skeptic email list 7/31/98

  • Eric Krieg
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 8:34 PM
      Hi folks,

      The skeptic with the greatest publicity in the world has been
      the irascible, unstoppable James Randi. What's amazing about him
      is the long list of people who just absolutely hate the guy. In
      my conversation with world wide paranormal believers, I meet
      frequent people who just totally slam old James Randi. I think
      he's one of the coolest people alive - but make up your own
      mind. Here's his latest humorous email list post:

      best wishes,
      Eric Krieg eric@...

      sign up for some of my email lists from:
      http://www.voicenet.com/~eric/more.htm
      ===========================

      From:
      James Randi --- Wizard <JREFInfo@...>

      23:09

      Subject:
      All is solved....!
      To:
      broadcast-JREFInfo@...

      Just when we were perhaps beginning to despair about peace-on-Earth,
      comes this assurance that all will be well in just two weeks. Whew!
      What a relief!

      Yes, friends, on August 15th, at 2 pm GMT, the "Starseed" groups all
      over the world will give out a minute of silent prayer to bring about
      world peace. This is being coordinated by the Seed of Life
      Foundation and the Brahma Kumaris (?) and is in celebration of "the
      birth of Krishna and the coming together of the Christ consciousness."
      We're assured that a "vision of world peace will dawn in the heart of
      human beings" right at that moment.

      You see, it all started last autumn when the unsinkable Uri Geller
      (remember him?) gave a demonstration at the Royal Albert Hall in
      London, and brought back the sprouting-seed number. It's a
      crowd-pleaser, indeed

      I do this trick by having some radish or mustard seeds poured into the
      hand of a spectator, then I reveal that one or two of the seeds are
      sprouted, and I gradually move away the other seeds so that one sprout
      seems to develop. It's an old trick, mentioned in a similar form by
      Madame Blavatsky when she visited India. Mr. Geller, however, does
      his demonstration by genuine supernatural means, he tells us. To me,
      that seems to be the hard way. By simply moistening the seeds about 8
      hours earlier, you can get them to sprout, and then poke them about
      until you've talked the audience into believing that they sprouted
      there and then. It's pretty easy, by trickery. But I'm sure that the
      real miracle requires clean living and great devotion.

      In any case, all sorts of devout folks will be begging some deity or
      other to bring about world peace on August 15th. I suspect, having
      lived through many, many, of these events, that warring religious
      factions will not even notice this event, will continue to slaughter
      one another in the true spirit of vengeance and racial purity, and
      blood will flow at about the same rate.

      I hope I'm wrong, but I think I'm right. We'll see. As always, I'm
      willing to be shown. The Maharishi Mahesh Yogi promised us all this,
      decades ago, but he hasn't even been able to get his "Vedaland"
      amusement park built, though hundreds of people all over the world
      have invested millions in that scheme. And, come to think of it,
      former magician Doug Henning still hasn't managed to levitate himself,
      a miracle he promised to show me decades ago. The Maharishi was
      giving him personal lessons, too. . E . !

      Next week, the Media, Myth, and Magic conference. Hope to see many of
      you there. You can still call 1-888-USA-JREF toll-free to make
      reservations and get the great hotel rates....

      Randi

      CONTACTING RANDI
      James Randi Educational Foundation phone: +1 954 467 1112
      201 SE Davie Boulevard fax: +1 954 467 1660
      Fort Lauderdale FL 33316-1815 http://www.randi.org
      U.S.A.

      General questions: randi@...

      Mail directly to Randi: JamesRandi@...

      BACK ISSUES OF THE HOTLINE:
      <http://www.mindspring.com/~anson/randi-hotline/>
      <ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/an/anson/Mailing_Lists/geller-hotline>
      <ftp://ftp.ssr.com/Randi>

      ftp.ssr.com is the home of the hotline, but we are very over loaded,
      so please try the other sites first. European users please try:

      <ftp://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pub/Randi>

      Thanks to Anson Kennedy and Massimo Macucci for providing the ftp
      sites at netcom and unipi.it.