minimal computer requirements question

  • Stu Ritter
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
      Chris,

      This question came up on another list I monitor.

      "How little computing power can I get away with for SMP8 and
      a NexStar11GPS? I want to spend the least amount of money possible."

      Any suggestions I can forward? The gent was outside the USA.

      thanks,

      Stu
    • Andrew Leighton
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
        Stu,

        I run v8 on a DX4/75 with just 16MB Ram under Win95 and it works just fine
        for me. Map draw time when zooming etc. is typically 1-5 sec depending on
        the number of objects being displayed. It used to be a lot slower but I've
        added a new faster hard drive which has speeded things up considerably.

        (Chris - I seem to recall you saying something about Win95 not being
        supported in future versions?)

        Clear skies - Andy
        --
        "I'm not suffering from insanity....... I'm enjoying every minute of it!"
        The Hardencroft Observatory: http://www.aleighton.clara.net/
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
          > I run v8 on a DX4/75 with just 16MB Ram under Win95 and it works just fine
          > for me. Map draw time when zooming etc. is typically 1-5 sec depending on
          > the number of objects being displayed. It used to be a lot slower but I've
          > added a new faster hard drive which has speeded things up considerably.
          >
          > (Chris - I seem to recall you saying something about Win95 not being
          > supported in future versions?)

          That's correct. Unfortunately the development tools I'm now using for SkyMap
          create programs which won't run on Windows 95. The system requirement for
          SMP9 will be Win98 or later. Any machine capable of running Win98 will do.

          Chris Marriott, SkyMap Software, UK
          e-mail: chris@... Web site: http://www.skymap.com
          Astronomy software written by astronomers, for astronomers
        • Stu Ritter
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
            Thank for the info folks. I'll pass it along.

            Stu
          • Ells Dutton
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
              Chris Marriott wrote:

              > The system requirement for
              > SMP9 will be Win98 or later. Any machine capable of running Win98 will do.

              Chris, Could you clarify. Lots of machines capable of running Win98 do not,
              i.e., will SMP9 run in Win95 if it is on a machine capable of running win98?

              Ells

            • chris@chrism.demon.co.uk
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
                edutton@... wrote:

                > Chris, Could you clarify. Lots of machines capable of running Win98 do not,
                > i.e., will SMP9 run in Win95 if it is on a machine capable of running win98?

                No. The "runtime" support files used by programs created by Microsoft's new "Visual Studio .NET" compiler require the presence of various system components not present on Windows 95. As a result, SkyMap Pro 9 will NOT run under Windows 95. I announced that this would be the case quite a while ago!

                Much as I regret to drop support for an operating system, there comes a point at which you have to move on in order to be able to take advantage of new technologies, and the number of Windows 95 machines is now very small, so I don't believe that this will affect many people. When I asked publically if this would cause anyone a problem several months ago, not one single person said that it would.

              • edutton
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
                  Chris,

                  Maybe people were reluctant to admit that they still were running Win95.
                  In any event, won't cause me any problems since I won't be upgrading
                  SMP for awhile. As much as I like SMP8, it will take more than the next
                  version to go through the hassle of a system upgrade. I'm an avid
                  amateur astronomer but only a casual PC user and have seen no other
                  reason for the system upgrade from Win95.

                  Ells

                  chris@... wrote:

                  > edutton@... wrote:
                  >
                  >>Chris, Could you clarify. Lots of machines capable of running Win98 do not,
                  >>i.e., will SMP9 run in Win95 if it is on a machine capable of running win98?
                  >>

                  > No. The "runtime" support files used by programs created by Microsoft's new "Visual Studio .NET" compiler require the presence of various system components not present on Windows 95. As a result, SkyMap Pro 9 will NOT run under Windows 95. I announced that this would be the case quite a while ago!
                  >
                  > Much as I regret to drop support for an operating system, there comes a point at which you have to move on in order to be able to take advantage of new technologies, and the number of Windows 95 machines is now very small, so I don't believe that this will affect many people. When I asked publically if this would cause anyone a problem several months ago, not one single person said that it would.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Chris

                • edutton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002