Exploding Toads Puzzle German Scientists

  • Ian
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2005
      Exploding Toads Puzzle German Scientists
      'We Have a Really Unique Story Here in Hamburg'

      BERLIN (April 27) - More than 1,000 toads have puffed up and exploded in a
      Hamburg pond in recent weeks, and scientists still have no explanation for
      what's causing the combustion, an official said Wednesday.

      Both the pond's water and body parts of the toads have been tested, but
      scientists have been unable to find a bacteria or virus that would cause the
      toads to swell up and pop, said Janne Kloepper, of the Hamburg-based Institute
      for Hygiene and the Environment.

      ''It's absolutely strange,'' she said. ''We have a really unique story here in
      Hamburg. This phenomenon really doesn't seem to have appeared anywhere
      before.''

      The toads at a pond in the upscale neighborhood of Altona have been blowing up
      since the beginning of the month, filling up like balloons until their stomachs
      suddenly burst.

      ''It looks like a scene from a science-fiction movie,'' Werner Schmolnik, the
      head of a local environment group, told the Hamburger Abendblatt daily. ''The
      bloated animals suffer for several minutes before they finally die.''

      More:
      http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050427103109990001

      See also:
      The End is Nigh
      By Marni Soupcoff
      http://www.taemag.com/issues/articleID.18516/article_detail.asp

      Sorted by relevance Sort by date

      Exploding Toads Puzzle German Scientists
      Washington Post, DC - 1 hour ago
      BERLIN -- More than 1,000 toads have puffed up and exploded in a Hamburg pond in
      recent weeks, and scientists still have no explanation for what's causing the
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/27/AR2005042700482.html

      Mystery of German exploding toads BBC News
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4486247.stm

      More:
      http://news.google.com/news?q=%22exploding+toads%22&svnum=100&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&tab=in&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d