Re: Back after many years

  • mikeslng
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2013
      Hi Rob, and Welcome back.
      skyupdate is there I have used it and it worked great, back then. I had lost it when my old computer died. and was happy to see it listed. But when I tried to install it, my NORTON stoped the action reporting a virus ( WS.Repitation???) and delited it.
      And with the asteroid download location and fie extention changed it probable would not work anymore? Was a cool EZ way to add the comets and astreroid data, thanks for it.
      Mike

      --- In skymap@yahoogroups.com, "bullockbob666" <dung@...> wrote:

      > It's good to see this group still going. It has been 10 years since I was last here (only realised after seeing the little skyupdate app I created still there in the files section).
      >
      > As often happens with hobbies I lost interest for a while but have decided to get back into it again. To that end I have been looking around at the latest astronomy software and was surprised to see the same old "culprits", and nothing much new.
      >
      > And I guess I was also surprised to see that SkyMap hadn't continued to evolve either. Chris, what's up? Is there a new version in the pipeline?
      >
      > Cheers
      > Rob

    • bullockbob666
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
        Hi Mike

        Glad it was of some use. Not only do I have no clue on where the source code is I can't even remember how it worked, except that I wrote it in Delphi. If I had hard coded the URL of the asteroid section then I doubt it would work anymore.

        So tell me, is it just wishful thinking about SkyMap Pro v12?

        Cheers
        Rob

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
          Rob,

          Due to health issues I am not currently actively working on SkyMap.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
            Sorry to hear that Chris. Take care.

            Cheers
            Rob

          • ad371@xtra.co.nz
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
              That WS.Reputation message that Norton issues means that the file was not found in their users' community database, and so it has a low reputation and could be a risk. You can get it back by going into Norton and asking it restore the file from its Quarantine.

              http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2010-051308-1854-99

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 10, 2013
                OK, I restored skyupdate. I guess Norton does that because it don't know what it was. I works very well after I input the correct download url. Very cool, Thanks (ad)and bullockbob.
                Mike S.