Re: [skymap] Skymap pro 11 crashes

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2013
      Hi John,

      Programs don't just stop working all on their own :). Given that:

      1. You say you've downloaded a new asteroid catalogue.
      2. The asteroid link in the program is unquestionably broken.
      3. A broken asteroid catalogue WILL make the program hang up.

      it does seem reasonable to assume that this is the cause of your trouble. I
      suspect that you have not deleted the correct asteroid catalogue. Search
      your PC for any file called "asteroid" (with any extension) and delete it.

      If all else fails, uninstall the program, entirely delete the folder
      (probably "C:\Program Files\SkyMap Pro 11") that it will leave behind, and
      then reinstall.

      Chris

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2013
        Hi Chris

        You will have seen my reply to Kim. I deleted both the Comet and Asteroid .cat and I still get the notice. I have an identical copy on my observatory laptop which I will copy on to this desktop, after I have deleted the program. I have to go out now so I will let you know how it went later.

        Best wishes

        John

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/10393250@N06/

        > To: skymap@yahoogroups.com
        > From: chris@...
        > Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 11:13:44 +0000
        > Subject: Re: [skymap] Skymap pro 11 crashes
        >
        > The asteroid catalogue is the culprit, beyond a doubt. The asteroid link in
        > the program is broken, and will download nothing except an error file, which
        > crashes the program. Delete the asteroid catalogue, and all should be well.
        >
        > Chris

      • Peter Vasey
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2013
          Hi, John,

          Presumably you have the original disc(s). You might need to reinstall
          the program. At first try simply reinstalling over the existing
          installation. If that doesn't work, then uninstall and reinstall.

          That might mean you'll lose some of your settings. But you can copy the
          important user modified data files (such as Bkimage, Horizon, External
          Catalogs, Quick Catalog (subscript .qct), eyepiece.dat, frame.dat etc.)
          to another location and restore them after the reinstall.

          If the newly installed program still crashes you may have to uninstall
          again and search the registry to remove all references.

          If the programs runs correctly after the reinstall, restore your data
          files one at a time - maybe one of them is causing the problem.

          But a faulty asteroid file is usually the cause. And as previously
          reported there may be a dodgy copy in Virtual Store IF XP Pro (like
          Windows 7) uses such a system. Here is the text of a reply from Chris
          Marriott:

          "The problem you're seeing here is that when Windows 7 writes to the
          "Program Files" folder, it doesn't actually write there, but to a
          "shadow folder" which is actually at:

          C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\SkyMap Pro 11
          (where "XXX" is your user name).

          So the file you've edited is really in VirtualStore, but SkyMap is
          continuing to read the original.

          There are two solutions:

          1. Copy the file using Admin privileges - that way it really will go
          into the SkyMap folder, and not to VirtualStore.

          2. (Much easier!). Put the file somewhere else, and then use SkyMap's
          "open catalog" dialog to choose the new location for your asteroid catalog.

          Hope this helps,

          Chris"

          A even more permanent solution is to install Skymap in a different
          location, NOT in Program files or Program Files x86. I have mine in a
          folder 'Planetarium Programs' directly on my 'C' drive. And Windoze
          does not then use 'Virtual Store'.

          Just as a reminder, the original 'download' link for asteroid data no
          longer works. You need to:

          1. Download the "astorb.dat" asteroid catalog for Lowell Observatory
          (it's updated daily).
          2. Use the "astorb.exe" program in the "Files" area of the Skymap
          mailing list site to convert this to SkyMap format.

          Just use the first 1000 (or whatever you prefer) for the user
          asteroid.cat - there are over 330,000 asteroids in the full catalogue
          and it takes forever to load!

          Best of luck,

          Peter.

          http://www.madpc.co.uk/~peterv
          Approx. 55ºN, 2ºW (Northumberland, UK)

          On 01/02/2013 11:19, john hendry wrote:

          > Hi Kim
          >
          > I have now done that and it made no difference. Thanks for helping though, it has run perfectly for nearly 2 years on this XP pro machine. I have had Skymap 10 then 11 for at least 8 years, and this is the first time it has failed to work.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > John H
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/10393250@N06/
          >

          >> To: skymap@yahoogroups.com
          >> From: kimgowney@...
          >> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 11:04:18 +0000
          >> Subject: Re: [skymap] Skymap pro 11 crashes
          >>
          >> Try deleting the comet.cat and the asteroid.cat in the data folder, then
          >> try running the program, pretty often it is that one of these files has
          >> corrupted that causes the freeze up (at least, that is the case for me)
          >>
          >> You can download them again afterwards.
          >>
          >> Kim.
          >>

          >> On 01/02/2013 10:58, John wrote:
          >>>
          >>> Can anyone help here? When I start the program it displays the main
          >>> screen then freezes, and I have to use Ctr/Alt/Delete. I then used the
          >>> re-set program and it made no difference, except a windows notice
          >>> appears:-
          >>> Skymap32.exe has encountered a problem. Please tell Microsoft about
          >>> this. I click the button and the screen clears to leave the destop.
          >>> Any ideas? The only thing I have downloaded recently is the Asteroid
          >>> catalogue, but the program has worked since then.
          >>>
          >>> John H
        • john hendry
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2013
            Hi Chris

            I deleted the program and re-installed it from a copy on my observatory laptop, it is working fine now, just a few things to change.
            Thanks to all for their help, but still no idea why it packed in after all these years.

            Cheers

            John H
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/10393250@N06/

            > To: skymap@yahoogroups.com
            > From: chris@...
            > Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 11:13:44 +0000
            > Subject: Re: [skymap] Skymap pro 11 crashes
            >
            > The asteroid catalogue is the culprit, beyond a doubt. The asteroid link in
            > the program is broken, and will download nothing except an error file, which
            > crashes the program. Delete the asteroid catalogue, and all should be well.
            >
            > Chris

          • John
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
              Thanks Chris and everyone who helped restore the program. I have lost the VdB.sdc, does anyone know where I can pick it up?

              Cheers

              John H
            • Robert F Johnson
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013