discussion format for skeptic group meetings

  • Thomas Robertson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 1999
      Our local skeptic group has been searching for a discussion format for its
      meetings. At first, anyone who could get his or foot in the door was
      allowed to speak. This resulted in domination on the part of a vociferous
      few.

      Recently, we appointed an official to keep a list of those who want to
      speak. A person wishing to be on that list silently raises a hand, and the
      official nods to indicate that the person's hand was acknowledged. The
      disadvantage here is that the person's comment may no longer be immediately
      relevant by the time we arrive at the person's name on the list.

      We have been looking for a model, but we can't find one. How about
      university classes? No good. There is little to discuss, because most of
      the students are only interested in right answers to write down on the next
      exam. When a student raises a hand, it's usually to ask about the next exam.

      Sunday School? Are you kidding! The usual topic is on how nice it is to
      be nice. How much discussion can you create about that?

      Business meetings? Hardly! How much discussion can you create about
      "yes, sir"?

      If any of you have found a satisfactory discussion format for skeptic group
      meetings, please write back.

      Thomas Robertson
      FUN MUSIC IDEAS http://www.funmusicideas.com
      PENTATONIC MUSIC COLLECTION http://www.pentatonika.com
    • Eric Krieg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 1999
        Thomas Robertson wrote:

        > From: Thomas Robertson <pentatonika@...>
        >
        > Our local skeptic group has been searching for a discussion format for its
        > meetings. At first, anyone who could get his or foot in the door was
        > allowed to speak. This resulted in domination on the part of a vociferous
        > few.

        Thomas,

        we have a number of members who have spoken, we also have gotten local
        professors, we had a symposium of media representatives, I just gave a
        talk on nut cases in cyberspace. We also have had some proponents of
        fringe theories. Another idea is to have an open discussion forum. I
        agree that business stuff is boring. It still is hard to keep finding
        interesting things. The following url gives our past meetings:
        http://www.phact.org/phact/meetings.html
        --

        Eric Krieg eric@...

        http://www.phact.org/e/more.htm