NPR TODAY/FOX FAMILY EXPLORING THE UNKNOWN PREMIERE

  • Joe Needham
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 1999
      NPR TODAY
      Today from 12-1pm PST and 3-4pm EST NPR's "Talk of the Nation" will be
      featuring a full hour devoted to my new book, HOW WE BELIEVE: The Search for
      God in an Age of Science. I was originally suppose to appear alone but the
      producers got nervous about that and booked another guest from the Christian
      organization Reasons to Believe. Given what happened to Jesse Ventura after
      he dared to speak his mind about religion (his ratings plummeted a full 12
      points and he was asked to resign from his party) I suppose this is
      inevitable.

      FOX FAMILY EXPLORING THE UNKNOWN PREMIERE
      Tomorrow night, Tuesday October 5, from 10-11pm (but check your local
      listings for the time) Fox Family will premiere my new television series,
      EXPLORING THE UNKNOWN, hosted by myself and X-Files' Mitch Pileggi. The pilot
      features:

      --a segment on FIREWALKING in which I traipse across 1,000-degree hot coals
      barefoot without getting burned (and without chanting or thinking positive
      thoughts--in fact, I was rather nervous);

      --a segment on PSYCHIC READINGS in which we set up mentalist and magician
      Mark Edward at a mall to do psychic readings on people--he was brilliant at
      it and everyone was convinced he was the real thing, until he disclosed that
      it was all a trick--wait until you see their faces drop!;

      --a segment on OUT OF BODY EXPERIENCES and other mind bending phenomena in
      which we travel to Michael Persinger's lab at Laurentian University in
      Sudbury, Canada, and I get strapped into his electromagnetic helmet to
      experience some weird mental states generated by his computer;

      --a segment on PSYCHIC SURGERY in which the Amazing Randi exposes how this
      old canard is done with sleight of hand;

      --a segment on the alleged NASA UFO sighting from the Space Shuttle;

      --very short segments on the face on Mars exposed as nothing more than a
      random pattern of rock formations, a biomagnetic family (where irons and
      spoons magically stick to skin), and 0faked fairy photos.

      Enjoy an entire show with a VERY strong skeptical perspective. In fact, where
      I occasionally thought we should be a bit conciliatory, the Fox Family
      network folks pushed us to be even STRONGER on the skeptical perspective.
      How's that for a change of pace??!!

      Michael Shermer
      Publisher
      -----------------------------------
      Copyright 1999 by Michael Shermer and the Skeptics Society. Copies of this
      internet posting may be made and distributed in whole without further
      permission. Credit: This has been another edition of SkepticMag Hotline, the
      internet edition of Skeptic magazine and the cyberspace voice of the Skeptics
      Society. For further information about the magazine and society, contact P.O.
      Box 338, Altadena, CA 91001; 626/794-3119 (phone); 626/794-1301 (fax);
      skepticmag@... and www.skeptic.com or send your message telepathically
      and we will respond in kind.

      For those of your not familiar with the Skeptics Society or have not seen
      Skeptic magazine, see our web page: www.skeptic.com

      ---
      You are currently subscribed to skeptics as: [jneedham@...]
      If this message was forwarded from a friend and you'd like to join
      the distribution list (it's FREE), e-mail join-skeptics@...