Re: [skymap] Finding components of SW3

  • Darren Jehan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2006
      Hopefully this will work now......

      OK, goto

      http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/MPEph/MPEph.html

      In the 2nd section, put the segments on separate lines (I did A thru to G,
      to be sure) and then select SkyMap and click the "Get Ephemerides" button.
      The segments should be in the form
      73P-A
      73P-B
      etc

      Download the elements.txt file, then open it, copy the text and paste it
      into the comet.dat file in the SMP Data directory, and there you go !

      Cheers

      Daz

    • AstronomyW4WMM@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2006
        I just followed these instructions and ran into a little problem.

        First I'm running Version 10.

        The ephemerides didn't come with mag info. I'll try again to see if that's
        correctable.

        The elements.txt file came with some weird spacing. First there were two
        extra spaces in front of the identifier "73" which didn't stop anything from
        working properly but did mess up the formatting of the "Search" dialog box.

        Then the spacing was missing some spaces between the name and the year.
        This kept the comet data from showing up in the Search Dialog. I added three
        spaces after counting the other comets and all is working now.

        I did check the box for "Skymap" but maybe I'm missing some other detail.

        Suggestions?

        In a message dated 10-May-06 7:20:45 A.M. Central America Standard T,
        gazers@... writes:

        Hopefully this will work now......

        OK, goto

        http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/MPEph/MPEph.html

        In the 2nd section, put the segments on separate lines (I did A thru to G,
        to be sure) and then select SkyMap and click the "Get Ephemerides" button.
        The segments should be in the form
        73P-A
        73P-B
        etc

        Download the elements.txt file, then open it, copy the text and paste it
        into the comet.dat file in the SMP Data directory, and there you go !

        Cheers

        Daz

      • Bill Gucfa
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2006
          I seem to have to put in the orbital elements manually in the comet
          dialogue. It's important not to skip a single number or the comet or
          fragments will end up in the wrong part of the sky. Even with the TT or
          date. If it says just SW3, it's just the C element.
          It's cool how the comet and fragments just pop onto the map after you
          get the numbers straight.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2006
            AstronomyW4WMM@... wrote:

            > I just followed these instructions and ran into a little problem.
            >
            > First I'm running Version 10.
            >
            > The ephemerides didn't come with mag info. I'll try again to see if that's
            > correctable.
            >
            > The elements.txt file came with some weird spacing. First there were two
            > extra spaces in front of the identifier "73" which didn't stop anything from
            > working properly but did mess up the formatting of the "Search" dialog box.
            >
            > Then the spacing was missing some spaces between the name and the year.
            > This kept the comet data from showing up in the Search Dialog. I added three
            > spaces after counting the other comets and all is working now.
            >
            > I did check the box for "Skymap" but maybe I'm missing some other detail.
            >
            > Suggestions?
            Have just redone this and you are correct, not sure what the issue is
            here. I'll drop them a mail later and see if they can help....
          • Kevin M. Koch
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2006
              Darren Jehan wrote:

              > Hopefully this will work now......
              >
              > OK, goto
              >
              > http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/MPEph/MPEph.html
              >
              > In the 2nd section, put the segments on separate lines (I did A thru to G,
              > to be sure) and then select SkyMap and click the "Get Ephemerides" button.
              > The segments should be in the form
              > 73P-A
              > 73P-B
              > etc
              >
              > Download the elements.txt file, then open it, copy the text and paste it
              > into the comet.dat file in the SMP Data directory, and there you go !
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Daz
              >
              > On 5/10/06, Bamm <bamm@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I noticed that SMP only shows one SW3. Which fragment is it? How do I
              > > find the other fragments? Is there an update to the comet catalog
              > > which includes the major components?
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Charting
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Charting&w1=Charting&w2=Science+toy+for+child&w3=Windows&w4=Science+kits&w5=Food+science&w6=Astronomy+gift&c=6&s=110&.sig=_PsZy5hDOx8fNWKnK6L3xA>
              > Science toy for child
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+toy+for+child&w1=Charting&w2=Science+toy+for+child&w3=Windows&w4=Science+kits&w5=Food+science&w6=Astronomy+gift&c=6&s=110&.sig=sCzOSJmgHZr2yPUMNETw7w>
              > Windows
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Windows&w1=Charting&w2=Science+toy+for+child&w3=Windows&w4=Science+kits&w5=Food+science&w6=Astronomy+gift&c=6&s=110&.sig=r24NS-9B_f9J3LQL9eyOdg>
              >
              > Science kits
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+kits&w1=Charting&w2=Science+toy+for+child&w3=Windows&w4=Science+kits&w5=Food+science&w6=Astronomy+gift&c=6&s=110&.sig=znPzZ1NgGE3FkkHGOdTJ6g>
              > Food science
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Food+science&w1=Charting&w2=Science+toy+for+child&w3=Windows&w4=Science+kits&w5=Food+science&w6=Astronomy+gift&c=6&s=110&.sig=IZulfvtOcXmaPEjvCVlfmg>
              > Astronomy gift
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Astronomy+gift&w1=Charting&w2=Science+toy+for+child&w3=Windows&w4=Science+kits&w5=Food+science&w6=Astronomy+gift&c=6&s=110&.sig=3v6aOGSZwmck9Ub-Dt4HFQ>

              Worked like a charm!! Thanks for your efforts and sharing your tlents.

              Kevin M. Koch
            • AstronomyW4WMM@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , May 11, 2006
                Tried it again today. It works now; except for one very, very minor
                cosmetic thing. Maybe it was done on purpose. The extra fragments have a couple of
                extra spaces in the first columns. Maybe this is done on purpose to offset
                the fragments from the primary piece; like placing tabs in a document.

                Nothing I can't handle, just thought I'd mention it.

                Thanks for info on how to add the fragments to SMP.