New target list

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2000
      This list has been extremely quiet recently - does nobody have anything to
      say about SkyMap?

      Just to let people know, a new target list containing objects from the
      constellation of Monoceros has been added to the "Night Sky Observer's
      Guide" target list archive on the web site; this was contributed by Jeff
      Gortatowsky.

      Chris Marriott, SkyMap Software, UK (chris@...)
      Visit our web site at http://www.skymap.com
      Astronomy software written by astronomers, for astronomers
    • HAAKE Philippe
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2000
        On Sun, 6 Feb 2000 11:07:40 -0000, you wrote:

        >From: "Chris Marriott" <chris@...>
        >
        >This list has been extremely quiet recently - does nobody have anything to
        >say about SkyMap?

        Yes, i have something to say about Skymap..... It is really a very
        nice software.... I use to have it for many years... and it is only
        since the last version, and since I took time to discover it, that I
        found the real power of it....

        One thing I would like to be add, is an easy way to backup all the
        important files to keep them or simply to put them on the main PC when
        you use a laptop for your log and observations......

        Would it be difficult to add these possibility to the menu????
        a another thing is to be able to save a chart like a metafile... it
        will be easier to use with a word or Publisher.

        And also to have one window where you could see graphicly the good day
        to make your observation in relation with the disturbance of the
        moon..... I mean to have a whole month at once.... I know we already
        have a window with the darkness hours.....

        So that's all for tonight.......
        Thanks again to Chris for all,,,,

        best greetings from Switzerland
        Phil
        Best Greetings From SWITZERLAND
        Phil
        ICQ 3128404
      • David M Moore
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2000
          >This list has been extremely quiet recently - does nobody have anything to
          >say about SkyMap?

          I would say you have a group of very happy people on your hands Chris!

          I do have one thing that I was going to email you about personally. The
          computer in my observatory has ver 6 installed. Since installing a few
          weeks ago some of the new target lists, a problem has developed. I admit to
          nonchalantly clicking around in those lists and now I can only bring up a
          very few DSO's on the main map, I have checked all the usual settings on
          the charts, DSO, and general preferences options for each map level to no
          avail. I have the sum total of three or four dso's appearing on my evening
          map now, when before I had all objects brighter than 8th mag appearing on
          map 2. Any offhand idea what the heck I screwed up?
          Also, thanks for the recommendation of a year ago on the Sky Commander
          DSC's. It is a fine piece of equipment and integrates well with Skymap.
          (even better when I have dso's on the map!!)

          Thanks
          Dave Moore
        • Ben Siemerink
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2000
            Hi Chris!

            Chris Marriott wrote:

            > This list has been extremely quiet recently - does nobody
            > have anything to
            > say about SkyMap?

            At the moment I'm not doing a lot of observing, because I'm
            studying telescopes and binoculars for my first buy. I saw
            that you're present on the sci.astro.amateur news group!

            Well, just wanted to say that I'm still here!

            Saludos, Ben.
            --
            Ben Siemerink
            Madrid, Spain.

          • Paul Withers
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2000
              At 03:07 AM 2/6/2000 , you wrote:
              >From: "Chris Marriott" <chris@...>
              >
              >This list has been extremely quiet recently - does nobody have anything to
              >say about SkyMap?

              This is what happens when you get this close to perfection!

              A few minor detail questions, perhaps some of these questions are a bit too
              detailed here? Feel free to respond directly if you wish.

              It would be nice to add ST7/8 type CCD patterns to the CCD rectangle
              patterns, any plans to do this? It would also be nice if the CCD pattern
              selection were persistent (i.e. the same choice(s) was the initial default
              when next opened) - its annoying to have to remember the CCD size each time.

              The LX200 offers two different response formats for RA and Dec queries,
              I've been told that very early LX200's don't support this though. One
              offers more numerical resolution than the other. From the performance of
              SMP6 it seems to indicate that you use the higher resolution, but reading
              the sample source code for the LX200 driver it indicates you use the lower
              resolution format. Which do you use?

              The sample driver (from the SMP website) is old, is this still compatible
              with SMP6? It states that you should use scope.dll v1.1, SMP6 has
              scope.dll v1.2 - any significant additions/changes? The sample driver is
              for Visual C++ v5, is there a VC++ v6 version? I tried it and VC++ v6
              generated a missing file error (i.e. res/lx200.rc2 missing). It seemed to
              be happy with just a blank file for this file, but I haven't actually run
              it, I only spent a couple of minutes on it before "real" work interrupted.

              I am looking to add a bit more functionality to the LX200 driver, but the
              calls into the driver are limited, I'm thinking of using the "Sync" call to
              open a dialog box with several selections available, with Sync as one of
              the choices (so that's not lost) - do you foresee any problems with this
              approach?

              It would be useful to obtain the Alt/Az position from within the driver, I
              could get this from the scope but this takes time, can I get it from a call
              back into the main programme in some way?

              If anyone else has "played" with writing drivers for SMP6 I'd appreciate
              any input.

              Paul Withers
              pwithers@...
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2000
                >I do have one thing that I was going to email you about personally. The
                >computer in my observatory has ver 6 installed. Since installing a few
                >weeks ago some of the new target lists, a problem has developed. I admit
                >nonchalantly clicking around in those lists and now I can only bring up a
                >very few DSO's on the main map, I have checked all the usual settings on
                >the charts, DSO, and general preferences options for each map level to no
                >avail. I have the sum total of three or four dso's appearing on my evening
                >map now, when before I had all objects brighter than 8th mag appearing on
                >map 2. Any offhand idea what the heck I screwed up?

                Sounds as though you've managed to mess up the level settings somehow!

                The easiest solution is to reset the program to its default settings. To do
                this, download:

                http://www.skymap.com/files/tools/smpreset.zip

                This is a little program which will reset SkyMap Pro 5 or 6 to its default
                "freshly installed" settings. Simply download, unzip, and run. The usage is
                self-evident.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 7, 2000