  • Sidney Hagen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2004
      We are constantly inundated with a bleak picture of the future.  Current levels of greenhouse gasses are driving up the average earth temperature of the earth.  The polar ice caps are beginning to melt, soon water will begin to run in the streets of the low lying areas of the world.  Doom Gloom and all because you like to load up the five kids you chose to bring in the world in spite of the population explosion In your big SUV and drive them to soccer practice three times a week.  It is our fault because we are so selfish and short sighted.

      Consider this:

      Ice floating on water lowers the water level when it melts.  1st grade experiment fill a large container with ice water make a mark on the side of the container and let it melt.  The lesser density ice melts into a more dense form and the total volume of the liquid ice is lower than the frozen form.

      Since floating ice is not a factor in increasing water levels.  The only ice that may make a change in sea levels is locked up in glaciers and the overland portion of Antarctica.

      The ice in Antarctica is almost two miles thick.  The temperatures never remotely approach the freezing point of water.  Would an average temperature increase of a few degrees cause massive levels of water to pour out of the the two mile thick sheet of ice graced by 40-80 below winds.  I don't think so!

      Are there benefits to a climate change of the earth.  We tend to move to warmer climates.  Run your SUV longer and you may not have to move when you are old.  What about the benefits of thicker cloud canopy diffusing sunlight and shielding us from solar radiation.

      Most models of the origin of the earth suppose that the earth has had drastic climate changes still resulting in the preservation of life.  Why is it a major deal for us to control what happens next.

      Take care,

      Sid

      Do you Yahoo!?