The Greatest Christmas Gift of All

  • miss.reason
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2007

      Christmas is a time of WASTE. Precious time and money are squandered on presents that are often underappreciated (you've heard of re-gifting?).

      Instead of spending money you don't have, why not decide that this is the last year you will waste on buying presents for everyone? In the future cut out all Christmas gifts, or just give a few to some very special people in your life.

      If you are fortunate financially, as I am, why not give the money you usually throw away at Christmas time to charity? I recommend tax-deductible donations to The Seva Foundation. For as little as $50, Seva can restore sight to one blind person (by performing a low-cost cataract surgery in the poor countries of the world).

      Of course the greatest gift of all is the gift of REASON. Let's all dedicate the coming New Year to making more reasonable choices in our lives, and encouraging others (especially our government) to do the same.

      Happy Holidays,

      Miss Reason - http://MissReason.blogspot.com

    • Sidney Hagen
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2007
        I would like to respond to this post.  I am not really a big fan of Christmas.  I agree that much of what is done at this time of year is frivolous or materialist consumerism.

        I also believe that it is a time of year when people choose to celebrate Christmas with acts of charity.  The Salvation Army has one of their biggest fund drives.  Toys for tots does a great job distributing gifts to needy.  Many companies give out a Christmas bonus to say thank you to their employees for a year of hard work.  I was touched by the kindness of a stranger who sat next to me in a resturant.  We visited with him for a while and when we got up to go away he handed me $50.00 and said the Lord laid it on my heart to give this to you to buy something nice for your kids at Christmas.  I wasn't really needy but I will never forget the moment.

        I bought a few presents for my kids this year. It didn't put us in bankruptcy I spent money that I had.   I don't ever regret a dime spent on my kids.

        I tell my kids daily that I love them and could never replace them.  I really don't care if they have the latest greatest thing for this year.  I will never camp out in front of a store and fight with someone to buy the craze of the day.  If I choose to honor my kids with a few gifts I don't feel bad that I didn't send the money to some foundation either.

        I believe that post makes a false dichotomy between celebrating Christmas and acts of kindness.  Even Ebenezeer Scrooge when he got the Christmas spirit (Whatever that means) responded by treating his employee and his family with grace. (Scrooge wasn't as kind to the Christmas goose).  I would say, "If you do celebrate Christmas, do it with grace."

        Take care,

        Sid