1920 epoch to identify
      and find an individual star certainly takes the fun out of it, even with the
      aid of Skymap!

      I am sure there must be such an index out there, somewhere,
      somewhere.........

      Has anyone had more success?

      Nigel Tasker
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
          Many thanks, Chris.

          I have found the star databases chapter, but no mention of Struve. Since
          the SkyMap help index contains no entries for 'catalogues' or 'Struve', how
          should I have come across this nugget? - and are there any other hidden
          catalogues (Otto Struve, for instance, or Greek Beta (Burnham himself)?

          Nigel

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2004
              Howdy all;

              I hope that this will answer your question, this is a portion of the
              introduction to the Saguaro Astronomy Club Double Star Database, ver.
              2.1. This is a subset of the WDS and so these observers contributed
              to the pairs that are mentioned in the database. The entire database
              can be downloaded from the SAC site at saguaroastro.org and that zip
              file contain the documentation that has this list of observer
              shortened names.

              Hope that helps;
              Steve Coe

              A Aitken R.G. GLP Glasenapp S. PAN Pannuzzio R.
              AC Clark Alvan GRB Groombridge S. PLQ Paloque E.
              AG AG catalog GYL Goyal A.N. POL Pollock J.A.
              AGC Clark A.G. H Herschel W. POP Popovic G.
              ALD Alden H.L. HDO Harvard Obs. POU Pourteau A.
              ALI Ali A. HEI Heintz W.D. PRO Perth Obs.
              ARA Aravamudan S. HJ Herschel J. PTT Pettitt E.
              ARG Argelander F. HLD Holden E.S. PZ Piazzi G.
              B Bos W.H. van den HLM Holmes E. R Russell H.C.
              BAL Baillaud R. HO Hough G.W. RMK Rumker C.
              BAR Barnard E.E. HRG Hargrave L. ROE Roe E.D.
              BET Bertin B. HTG Hastings C.S. RST Rossiter R.A.
              BHA Bhaskaran T.P. HU Hussey W.L. S South J.
              BRD Bird F. HWE Howe H.A. SCJ Schjellerup H.
              BRT Barton S.G. I Innes R.T.A. SE Secchi A.
              BSO Brisbane Obs. J Jonckheere R. SEE See T.J.
              BU Burnham S.W. JC Jacob W.S. SEI Scheiner J.
              COO Cordoba Obs. JSP Jessup M.K. SHJ South & Herschel
              COU Couteau P. KNT Knott G. SKI Skinner A.N.
              CPO Cape Observatory KU Kustner F. SLR Sellors R.P.
              D Dembowski E. KUI Kuiper G.P. STF Struve F.G.W.
              DA Dawes W.R. L Lewis T. STG Struve G.
              DAW Dawson B.H. LAL Lalande F. de STI Stein J.
              DON Donner H.F. LAM Lamont J. von STN Stone O.
              DOO Doolittle E. LDS Luyten p.m. STT Struve O.
              DOR Dorpat Obs. LEO Leonard F.C. THE The P.S.
              DUN Dunlop J. LPO La Plata Obs. UPT
              ES Espin T.E. LV Leavenworth F. VOU Voute J.G.
              FIL Filipov M.L. MA Madler J.H. WAK Walker R.L.
              FIN Finsen W.S. MA Mason A.H. WEI Weisse M.
              FOX Fox P. MLB Milburn W. WG Wrigley R.W.
              GAL Gallo J. MLF Muller F. WHC Wilson H.C.
              GAN Anderson G. MLL Mitchell S.A. WNC Winnecke A.
              GAU Gauchet P.L. MLO Melbourne Obs. WNO Washington Obs.
              GCB Giacobini M. MLR Muller P. WOR Worley C.E.
              GLE Gale W.F. NZO New Zealand Obs. WRH Wilson R.H.
              GLI Gilliss J.M. OL Olivier C.P.

              > > I have found the star databases chapter, but no mention of
              Struve. Since
              > > the SkyMap help index contains no entries for 'catalogues'
              or 'Struve',
              > how
              > > should I have come across this nugget? - and are there any other
              hidden
              > > catalogues (Otto Struve, for instance, or Greek Beta (Burnham
              himself)?

              > The Washington Catalog of double stars uses standard "name list"
              > identifiers. Not being a double star observer myself, I'm afraid
              I'm not
              > really familiar with what these are, but presumably they are "well
              known" to
              > double star observers. Can anyone suggest a reference to them for
              Nigel?

              > Regards,
              >
              > Chris
            • Bamm Gabriana
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 13, 2004
                > The Washington Catalog of double stars uses standard "name list"
                > identifiers. Not being a double star observer myself, I'm afraid
                I'm not
                > really familiar with what these are, but presumably they are "well
                known" to

                Hi Chris!

                I'm just curious which areas of observation are you most interested
                in?

                Or are you the purely theoretical type like I hope to be? :)

                Clear Skies,

                Bamm
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 13, 2004
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 13, 2004
                    > I'm afraid I'm really not much of a practical observer; my main
                    interest is
                    > mathematical astronomy.
                    >
                    > I have some very good friends who are extremely keen observers, and
                    they
                    > occasionally drag me along kicking and screaming to look through a
                    > telescope - eg for last week's transit of Venus - but that's about
                    the limit
                    > of my practical astronomy, I'm afraid :-).

                    That's wonderful news for me. Mathematical astronomy is one of my
                    main interests, although my knowledge in it is somewhat small because
                    I am not a physicist. I was a Math major in college so I would
                    probably understand most of the algorithms.

                    Where did you learn these things? I'm making an "astronomical
                    calendar" for my astronomical society and the best I could do is use
                    skymap's event search for each object, finding mutual conjunctions
                    between the moon, planets, asteroids and zodiacal stars and save each
                    result as a table. I then wrote a short Perl script to parse each
                    table, add 8 hours to convert the times to philippine standard time,
                    arrange the items chronologically and display only those within a
                    given time period.

                    It is the part where I use event search over and over again which I
                    find so cumbersome. If I knew the formulas, then I could just write a
                    simple program that finds all events, loops through each object and
                    write out the calendar while I eat lunch.

                    Then I could tell my observer friends that my mathematical astronomy
                    produced something useful aside from those boring "celestial sphere"
                    lectures I give to our newer members.

                    Regards,
                    Bamm
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 13, 2004
                      > Where did you learn these things? I'm making an "astronomical
                      > calendar" for my astronomical society and the best I could do is use
                      > skymap's event search for each object, finding mutual conjunctions
                      > between the moon, planets, asteroids and zodiacal stars and save each
                      > result as a table. I then wrote a short Perl script to parse each
                      > table, add 8 hours to convert the times to philippine standard time,
                      > arrange the items chronologically and display only those within a
                      > given time period.

                      Far and away the best book on mathematical astronomy is "Astronomical
                      Algorithms" by Jean Meeus, published by Willmann-Bell. This really is the
                      "bible" for computational astronomy.

                    • Bamm Gabriana
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 13, 2004
                        > Far and away the best book on mathematical astronomy
                        is "Astronomical
                        > Algorithms" by Jean Meeus, published by Willmann-Bell. This really
                        is the
                        > "bible" for computational astronomy.

                        Thanks! It's probably not available locally, but I'll search the net
                        for it. I just hope I can afford it, shipping and all. :)

                        Bamm