Re: installskydb

  • skylendar
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
      --- In skylendar@yahoogroups.com, "gjerte" <djevelunge@...> wrote:

      > Ok, I have it installed now - system user skylendar, postgres
      user,
      > database (also skylendar) with unicode (UTF-8) and plpgsql
      language.
      > Have two questions, though, and I think they are
      Skylendar-specific
      > enough to ask. If you think I should RTFM it would be very nice
      with
      > a hint on what manual.
      >
      > From where do I run skygrant?
      > I have tried to run it as root, superuser and whatever I could
      think
      > of, but I get the same message "/usr/bin/skygrant must be executed
      > as root !"
      >
      > I cant run installskydb either. I have modified the script as
      > suggested in the forum, but it still gives "pg_hba.conf not
      found !"
      > It would be really nice if you could have a look, heres the
      > modificated part with the correct path:
      >

      > elif [ -w /etc/postgresql/8.1/main/pg_hba.conf ]; then
      > export PGDATA=/etc/postgresql/8.1/main
      >
      > Thanks :)

      Normally, skygrant checks if the shell variable $UID = 0. Open a
      text console, login as root and do a: echo $UID . You'll see whether
      it's correct or not.

      As to installskydb. Get installskydb from the latest skylendar
      sources, and run: installskydb /etc/postgresql/8.1/main

      I can't ensure a seamless installation process for all the distros.
      Some users have maybe successfully installed sk for your distro, but
      they won't help neither of us. So...

      Regards,

      C.
    • gjerte
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2007
        --- In skylendar@yahoogroups.com, "skylendar" <skylendar@...> wrote:

        > --- In skylendar@yahoogroups.com, "gjerte" <djevelunge@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ok, I have it installed now - system user skylendar, postgres
        > user,
        > > database (also skylendar) with unicode (UTF-8) and plpgsql
        > language.
        > > Have two questions, though, and I think they are
        > Skylendar-specific
        > > enough to ask. If you think I should RTFM it would be very nice
        > with
        > > a hint on what manual.
        > >
        > > From where do I run skygrant?
        > > I have tried to run it as root, superuser and whatever I could
        > think
        > > of, but I get the same message "/usr/bin/skygrant must be executed
        > > as root !"
        > >
        > > I cant run installskydb either. I have modified the script as
        > > suggested in the forum, but it still gives "pg_hba.conf not
        > found !"
        > > It would be really nice if you could have a look, heres the
        > > modificated part with the correct path:
        > >

        > > elif [ -w /etc/postgresql/8.1/main/pg_hba.conf ]; then
        > > export PGDATA=/etc/postgresql/8.1/main
        > >
        > > Thanks :)
        > >

        > Normally, skygrant checks if the shell variable $UID = 0. Open a
        > text console, login as root and do a: echo $UID . You'll see whether
        > it's correct or not.
        >
        > As to installskydb. Get installskydb from the latest skylendar
        > sources, and run: installskydb /etc/postgresql/8.1/main
        >
        > I can't ensure a seamless installation process for all the distros.
        > Some users have maybe successfully installed sk for your distro, but
        > they won't help neither of us. So...
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > C.

        "echo $UID" returns 0

        I downloaded the source again. Replaced the installskydb files with
        the new (they appear to be the same as the ones I used), and got the
        same result.
        I draw the conclusion that installing on Debian is above my capabilities.

        Downloaded Mandriva 2008. It spends one and a half hour starting up
        before the pc dies. Older versions of Debian had the problem of not
        being able to run the fan on old Armada laptops - this may be case for
        Mandriva to. At least it has the apperance of a termal safety shutdown.

        The PCLinux, however seems to work fine. Which leads me to the
        temptation of trying an install of MiniME. It would be great if I
        could save some space on the 4 gig HD.

        Thank you for your help.
        Hail Eris.
        :)