Re: NASA's Tenth Planet

  • Bamm
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi,

      This is just my personal opinion, but I think we should wait until an
      official declaration from the IAU re-classifying 2003UB313 as a planet
      until we call it as such. Right now, the new object's classification
      is a KBO. The discoverers and their friends at NASA are proposing that
      it be named a planet because it is larger than Pluto, but the IAU has
      yet to make a decision.

      In the meantime, let's call it what is it - the largest KBO to be
      discovered to date.

      Have a nice day!

      Bamm

      --- In skymap@yahoogroups.com, therese hamilton <eastwest@s...> wrote:
      > Chris, are we going to be able to include NASA's 10th planet in
      > SkyMap? Pro and/or Lite?
      >
      > Therese
    • rgiroux_93003
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 5, 2005
        And if it turns out to be a planet, my friend suggests calling
        it "Goofy" due to its large orbital inclination. Plus, it goes well
        with "pluto".

        --- In skymap@yahoogroups.com, "Bamm" <bamm@a...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > This is just my personal opinion, but I think we should wait until
        an
        > official declaration from the IAU re-classifying 2003UB313 as a
        planet
        > until we call it as such. Right now, the new object's classification
        > is a KBO. The discoverers and their friends at NASA are proposing
        that
        > it be named a planet because it is larger than Pluto, but the IAU
        has
        > yet to make a decision.
        >
        > In the meantime, let's call it what is it - the largest KBO to be
        > discovered to date.
        >
        > Have a nice day!
        >
        > Bamm
        >
        > --- In skymap@yahoogroups.com, therese hamilton <eastwest@s...>
        wrote:
        > > Chris, are we going to be able to include NASA's 10th planet in
        > > SkyMap? Pro and/or Lite?
        > >
        > > Therese
      • Bamm
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 10, 2005
          LOL! Thanks for making me laugh. You just cheered me up in an
          otherwise average boring day.

          --- In skymap@yahoogroups.com, "rgiroux_93003" <rgiroux@J...> wrote:
          > And if it turns out to be a planet, my friend suggests calling
          > it "Goofy" due to its large orbital inclination. Plus, it goes well
          > with "pluto".
          >
          > --- In skymap@yahoogroups.com, "Bamm" <bamm@a...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > This is just my personal opinion, but I think we should wait until
          > an
          > > official declaration from the IAU re-classifying 2003UB313 as a
          > planet
          > > until we call it as such. Right now, the new object's classification
          > > is a KBO. The discoverers and their friends at NASA are proposing
          > that
          > > it be named a planet because it is larger than Pluto, but the IAU
          > has
          > > yet to make a decision.
          > >
          > > In the meantime, let's call it what is it - the largest KBO to be
          > > discovered to date.
          > >
          > > Have a nice day!
          > >
          > > Bamm
          > >
          > > --- In skymap@yahoogroups.com, therese hamilton <eastwest@s...>
          > wrote:
          > > > Chris, are we going to be able to include NASA's 10th planet in
          > > > SkyMap? Pro and/or Lite?
          > > >
          > > > Therese
        • starp1l0t
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
            Apologies if this has been asked already but what is the best way to
            temporarily 'add' this object so I know where it is in the sky?

            Is it already in an asteroid or comet catalog, or must I add an object
            to one of these catalogs and type in its orbital elements. If so, what
            element values should I enter?

            Regards,
            Andrew
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
              > Apologies if this has been asked already but what is the best way to
              > temporarily 'add' this object so I know where it is in the sky?
              >
              > Is it already in an asteroid or comet catalog, or must I add an object
              > to one of these catalogs and type in its orbital elements. If so, what
              > element values should I enter?
              >
              > Regards,
              > Andrew

              It moves extremely slowly. The easiest thing to do is to get the current
              ra/dec coordinates from the MPC, and add it at those coordinates using
              SkyMap's "Quick Catalog" facility.

            • starp1l0t
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 5, 2005
                Ah, okay.

                Cheers Chris,

                Andrew

                > > Apologies if this has been asked already but what is the best
                way to
                > > temporarily 'add' this object so I know where it is in the sky?
                > >
                > > Is it already in an asteroid or comet catalog, or must I add an
                object
                > > to one of these catalogs and type in its orbital elements. If
                so, what
                > > element values should I enter?
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Andrew
                > >

                > It moves extremely slowly. The easiest thing to do is to get the
                current
                > ra/dec coordinates from the MPC, and add it at those coordinates
                using
                > SkyMap's "Quick Catalog" facility.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Chris
              • Mark Thingy
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 6, 2005
                  Astorb.dat contains it (downloadable from the lowell
                  observatory site). Its a 20Mb download and takes an
                  absolute AGE for Skymap to digest when you point it at
                  the whole file.

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/1.XolB/TM