Re: Collective answer

  • Freddy
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2007
      I would try to create an interface. Still I have never programmed a
      database interface before, so I could use some information about the
      functions skylendar needs and what they should do.
      If I get it to work on Ubuntu, I would as well create an Ubuntu
      package. Can you tell me on what distibutions skylendar does work?
      What gcc-version do you use? Perhaps this information could be
      helpful as well to get it running on Ubuntu.
      The Crash occurs when accessing the pointer returned by the method
      AstroString.Data() as far as I can see. If this works on other
      distros I'd say there could be some difference in handling between
      gcc 4.1.2 and other C-compilers (I will try this later) because I
      would not expect a changed postgres-behavior.

      Freddy
    • stnsls
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2007
        --- In skylendar@yahoogroups.com, "Freddy" <fraehttt@...> wrote:

        > I would try to create an interface. Still I have never programmed a
        > database interface before, so I could use some information about the
        > functions skylendar needs and what they should do.
        > If I get it to work on Ubuntu, I would as well create an Ubuntu
        > package. Can you tell me on what distibutions skylendar does work?
        > What gcc-version do you use? Perhaps this information could be
        > helpful as well to get it running on Ubuntu.
        > The Crash occurs when accessing the pointer returned by the method
        > AstroString.Data() as far as I can see. If this works on other
        > distros I'd say there could be some difference in handling between
        > gcc 4.1.2 and other C-compilers (I will try this later) because I
        > would not expect a changed postgres-behavior.
        >
        > Freddy

        Hello,
        I have sk running under Mandriva 2007:

        [meh@84-228-54-169 ~]$ gcc -v
        Using built-in specs.
        Target: i586-mandriva-linux-gnu
        Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib
        --with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
        --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release
        --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,fortran,objc,obj-c++,java
        --host=i586-mandriva-linux-gnu --with-cpu=generic --with-system-zlib
        --enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu
        --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-java-awt=gtk
        --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj-1.4.2.0/jre
        --enable-gtk-cairo --enable-ssp --disable-libssp
        Thread model: posix
        gcc version 4.1.1 20060724 (prerelease) (4.1.1-3mdk)

        I also had it on Slackware, long ago.

        I imagine that _maybe_ Kubuntu can compile sk. Simply because it has
        all the KDE stuff, and that sk needs it...

        Remember Ubuntu is based on Debian-UNSTABLE. I have found myself on
        some articles and blog posts stating that very WEIRD bugs suddenly pop
        out on Ubuntu, with no clear reasons. [End of troll :)]

        I wish you good luck anyway.....
      • skylendar
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2007
          Sk has been developed on Mandriva 2007. The installation should be
          therefore straightforward. Unfortunately, kubuntu uses a different
          security concept than a classical linux distro, i.e. no direct access
          to root. The installation script, installskydb, on the contrary, uses
          root. I haven't tried to modify it, since I don't have ubuntu/kubuntu.
          Who wants to do that ?

          Regards,

          Christophe
        • Forest
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 24, 2007
            I found this on forum.pcmech.com, after googling "ubuntu root":

            "Ubuntu's "sudo" approach might make sense for newbs in a gui
            environment but for an experienced *nix user in a server environment
            it's just a huge aggravation IMHO. If you want to be able to login as
            root you have to setup a root user password with:

            $ sudo passwd root
            [enter new root password]

            then you will be able to login as root."

            So, if this information is correct, it should be easy to tweak the
            ubuntu root account into behaving normally.

            Peace,
            Forest

            --- In skylendar@yahoogroups.com, "skylendar" <skylendar@...> wrote:

            > Sk has been developed on Mandriva 2007. The installation should be
            > therefore straightforward. Unfortunately, kubuntu uses a different
            > security concept than a classical linux distro, i.e. no direct access
            > to root. The installation script, installskydb, on the contrary, uses
            > root. I haven't tried to modify it, since I don't have ubuntu/kubuntu.
            > Who wants to do that ?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Christophe

          • C.G.
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 26, 2007
              --- Forest <forest_oakwater@...> wrote:

              > I found this on forum.pcmech.com, after googling
              > "ubuntu root":
              >
              > "Ubuntu's "sudo" approach might make sense for newbs
              > in a gui
              > environment but for an experienced *nix user in a
              > server environment
              > it's just a huge aggravation IMHO. If you want to be
              > able to login as
              > root you have to setup a root user password with:
              >
              > $ sudo passwd root
              > [enter new root password]
              >
              > then you will be able to login as root."
              >
              > So, if this information is correct, it should be
              > easy to tweak the
              > ubuntu root account into behaving normally.
              >
              > Peace,
              > Forest
              >
              > --- In skylendar@yahoogroups.com, "skylendar"
              > <skylendar@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Sk has been developed on Mandriva 2007. The
              > installation should be
              > > therefore straightforward. Unfortunately, kubuntu
              > uses a different
              > > security concept than a classical linux distro,
              > i.e. no direct access
              > > to root. The installation script, installskydb, on
              > the contrary, uses
              > > root. I haven't tried to modify it, since I don't
              > have ubuntu/kubuntu.
              > > Who wants to do that ?
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > Christophe

              Did you succeed in instzalling sk on Ubuntu ?

              Get your own web address.
            • Forest
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 26, 2007
                C.G wrote:
                > Did you succeed in instzalling sk on Ubuntu ?

                No, I'm running Suse 10.1. I haven't tried installing Skylendar yet.
                The Postgresql database piece might be daunting, I want to wait until
                I have a good-sized chunk of time to tackle it.

                The reason I posted the sudo tweak for Ubuntu is because I saw
                another post where someone said they had trouble installing Skylendar
                on Ubuntu because Ubuntu doesn't allow users direct access to the
                root account. I thought the tweak might help them.

                Peace,
                Forest