Image scale Canon T3

  • Russ Brick
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2012
      Hi, Can anyone tell me the parameters to enter in to the "camera/ccd frame"
      dialog box in Skymap Pro 8
      to display the correct frame size for a Canon T3 using my Meade 8" LX-90 at
      prime focus and with 2" barlow?
      FL 2034
      FR 10

      Thanks
      Russ Brick

      Got Stars?

      All of us could take a lesson from the weather........
      It pays no attention to Criticism.

      Please delete my address before forwarding this to others and please delete the
      forwarding history, which includes my email address and others. It is a courtesy
      to me and others who may not wish to have their email address' sent all over the
      world. Erasing the history helps prevent spammers from mining addresses and
      prevents viruses from being propagated.
      Thanks.....

    • Alan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2012
        I don't know the math needed but have you taken any pictures with this
        setup?
        If not, do so.
        Using Skymap Pro and the photograph you should be able to "measure" the
        width and height in degrees-minutes-seconds and enter that in the dialog.

        ====================
        Looking Up,
        Alan, W4WMM
        30.69° N 88.24° W

[...]

        ---
        Virus Database (VPS): 120603-1, 06/03/2012
        Tested on: 6/3/2012 6:54:27 PM

        ---
        Virus Database (VPS): 120603-1, 06/03/2012
        Tested on: 6/3/2012 7:33:05 PM
      • john hendry
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2012
          Hi Russ

          Download Ron Wodaski's CCD calculator, free and perfect for the job, I've used it for years with Skymap pro.

          Cheers

          John H
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/10393250@N06/

          > To: skymap@yahoogroups.com; sjac@yahoogroups.com
          > From: lookingdeep8@...
          > Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 15:49:56 -0700
          > Subject: [skymap] Image scale Canon T3
          >
          > Hi, Can anyone tell me the parameters to enter in to the "camera/ccd frame"
          > dialog box in Skymap Pro 8
          > to display the correct frame size for a Canon T3 using my Meade 8" LX-90 at
          > prime focus and with 2" barlow?
          > FL 2034
          > FR 10
          >
          > Thanks
          > Russ Brick
          >
          > Got Stars?
          >
          > All of us could take a lesson from the weather........
          > It pays no attention to Criticism.
          >

          > Please delete my address before forwarding this to others and please delete the
          > forwarding history, which includes my email address and others. It is a courtesy
          > to me and others who may not wish to have their email address' sent all over the
          > world. Erasing the history helps prevent spammers from mining addresses and
          > prevents viruses from being propagated.
          > Thanks.....

        • Terry
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2012
            Russ

            I use SkymapPro 10 so SMP8 may be slightly different. With SMP10 I'd enter the chip size (22mm x 14.7 from the Canon USA specs) and the fl (2034) into the FOV calculator in the Frame Details dialogue. If SMP8 doesn't have this tool then your FOV is 37'11" wide by 24'51" high.

            Hope that helps (and is right!!)

            Terry Evans
            Somerset, UK

            --- In skymap@yahoogroups.com, Russ Brick <lookingdeep8@...> wrote:

            > Hi, Can anyone tell me the parameters to enter in to the "camera/ccd frame"
            > dialog box in Skymap Pro 8
            > to display the correct frame size for a Canon T3 using my Meade 8" LX-90 at
            > prime focus and with 2" barlow?
            > FL 2034
            > FR 10
            >
            > Thanks
            > Russ Brick
            >
            > Got Stars?
            >
            > All of us could take a lesson from the weather........
            > It pays no attention to Criticism.
            >

            > Please delete my address before forwarding this to others and please delete the
            > forwarding history, which includes my email address and others. It is a courtesy
            > to me and others who may not wish to have their email address' sent all over the
            > world. Erasing the history helps prevent spammers from mining addresses and
            > prevents viruses from being propagated.
            > Thanks.....

          • dennis_persyk
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2012
              Hello Russ,

              Chip size 22.3 x 14.9 mm
              Focal length 4068 mm

              You will have vignetting with that chip size and your effective focal ratio will be f/20, assuming you have a 2X Barlow. The focal length is an approximation, good to about 15%, because the focal length of your SCT varies with the setting of the focus knob.

              Clear skies,
              Dennis

              Igloo (now Roll-Off) Observatory http://users.foxvalley.net/~dpersyk/
              New Images http://users.foxvalley.net/~dpersyk/new.htm