Slow update with Intelliscope and ASCOM driver

  • bradshpw
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2 3:04 PM
      Speaking of ASCOM, I've got SMP11 11.0.6 on XP and an Orion
      Intelliscope XT12. It works but is VERY slow to update on the chart.
      Like I move the scope (even a small amount) and it takes 5 to 10
      seconds to update the position on the chart. I'm using ASCOM 4.1 and
      the new (April 07) Intelliscope module. The computer is an Acer 1.8
      GHz Centrino using XP Pro and a Keyspan USB to serial adapter.
      Changing the "tick" update rate in preferences > general seems to have
      no effect.

      If I use the ASCOM telescope simulator it all seems to work fine.
      When connected to the scope, it needs to have the reverse axis checked
      for it to move correctly. But without that checked it sort of moves
      diagonally, not just reversed. And it's not like a polar vs alt/az
      issue because the messed up motion doesn't correspond to north/south.

      But my primary concern is the speed issue. Anybody have any ideas?

      Thanks.

      Paul
    • chris@chrism.demon.co.uk
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2 11:31 PM
        Quoting bradshpw <bradshaw_pw@...>:

        > Speaking of ASCOM, I've got SMP11 11.0.6 on XP and an Orion
        > Intelliscope XT12. It works but is VERY slow to update on the chart.
        > Like I move the scope (even a small amount) and it takes 5 to 10
        > seconds to update the position on the chart. I'm using ASCOM 4.1 and
        > the new (April 07) Intelliscope module. The computer is an Acer 1.8
        > GHz Centrino using XP Pro and a Keyspan USB to serial adapter.
        > Changing the "tick" update rate in preferences > general seems to have
        > no effect.
        >
        > If I use the ASCOM telescope simulator it all seems to work fine.
        > When connected to the scope, it needs to have the reverse axis checked
        > for it to move correctly. But without that checked it sort of moves
        > diagonally, not just reversed. And it's not like a polar vs alt/az
        > issue because the messed up motion doesn't correspond to north/south.
        >
        > But my primary concern is the speed issue. Anybody have any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Paul

        It sounds as though the telescope is being very slow to respond to SkyMap's
        "where are you pointing?" requests, which are used to update the position of
        the telescope cursor on the chart. I'm afraid this is not a SkyMap issue, but
        one with either the device itself or the ASCOM driver.

      • bradshpw
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3 8:52 AM
          --- In skymap@yahoogroups.com, chris@... wrote:

          > Quoting bradshpw <bradshaw_pw@...>:
          >
          > > Speaking of ASCOM, I've got SMP11 11.0.6 on XP and an Orion
          > > Intelliscope XT12. It works but is VERY slow to update on the chart.
          > > Like I move the scope (even a small amount) and it takes 5 to 10
          > > seconds to update the position on the chart. I'm using ASCOM 4.1 and
          > > the new (April 07) Intelliscope module. The computer is an Acer 1.8
          > > GHz Centrino using XP Pro and a Keyspan USB to serial adapter.
          > > Changing the "tick" update rate in preferences > general seems to have
          > > no effect.
          > >
          > > If I use the ASCOM telescope simulator it all seems to work fine.
          > > When connected to the scope, it needs to have the reverse axis checked
          > > for it to move correctly. But without that checked it sort of moves
          > > diagonally, not just reversed. And it's not like a polar vs alt/az
          > > issue because the messed up motion doesn't correspond to north/south.
          > >
          > > But my primary concern is the speed issue. Anybody have any ideas?
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Paul
          > >

          > It sounds as though the telescope is being very slow to respond to
          SkyMap's
          > "where are you pointing?" requests, which are used to update the
          position of
          > the telescope cursor on the chart. I'm afraid this is not a SkyMap
          issue, but
          > one with either the device itself or the ASCOM driver.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Chris

          Chris,

          Yeah, that's what I suspected. Unfortunately Orion's technical
          support for the Intelliscope controller has been pretty poor, but I'll
          see if I can get anything from them.

          Luckily I actually prefer star hopping so this isn't that big a deal.

          Paul
        • Mark Crossley
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4 2:54 PM

            Paul

            If you really want to investigate this, then you can switch on the tracing
            option for ASCOM, this will show you time stamped records of everything sent
            to, and received from your telescope. This will show if the "scope" is
            responding slowly - note that some USB/Serial adapters can exhibit this
            behaviour too so it isn't conclusive :( If you have access to a different
            model/make of USB adapter, try giving that a whirl.

            Mark
          • bradshpw
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5 12:37 PM
              Mark,