Legalize Prostitution

  • miss.reason
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2007

      If a woman has a right to control her body, why shouldn't she be able to rent its use?  Prostitution is no more ignoble than digging a ditch, fixing a toilet, patching a roof, or operating on a brain tumor.  It is a service that millions of customers value highly, and they should have the right to purchase it legally.

      The most obvious rational argument against prostitution is that it increases the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, which is certainly true.  But you could say the same of all unprotected sexual intercourse.  Why ban paid sex but legalize free sex?  It doesn't make sense to have this double standard.

      Some suggest the decriminalization, rather than legalization of prostitution.  Regularly test prostitutes to insure that they don't carry a disease.  That is a valid point of view.  But why not require all adults to be tested regularly to insure they don't have a disease?  Wouldn't that be just as logical?  It makes more sense to me to legalize all consensual adult sexual activity.

      If prostitution were legalized, many women who are victimized by pimps and even by police would be less likely to be exploited.  There would be less murder and rape of prostitutes.  The criminal justice system would save billions of dollars that are wasted on a futile attempt to stop illicit sex.

      Laws against Prostitution are part of what I call "The Ultimate Evil" in this world--Irrational Thought. My VIDEO delves into the most graphic example of Irrationality—the 9/11 Terrorist Attack. My BLOG discusses applying Reason to other issues such as the Legalization of Victimless Crimes (Prostitution, Drugs, Gambling, etc.) and reforming Criminal Justice.

      VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/MissReason2

      BLOG: http://MissReason.blogspot.com