Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Logging Star Observations

Expand Messages
  • Ken Coates
    I m using SkyMap Pro 6.0.18 (Service Pack 3) I m having trouble with logging of double star observations. I have a target list of multiple stars that includes:
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2000
    • 0 Attachment
      I'm using SkyMap Pro 6.0.18 (Service Pack 3)

      I'm having trouble with logging of double star observations.

      I have a target list of multiple stars that includes:
      theta1 Ori
      I double click on the name in the target list and it brings up the "About"
      dialog for that star. I can click on the [Goto] button from that dialog and
      it goes to that star on the map just fine. But if I click on the [Log...]
      button and enter a log entry for it and then go back to the target list and
      click on [Update from Log], the observation doesn't show up. If I pick
      [Planning>Query] from the menu and list all observations, I can see the log
      entry in the list, but for some reason [Update from Log] isn't able to find
      the log entry and update the observed date on my target list.

      I tried it with a couple of other stars and it didn't work for those either.
      I wonder if this is a continuation of the naming problem with stars that I
      encountered earlier.

      I just tried something else, I changed the name from
      theta1 Ori
      in my target list to
      theta1 Orionis
      and then it found the observation. Maybe you need to use the same code that
      figures out that "theta1 Ori" is the same as "theta1 Orionis" in your
      [Update from Log] routine.

      Thanks,
      Ken Coates
    • Chris Marriott
      ... In order to interface with the log correctly, the star s name needs to be the same as that displayed in the title of the star s Info dialog. This means
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2000
      • 0 Attachment
        >I just tried something else, I changed the name from
        > theta1 Ori
        >in my target list to
        > theta1 Orionis
        >and then it found the observation. Maybe you need to use the same code that
        >figures out that "theta1 Ori" is the same as "theta1 Orionis" in your
        >[Update from Log] routine.


        In order to interface with the log correctly, the star's name needs to be
        the same as that displayed in the title of the star's "Info" dialog. This
        means that it must have the FULL constellation name.

        I've already changed this in the development version of the program so the
        target list looks up the "standard name" of any object before searching for
        it in the log, but unfortunately this isn't something it's feasible to
        "retro-fit" to SMP6 by means of a service pack.

        Chris
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------
        Chris Marriott, SkyMap Software, UK (chris@...)
        Visit our web site at http://www.skymap.com
        Astronomy software written by astronomers, for astronomers
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.