Re: [skymap] Current asteroid elements in SkyMap format

  • Mark Crossley
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
      Mark

      Yes, I'm sure. BUT... Asteroid.cat and mpcorb.dat are different things.

      Asteroid.cat uses SMP internal format, mpcorb.dat is in the MPC format. so I
      have BOTH files in my data folder. You then tell SMP you want to use the
      "External MPCORB" data file in the Asteroid config dialog.

      I renamed asteroid.cat to check and SMP still displays asteroids from the
      MPCORB file.

      The Program Files thing is only relevant for Windows 7 - either change the
      permissions on the sMP folder, or install SMP to a folder outside the
      Program Files structure. (I'm still running XP on the machine I use in my
      Obs)

      Mark

      On 26 September 2010 13:47, Mark Hanning-Lee <markhl@...> wrote:

      > Mark, glad it is working for you. It is surprising that SMP Pro 11 can read
      > both; if you open each file with Notepad, MPCORB.DAT and the astro.cz file
      > have different formats.
      >
      > When you did this test, was the download definitely replacing the file that
      > SMP Pro 11 reads? You can tell by looking in the DATA sub-folder of the SMP
      > Pro 11 folder. Or was the download silently failing? I heard that some
      > versions of Windows treated the download request incorrectly if SMP Pro 11
      > was installed under C:\Program Files. I am definitely overwriting the old
      > file; I explicitly download and copy over the file DATA\asteroid.cat.
      >
      > Mark H
      >
      > --- On Sat, 9/25/10, Mark Crossley <mark@...<mark%40wilmslowastro.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > From: Mark Crossley <mark@... <mark%40wilmslowastro.com>>
      > Subject: Re: [skymap] Curent asteroid elements in SkyMap format
      > To: skymap@yahoogroups.com <skymap%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Date: Saturday, September 25, 2010, 3:30 PM
      >
      > I just downloaded the first 8.8MB of the uncompressed MPCORB.DAT file (up
      > number MP 45505), and SMP Pro 11 displays the contents on the map fine.
      >
      > I stopped SMP, and restarted, changed the Asteroid dialog to show them all,
      > and they were all plotted again OK.
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > On 25 September 2010 21:06, Mark Hanning-Lee <markhl@...<markhl%40prodigy.net>>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > By default, SkyMap Pro gets asteroid elements from
      > > http://www.astro.cz/mpcorb/SkyMap.CAT. However this file has not been
      > > updated since January 2010. You can see that by looking at the folder
      > > listing for http://www.astro.cz/mpcorb/. In fact, all the files in that
      > > folder are out of date � no updates since February 2010.
      > >
      > > The home page of MPCORB is
      > > http://www.minorplanetcenter.org/iau/MPCORB.html . On that page is a
      > link
      > > to the latest MPCORB.DAT. They also have the CR form of MPCORB.DAT. I
      > have
      > > tried all the versions. For the gzipped files, I extracted to the DATA
      > > folder and corrected the file name. If I read any of them into SkyMap
      > Pro
      > > 11, exit, and go back into the program, the software hangs up. It is not
      > > size issue; software hangs even if I download the first 1000 lines.
      > > MPCORB.DAT has a different format from the www.astro.cz file; there are
      > > many rows of text header and all the columns are different. The MPCORB
      > file
      > > DAILY.DAT does not contain all asteroids.
      > >
      > > Is there a site with a file of asteroid elements in the SkyMap Pro format
      > > that is kept current? Or is there a utility that I can use to convert
      > > MPCORB.DAT to SkyMap Pro format? Nick Thompson and Chris suggested I ask
      > > this mailing list.
      > >
      > > Thanks, Mark

    • Mark Hanning-Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
        Mark, thanks for the tip about external catalogs. I went to the Catalog tab of the Asteroids dialog and chose External MPCORB catalog. To test it I went to the Display tab and chose to display all asteroids brighter than magnitude 12. In SMP I went to Z (Zenith) view and saw a lot of asteroids.  So I am OK now!

        Mark H