Re: Planet occultations

  • jllastro@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001
      The standard program used for predicting occultations is WinOccult.
      It will give all of the data need for lunar occultations of stars and
      planets as well as lunar graze occultations. It can also do
      predictions of stars by asteroids, but getting accurate predictions
      for these is a whole different animal. It is available for free on
      IOTA's web site, http://www.lunar-occultations.com/iota/iotandx.htm.
      You will also need to download DOS occult as well for it to work. It
      is a little complex to set up, but well worth it if you are serious
      about occultations.

      I will say that if all you need is an approximate time and position
      angle, Skymap is quite accurate, which I can't say the same for some
      other programs I have tried.