Let's Get Started!

  • sandyw2410
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2010
      Hi, everyone!

      I hope all your New Year's are starting out with as much promise and enthusiasm as mine. I've tried to set a goal for myself in this group.

      I'll be trying to go through two chapters of Kate's book, the Sierra Club Guide to Sketching in Nature, each week. Although, I know from past experience, that sometimes she packs so much information in a chapter this may not be possible.

      Ahhhh. . . There's nothing like the feeling of opening up a brand new sketchbook. So many possibilities! And I cant wait to try out my unsullied "black grape" colored pencil, my Pitt pens and my new water brush (it just arrived yesterday).

      I'm also SO looking forward to checking into our flickr pool to see what everyone is doing. I'm sure I'll learn as much from your sketches and experiences as I will from Kate's book. If you can, please send a note to the group with the URL of your new posts.

      And Timaree had such a wonderful idea. If at all possible, have someone snap a photo of you where you've chosen to sketch and share it with the group. I for one would love to see the current environment where you live, weather conditions, terrain, etc.

      Personally, I know that I won't be fighting the cold for every sketch. On occasion I plan to work from a photo -- maybe something in Hawaii. I know that's not "sticking to the book" but I want to love my new sketchbook -- not see it as a precursor to blue fingers. I also have an area in the house cleared out so I can drag in some interesting fallen branches to thaw out before I sketch them.

      So. . . Callie (who dearly loves the snow) and I will be heading out this weekend for our first winter sketching adventure. See you on flick!

      Sandy in Michigan
    • Malinda Welte
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2010
        I just got one copy Paula.

        Happy New Year!!  I'm ready to go, too.  Having a "Spa Day" for my pens this morning; cleaning, filling, preening, petting, oh... ;)  Then I'll settle in front of the Rose Parade and watch and read!  My goal is 1 chapter a week, so far, posting to my blog and will include links in my emails.  I'm also doing a Photo-a-Day blog project this year, in honor of my new camera.  I'll have all the images on Flickr and links in my signature!

        Blessings!
        Malinda Welte
        mwelte@...

        "Let the beauty we love be what we do."   --Rumi

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/mweltephoto/  Flickr Photos
        http://sylverwyngstables.weebly.com  Sylverwyng Stables' New Home
        Sent: Friday, January 01, 2010 9:12 AM
        Subject: Re: [sketchinginnature-group] Let's Get Started!

        I noticed when I just replied to all that sketchinginnature- group@yahoogroup s.com showed up twice in the "to" field. Did you all receive it twice? I'm deleting one address this time. Wonder why that happened?

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2010

          • soundofwings2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2010
              Malinda,

              I'm looking forward to seeing both your sketches and photos!

              Sandy in Michigan
            • user user
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2010
                Yay, you are ready to go!  I am getting there.  I'll try to get my husband to take a picture of me outdoors with pad and pencil.  I'll be working from my desert home mostly but sometimes I get to southern California where the terrain is different and I can actually find flowers and trees!

                Timaree
                Have a beautiful day!

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2010
                  Timaree,

                  I actually got my sketch kit together today and ventured forth into the real world.  Today my "real world" consists of snow, snow and more snow.  My sketch kit consisted of a brand new moleskine sketchbook, a Nexus black ink pen, a small plastic tarp to drape over a chair I had to brush the snow from and Callie.

                  IT WAS WONDERFUL!  I hadn't just sat outside on a snowy day in ages.  I had that feeling of being in complete solitude, although I wasn't more than 350 feet from my house.  Callie just wandered about staring at me quizzically, but content to just be out with me in the snow.

                  Unfortunately, I had to interrupt my sketching after about ten minutes.  I don't know if the snowflakes on the paper got caught in my pen or if the cold started freezing up the nib.  The pen started getting scratchy and the ink blobbed a bit along the edge of one of the trees I was trying to draw.  But, I actually got quite a bit done in those ten minutes, and after another sitting tomorrow I should have enough down to bring the drawing inside and add a little color from memory.

                  Can't wait to see those cows!  And the desert landscape is so beautiful -- it will be quite a combination.

                  Sandy in Michigan
                • Karen

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 1, 2010
                      Karen,

                      I hope it turns out OK after being a little soggy -- I'll post it as soon as its done, whether it turns out or not.

                      Sandy in Michigan
                    • P.Raudenbush
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 1, 2010
                        Hi ya'll. I posted a page of sketches of the squirrels in my yard today. I also posted a photo of the one who wanted in...
                        I'm going to try to do a sketch each day if I can.

                        I hope it turns out OK after being a little soggy -- I'll post it as soon as its done, whether it turns out or not.

                        Sandy in Michigan

                      • J G VICKERS
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 1, 2010
                          Looks like we are off and posting!  Happy New Year Guys!

                          Connie
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/scooterburger/
                          http://connie-askbelievereceive.blogspot.com/