Surface Brightness

  • dick1912
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
      I'm sure there's an easy fix for this - but I can't seem to find it.
      When I print out a target list with Skymap 10, the column selected for
      surface brightness is blank, with no data. The other parameters, ie
      mag, size are fine. Any suggestions? Thanks,

      Rich
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        > I'm sure there's an easy fix for this - but I can't seem to find it.
        > When I print out a target list with Skymap 10, the column selected for
        > surface brightness is blank, with no data. The other parameters, ie
        > mag, size are fine. Any suggestions? Thanks,

        Hi Rich,

        Surface brightness is only calculated for galaxies, not for other types of
        object.

      • dick1912
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
          Chris,
          Yes, I'm aware of that. The information dialogue boxes (right click
          on object) include surface brightness, but I can't get any such data
          when building a target list or generating, for instance, unseen
          Herschel 400 objects.

          Rich

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
            Hi Rich,

            I'm going to be away at European AstroFest for the next couple of days; I'll
            look into this when I return home.

            > Yes, I'm aware of that. The information dialogue boxes (right click
            > on object) include surface brightness, but I can't get any such data
            > when building a target list or generating, for instance, unseen
            > Herschel 400 objects.
            >
            > Rich
            >> >

            >> Hi Rich,
            >>
            >> Surface brightness is only calculated for galaxies, not for other
            > types of
            >> object.
            >>
            >> Regards,
            >>
            >> Chris
            >>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • dick1912
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
              Thanks, Chris.
              Hope things go well in London.
              Rich

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
                Hi Rich,

                As promised, I've looked at this, and I'm afraid it just plain doesn't work.
                I changed the program a couple of versions ago in a way which has had the
                completely inadvertant effect of removing "Surface Brightness" from the
                target list report. You're the first person to report this.

                I can't do anything about it for SMP11 (the information is just not in the
                right place to be available for this report), but I'll try to make it
                reappear for SMP12.

                Sorry about that!

                >> I'm going to be away at European AstroFest for the next couple of
                > days; I'll
                >> look into this when I return home.
                >>
                >> Regards,
                >>
                >> Chris

              • dick1912
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
                  Chris,
                  Thanks for looking into it. I've been with Skymap through quite a
                  few versions and found the surface brightness data invaluable. Pity
                  it's not available - it's a key feature for me. I'll keep my eyes
                  open for version 12. I don't suppose it's something that can be
                  fixed by posting a "patch"?

                  All the best,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
                    > Thanks for looking into it. I've been with Skymap through quite a
                    > few versions and found the surface brightness data invaluable. Pity
                    > it's not available - it's a key feature for me. I'll keep my eyes
                    > open for version 12. I don't suppose it's something that can be
                    > fixed by posting a "patch"?

                    Unfortunately not.

                    Let me stress that it's only the target list report that this problem occurs
                    in - as you've said, the surface brightness data is there in the object
                    information dialogs.