Data Catalog

  • warbrickbob
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
      I have downloaded the Struve Double Star Cat from the Web Site.I am
      trying to install into SkyMap 11.In the External Data Cat box i have
      Clicked on Add,Copied and Pasted the Path to the File,but when i click
      Okay a message pops up saying Unable to Open File followed by the path
      to the file.Am i doing tis wrong.Thanks for any help.Robert
    • chris@chrism.demon.co.uk
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
        Quoting warbrickbob <warbrick@...>:

        > I have downloaded the Struve Double Star Cat from the Web Site.I am
        > trying to install into SkyMap 11.In the External Data Cat box i have
        > Clicked on Add,Copied and Pasted the Path to the File,but when i click
        > Okay a message pops up saying Unable to Open File followed by the path
        > to the file.Am i doing tis wrong.Thanks for any help.Robert

        Hi Bob,

        Is this a file with a ".sdc" extension? If so, it should work fine. If it's an
        older catalog with a ".sdd" extension, you need to "compile" it in the
        "DataPrep" tool before you can use it in SkyMap.

      • warbrickbob
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
          --- In skymap@yahoogroups.com, chris@... wrote:

          > Quoting warbrickbob <warbrick@...>:
          >
          > > I have downloaded the Struve Double Star Cat from the Web Site.I
          am
          > > trying to install into SkyMap 11.In the External Data Cat box i
          have
          > > Clicked on Add,Copied and Pasted the Path to the File,but when i
          click
          > > Okay a message pops up saying Unable to Open File followed by the
          path
          > > to the file.Am i doing tis wrong.Thanks for any help.Robert
          >
          > Hi Bob,
          >
          > Is this a file with a ".sdc" extension? If so, it should work fine.
          If it's an
          > older catalog with a ".sdd" extension, you need to "compile" it in
          the
          > "DataPrep" tool before you can use it in SkyMap.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Chris

          Chris there are two files in the folder i download one says Struve
          DAT File 597kbs and the other SkyMap Data Definition 1kb.Also Chris
          where do i find the DataPrep tool.Thanks Again.BoB
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2006
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 11, 2006
              > Chris there are two files in the folder i download one says Struve
              > DAT File 597kbs and the other SkyMap Data Definition 1kb.Also Chris
              > where do i find the DataPrep tool.Thanks Again.BoB

              It is one of the tools installed along with SkyMap. Go to the Windows
              "Start" menu and select "Programs", "SkyMap Pro 11", "Tools", "Data Catalog
              Preparation Tool".

              When you have DataPrep running, proceed as follows:

              1. Select "File/Open" and select the "sdd" file.
              2. Select "Operations/General".
              3. Click the "..." button alongside the "Data File" box and browse for the
              catalog data file (the ".dat" file).
              4. Click the "..." button alongside the "Record Length" field to compute the
              data length.
              5. Click "OK" to exit the dialog.
              6. Select the "Tools/Browse Data" menu item and make sure that the catalog
              look OK.
              7. Finally, click the "Tools/Compile" menu item to create the compiled
              ".sdc" file.

              Once you have the ".sdc" file you can load it into SkyMap as you were
              attempting to do before, and it should work.

              Chris sorry i am late in replying,due to work i had to dash of for a few days.Chris i am still having trouble doing this.would you mind if i E Mailed you with a couple of screenshots.if not i will try and explain on the forum.Thank You.BoB

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2006
                > Chris sorry i am late in replying,due to work i had to dash of for a few
                > days.Chris i am still having trouble doing this.would you mind if i E
                > Mailed you with a couple of screenshots.if not i will try and explain on
                > the forum.Thank You.BoB

                It would be better to do it on the forum. That way other people can probably
                help you out if I'm not around at the time.

              • warbrickbob
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 13, 2006
                  > > Chris sorry i am late in replying,due to work i had to dash of
                  for a few
                  > > days.Chris i am still having trouble doing this.would you mind if
                  i E
                  > > Mailed you with a couple of screenshots.if not i will try and
                  explain on
                  > > the forum.Thank You.BoB
                  >
                  > It would be better to do it on the forum. That way other people can
                  probably
                  > help you out if I'm not around at the time.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Chris

                  Chris i keep trying but am getting no where.I open the DataPrep Tool
                  press open,the Open box comes up there is one folder there named
                  Struve if i click on that the click open a message pops up
                  saying,File C.ProgramFile/SkyMap Pro 11/Tools/Struve dat is not a
                  SkyMap Data Definition File.I don't want to mess things up on this PC
                  its the one i use to controle my Scope.I will install SkyMap on my
                  old PC and have a go on that.Thank You.Robert
                • chris@chrism.demon.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 13, 2006
                    Quoting warbrickbob <warbrick@...>:

                    > Chris i keep trying but am getting no where.I open the DataPrep Tool
                    > press open,the Open box comes up there is one folder there named
                    > Struve if i click on that the click open a message pops up
                    > saying,File C.ProgramFile/SkyMap Pro 11/Tools/Struve dat is not a
                    > SkyMap Data Definition File.I don't want to mess things up on this PC
                    > its the one i use to controle my Scope.I will install SkyMap on my
                    > old PC and have a go on that.Thank You.Robert

                    You should have two files in the catalog zip file - a file with an ".sdd"
                    extension, and a file with a ".dat" extension. The "sdd" file is what you open
                    in "DataPrep" - it contains a description of the "layout" of the data; the
                    "dat" file is the actual data itself.

                    So, in DataPrep, select "File/Open" and then open the file with the "sdd"
                    extension.

                  • warbrickbob
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 13, 2006
                      --- In skymap@yahoogroups.com, chris@... wrote:

                      > Quoting warbrickbob <warbrick@...>:
                      >
                      > > Chris i keep trying but am getting no where.I open the DataPrep
                      Tool
                      > > press open,the Open box comes up there is one folder there named
                      > > Struve if i click on that the click open a message pops up
                      > > saying,File C.ProgramFile/SkyMap Pro 11/Tools/Struve dat is not a
                      > > SkyMap Data Definition File.I don't want to mess things up on
                      this PC
                      > > its the one i use to controle my Scope.I will install SkyMap on my
                      > > old PC and have a go on that.Thank You.Robert
                      >
                      > You should have two files in the catalog zip file - a file with
                      an ".sdd"
                      > extension, and a file with a ".dat" extension. The "sdd" file is
                      what you open
                      > in "DataPrep" - it contains a description of the "layout" of the
                      data; the
                      > "dat" file is the actual data itself.
                      >
                      > So, in DataPrep, select "File/Open" and then open the file with
                      the "sdd"
                      > extension.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Chris

                      Chris thank you managed to do it.It was my fault i was trying to
                      open the dat file,when i opened the "sdd" file everything was
                      straight forward,Thanks again Chris for all your help.BoB
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 13, 2006
                        > Chris thank you managed to do it.It was my fault i was trying to
                        > open the dat file,when i opened the "sdd" file everything was
                        > straight forward,Thanks again Chris for all your help.BoB

                        My pleasure!

                        All the best,