Re: skeptics - believer dialog

  • Eric Krieg
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 1998
      Dr Ann wrote:

      > Dear Eric: I hve been reading your internet stuff - VERY interesting.
      > I must tell you that BECAUSE I can do alot of these things, that I am a
      > huge sceptic. I really do not trust anyone - not even me!. I do not
      > know HOW i do these things - healing, channeling, dogtalk, dowsing, etc.
      > I only know that I get positive feedback from those people and animals I
      > touch. No one is more surprised than I when something works.
      > Perhaps you could talk to that point? I did read somewhere, just
      > recently, that they "proved" that when there are negative people in the
      > room, then nothing works. I don't know about that, but I DO know that I
      > have to feel good in my surroundings before I will even try. That is
      > why I have been experimenting with the web. I am working with an animal
      > behaviourist over the net - she is in England. We have had 2 success!!!
      > I haven't a clue how this worked, but she reported amazing changes in
      > the dogs. Best wishes. Dr. Ann

      Dr Ann,

      Thanks for your response. In many paranormal forums, I hear people who
      believe because of experiential evidence. If I saw a ghost or UFO - that
      would make me a believer, but it wouldn't be "transferable" evidence. It
      wouldn't be repeatable or possible to examine - hence, I couldn't expect to
      convince others. I use a rule that more fantastic claims require more
      complete evidence for me to believe. Many people believe based on anecdotes -
      but I recommend expecting more solid evidence. At least consider that most
      illnesses spontaneously remiss and the afflicted can all too easily think they
      are cured because they WANT to be cured. There are hundreds of claimed
      systems of healing - I think you'd agree they can't all be right. But they are
      still trusted because of experience. A double blind study with careful
      protocol and a control group is a better way to test claims of healing.
      On first glimpse, the claim "this effect is nullified by the presence of
      skeptics" smells like "we can't fool the skeptics". But even if skeptics exude
      a "paranormal dampening field", it should still be possible for honest
      believers with a proper procedure to assess truth. If you have something
      real, you should try to perform better tests to hope to help enlighten the
      rest of the world. Or let me know the claim and I may be able to help you
      devise an objective test to measure it.
      --
      sincerely,

      Eric Krieg eric@... fax (215) 654-0651
      http://www.phact.org/e/skeptic
      People can sign up for the more active skeptic list by Fred at:
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/skeptics
      The skeptic discussion board is at:
      http://www.netdesignlab.com/phactboard/